1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Max Otto von Stierlitz
2,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody got experience with the Vortex Venom sight? Getting ready to replace my Sparc II on a Ruger 22/45 Mark III (Picatinny rail mount). Looking for the Good, bad, ugly experiences with the Venom (3 MOA).

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
Yes i have 2 of them. I use them on 45 degree offset mounts on my AR9s.
Work great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
51 Posts
Anybody got experience with the Vortex Venom sight? Getting ready to replace my Sparc II on a Ruger 22/45 Mark III (Picatinny rail mount). Looking for the Good, bad, ugly experiences with the Venom (3 MOA).
(y) I think they are great. Dot / Image are good and the frame is thin for minimal interference with your sight picture. I've used them on carbines and handguns. Just gotta' turn it off/on, "no shake awake".

·
Max Otto von Stierlitz
2,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
It seems to be a decent mid-price range choice. The two complaints I’ve read the most about are the size of the sight window (lens) being small and the elevation adjustment being insufficient (especially for my gun/mount selection). I suspect that might be a rail MOA issue more than anything but could be fixed by a different rail or shim (if necessary).

·
Super Moderator
1,012 Posts
I have three Venoms. Two are mounted on 1911s, one a 45 and one a 9 and the other on a CZ. Two guns/optics have a minimum of 6,500 rounds; the third, a 45ACP has 9,000 rounds. Never a hiccup with the Venoms. Change the batteries once a year around New Years, same time I change the batteries in my home smoke. detectors.
And a big plus with Vortex is lifetime warranty, no questions asked, no matter who owns the optic!
Just sayin'

·
Registered
51 Posts
It seems to be a decent mid-price range choice. The two complaints I’ve read the most about are the size of the sight window (lens) being small and the elevation adjustment being insufficient (especially for my gun/mount selection). I suspect that might be rail MOA issue more than anything but could be fixed by a different rail or shim (if necessary).
I've heard that small window complaint, too. I think that is a non-issue if you shoot with both eyes open and use target focus like you are supposed to with a dot. It's like the thin wall isn't even there. On the opposite window size end, I have a Sig Romeo3 MAX and it's huuuuuuuge! It does allow you to see more in the window and it also has a thin walled housing so I'm good with it. The Holosun 507CX2 with ACSS reticle has a pretty thick housing like the RMRs - it's quite obtrusive to the sight picture, which I really don't like.

·
Max Otto von Stierlitz
2,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for that, pcar157.
Actually the warranty is why I’ll go with Vortex again. I bought my SPARC II the first year they came out with that version (so it ain’t exactly a new thing ). After I had it for three years or so, the ‘Off’ switch stopped working and it didn’t auto shut off either. So literally for years, I just took the battery out, to turn it off.

Well, long story short, I finally called Vortex CS a couple days ago and told them of this old problem I had been “working around” for several years now. They said, “sure, send it in”. I was prepared to box it up and send it in, at my expense. The young lady asked for my email so they could email me a pre-paid shipping label! Unreal.

So, within two hours, sight was off my gun, boxed and dropped off at the Post Office. Something I had been putting off for years because I was sure it was “out of warranty” and then dreading the customer service interrogation and ultimate excuse for not being able to repair it... all vanished within just a couple minutes on the phone with them! I was the original purchaser but have long since lost my receipt and it’s original box - none of that was required.

Vortex is a top notch company from what I can tell. Their customer repair sheet even asked if there was any sentimental value, in case they have to replace the entire sight. I laughed when the gal told me it would take them four or five days - I told her I believed I could wait that long since I had been playing the old “remove the battery” game for the last five years (or longer).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts