Walnut Media for refinish?

Discussion in '1911 Gunsmithing' started by Eastwood1, Apr 2, 2019.

1. Eastwood1

Eastwood1 Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2017
    hello I have looked so accept my apologies if it’s posted some where. Want to refinish one of my guns An was curious if it’s possible or ok to bead blast with a fine walnut shell? Or even the Cobb? Gun is steel. Obviously alum ox would be ideal but would need to order vs the walnut seems to be in stock a few places. Thanks

2. Karsten

Karsten Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2013
    I don't know the answer but if Walnut Shell can be used check out Petco for Lizard bedding....About half the cost of Walnut Shell cleaning media.

Karsten

FWoo45 likes this.

3. Capthobo

Capthobo NRA Endowment member Supporting Addict

Nov 9, 2016
    Walnut shell media takes me approximately 6 to 8 hrs to polish brass spent shell casings in a tumbler. I can’t imagine how long it would take to do steel. I think glass bead blast is the best for refinishing as the walnut shells and corn cob media is for polishing.

4. Eastwood1

Nov 19, 2017
    C5A73E56-9494-43D7-8CE0-CB85ABBF79A0.jpeg B592746D-15FF-46F2-A261-1F1EE34A3402.jpeg I was thinking for removing park to be cerakoted ect. Been playing around with some cheap cold bluing and after about 3 attempt using 3 diff methods got it to look pretty good on my test slide just not sure how will hold up ect. An not sure if want to do the actual gun in a blue or cera. Here is 3 applications of the blue so far.

5. Capthobo

Capthobo NRA Endowment member Supporting Addict

Nov 9, 2016
    Is there oil or other surface protectant on the slide now? Pictures show a lot of gloss for a parkerized product. Or even blueing over parkerized.

6. Eastwood1

Nov 19, 2017
    Yes did wipe down with a small bit of oil turned out fairly shiny/glossy. I sanded off the all the park an Finished off and stopped with a 800 so was fairly shinbefore bluing

7. azpoolguy

azpoolguy Well-Known Member

Jul 4, 2013
    If you are going to prep for Cerakote it needs to be done with 120grit Alum. Oxide.

The Cerakote needs the “tooth” to bite into for a mechanical bond it does not etch the steel.

wrmiller likes this.
  8. Eastwood1

Nov 19, 2017
    Yea from what I have seen seems like that’s the stuff. Just wish they sold it around so didn’t have to order. Harbor has 80 grit but don’t want to take any chances

9. azpoolguy

azpoolguy Well-Known Member

Jul 4, 2013
    Where are you located? Are you close to a Grainger?

10. Eastwood1

Nov 19, 2017
  11. Eastwood1

Nov 19, 2017
    Yep have one about 30 min from me. Sweet thank you will have to head that way

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted