Wait time for holster

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by pscipio03, Dec 12, 2018.

1. pscipio03

pscipio03 Fun O' Meter on FULL

Mar 11, 2013
    So what's the longest you've waited for a holster? In Jan I'll hit a one year mark for a holster I ordered, well obviously Jan of this year.
    I knew the wait would be awhile, but we're already double the lead time advertised, and I haven't been given any type of update. I check about a month ago just to see, and while the owner talked with me, he couldn't give me a time frame.
    With custom pistols, I know lead times are estimates, and can easily be double the wait. And, honestly, they're worth it (at least mine have been).
    But for leather... I dunno. I can see myself getting frustrated if Jan comes and goes and I'm still sans my pew-pew pouch.

Mike A, FWoo45 and ZoidMeister like this.
  2. Jollyroger1

Jollyroger1 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2015
    I’m about 8-9 months in for some Rafter-L leather. His books were closed for the longest time, and I was able to get an order in a few months ago. He had no advertised wait time, but I went in knowing I was gonna wait. I haven’t reached out and probably won’t. Guess I’ll get it when I get it.

3. Wheels No More

Wheels No More Long gone

May 12, 2015
    If you fly a warbird leather holster your wait time will not be crazy.
    6-8 weeks tops I would guess, usually less.

Mike A, JPCPTx, WWB and 4 others like this.
  4. Sneaky One

Sneaky One Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    Paul is making me one as we speak. He said around 4 weeks. His stuff is top notch.

JPCPTx, Mike Meints, FWoo45 and 3 others like this.
  5. pscipio03

Mar 11, 2013
    Yeah I've got a Warbid OWB, but as far as I know, he doesn't make an appendix leather holster for a railed EDC X9.

WHEELS likes this.
  6. LPRoad

LPRoad Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Mar 16, 2015
    Longest was 12 weeks on a holster I was told would be done in 16, so I didn't complain. I've been in the boat you are in with a custom knife order though. I would much rather artisans would overestimate their build time than underestimate it.

7. Babboonbobo

Babboonbobo Avatar is back to my favorite things!

Nov 18, 2014
    I’m not sure who this leather maker is but I just can’t see someone with soooo many orders they are out a year? I mean that seems a bit extreme unless they do it more as a hobby than a business.

It’s a holster for crying out loud? Not a custom built hot rod from the ground up to Riddler specs that can be built in 2-3 years so a year for this seems a bit much to me.

Unless they do it on purpose to create a perception of exclusivity:o.o:

That is why I go to Paul, I’ve gotten a couple sets from him, awesome work.
    I am going to do my next one from Wright leather works down the street from me.

Mike A, Mike Meints, ccssid and 2 others like this.
  8. 45caldude

45caldude Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2015
    That seems beyond excessive. My longest wait has been 3 months. I do understand the X9 being new may cause some extra delay, but still seems long.

Jollyroger1 likes this.
  9. Dangerous Brian

Dangerous Brian Pigtails and butter please...

Dec 9, 2013
    I am at about 2.5 years wait now for my next gunleather order.

The longest wait that I have had previously for gunleather was 3.5 years (that was with a different maker).

I'm picking up a pair of custom boots this weekend that I ordered 10 years ago. That's been a bit of a journey.

Also at 3.5 years now for a pistol.

Everything cool takes time, but when these last remaining back orders are filled I am out. I have run those yards and waited long enough.

10. pscipio03

Mar 11, 2013
    Guess I should have mentioned it's 5 Shot Leather.
    I knew it would be a wait since everyone who has one of John's holsters literally swears by them. And to his credit he's been great to talk with each time I've called. For a craftsman to do his craft, I know it takes time. Not bitching, just kinda wondering when do I say I'm getting a bit fed up, vs maybe I'm being too impatient.

11. tac45

tac45 What me worry ? Supporting Addict

Mar 4, 2012
    call him back and ask if the calf he bought to make your holster turned into a cow yet ,or does he want you to send better feed . :eek:

Mike A, Fred_G, purple bikerr and 6 others like this.
  12. B81

B81 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2018
    :jawdrop:

You are a far more patient man than I.

13. 605atthe wheels

605atthe wheels In the staging lanes Supporting Addict

Oct 19, 2012
    They look nice,(maybe 15% fancier than Paul's) but no fargin' way would I wait for 1 yr for a holster. I have 3 Warbirds now & didn't wait more than 6 weeks for any of them including getting the blue gun from Wilson on the Centurion Beretta when they 1st came out.

2yrs + on a "Chamber's or Roger's" etc custom pistol I'm fine with. YMMV.

Call Paul :D

George

JPCPTx likes this.
  14. theJanitor

theJanitor Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2014
    a 5shotleather SME will normally be well over a year wait. unless you get lucky and there's something in the queue that gets cancelled, or he's cutting the exact thing you need, and he can slide it in.

I'm lucky to have got a 5" for myself and a 4.25" for my brother

15. B81

B81 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2018
    Do you at least have the option to cancel without penalty? Given that you've waited well past the quoted wait time, it seems that he at least owes you that much.

16. tac45

tac45 What me worry ? Supporting Addict

Mar 4, 2012
    I hope you didn’t order any Shark ! That would explain the problem.
    We’re fighting back —— hard. !! :mad:

FWoo45 and Babboonbobo like this.
  17. pscipio03

Mar 11, 2013
    Not sure. He is upfront saying he charges your credit card when you order because he batch makes the SME's. But to be honest had I known it was going to take a year, I would have probably just skipped it and stuck with my kydex AIWB.
    Again, I get it on the custom side, and I'm sure his holster is worth it. Just being honest in saying if I had known it was going to take at least 12 months, i would have probably not done it.

18. pscipio03

Mar 11, 2013
    I wish I could remember where that 20 week timeframe came from. Can not for the life of me remember- and perhaps I am mistaken.

19. psafety

psafety ex Rent-a-Engineer

Oct 11, 2018
    I've gotten 2 from John, none recent. Excellent work and back then it was app 6 months and worth the wait. Also got one from Warbird which is also fine leather.

20. Wheels No More

Wheels No More Long gone

May 12, 2015
    John's work is top notch there is no doubt.
    The other maker that has an insane wait time is Del Fatti.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted