1911 Firearm Addicts banner

Volkmann/optic cut or sell/trade??

2K views 41 replies 22 participants last post by  Smm0130 
#1 ·
I have a SS Volkmann commander with less than 200 rnds thru it. I’m moving to all optics on my pistols. I’m thinking about having the slide on the Volkmann cut for an optic. Would that be “just wrong” ? Or maybe sell or trade it for a WC or Nighthawk that is already optic ready? What do you guys think?

#9 ·
If you love the gun I say cut it... I am moving to all RDS over irons myself. The NH IOS may be the way to go... switch back to irons if you don't like it or want to sell later.

RDS is here to stay so enjoy your gun the way you want to shoot it. I have future plans to IOS my SA Professional and Harrison Champion.

Another choice is to see if you can send back to be milled... then it would still be all Volkman if that is something that would bother you.

#10 ·
I’ve had some communication with both Volkmann and Nighthawk. Both are quite a ways out on custom work. May just try to sell/trade it somewhere or somehow. Have to search around on the best way to do it. Should be very desirable to the right guy.

#14 ·
Reactions: Lineman1982
#23 ·
Send it to Nighthawk for there IOS cut. Best of both worlds.

I don’t have the IOS system, but thinking seriously about sending one of my NH or WC to them. Easy swap from Iron sights to optics and back.
I’m sure there are many addicts that have the IOS and can give reviews.
I have the Ios and its a great system. If Luke isnt set up to mill slides for RDS himself then NH is the way Id go

#24 ·
They are busy but they are good.

The Volkman your only gun? Probably not, send it off and shoot something else, it will be back before you know it.

Reactions: Samurai Jack
#26 ·
So it seems some of the guys are in the “don’t have it cut camp”. And some say send it to Luke or NH for a slide cut. So I’ll give it some thought and make a decision. Keep as is, have it cut or sell it. Keeping it with the iron sites only isn’t working all the well with my aging eyes!
Im thinking it would never leave the safe, which is where it’s been most of the time. And yes I do have other great choices to shoot if I was to send it off for work. I just don’t want commit an Egregious sin cutting a beautiful traditional 1911. That’s why I wanted some more experienced opinions

#27 ·
So it seems some of the guys are in the “don’t have it cut camp”. And some say send it to Luke or NH for a slide cut. So I’ll give it some thought and make a decision. Keep as is, have it cut or sell it. Keeping it with the iron sites only isn’t working all the well with my aging eyes!
Im thinking it would never leave the safe, which is where it’s been most of the time. And yes I do have other great choices to shoot if I was to send it off for work. I just don’t want commit an Egregious sin cutting a beautiful traditional 1911. That’s why I wanted some more experienced opinions
Honestly, my opinion only, the only sin is leaving a gun in the safe full time because you cant shoot it. Your eyes arent magically going to improve, sorry to say since I am 55 and in a similar boat.

If this was a classic build from a past one smith like Swenson Id be in the sell it camp but its not, its a great build from a current smith who built it to be shot. If Luke cant mill it himself and you ask him I bet his answer will be cut it so you can shoot it.

#29 ·
Just my .02

I’m not adverse to cutting some guns
I’d love to have my Guncrafter done but can’t due to the existing cut

I’ve sent guns back to nh to have their iOS added too

I have serval 1911s with iron sights I may never shoot again as I’m also going all rds , but I’d never cut them
All new purchases that are meant to be shot will be rds capable
That said if a Rodger’s , ct Bryant et all coms my way with irons I wouldn’t pass them up and I wouldn’t cut em either

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.