1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a COLT LWC 04840XE as my carry and, at times, it's a bit cumbersome in certain carrying situations. Fair to say that I really like the LWC and it's flawless operation.
I'm looking for constructive opinion regarding the Walther PPK/s Black as a smaller caliber carry. (pn4796006)
I've never owned one and have fired one once, decades ago. I want to own one. I've always liked the PPK /s and I admire it's size. For me, the Beretta m9 is a bit large, as well.
The caliber 380 is a close-quarters round, 25ft or closer compered to the LWC's 50ft for me. I've looked at 9mm counterparts but admire and want the PPK/s.
The PPK/s is hard to find here in SW Colorado and I have no clue about its quality, finish, and mechanical fit.

I appreciate your input.

Merry Christmas

·
Banned
4,168 Posts
I had one quite a while ago. Kept biting the web of my hand. Sold it. Try a Kahr CW9. Half the cost and remarkably reliable and accurate. It really surprised me.
Agree with HooDoo... it is small and compact but it will bite you if not given the time to properly grip it. Fun to shoot in a controlled situation. Bonus, not tupperware!

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Agree with HooDoo... it is small and compact but it will bite you if not given the time to properly grip it. Fun to shoot in a controlled situation. Bonus, not tupperware!
The brand new version has an extended duck bill on the back, to prevent bite, it’s pretty nice. One piece feed ramp too. I rented the new one at my lgs and it’s a reliable tack driver. Blowbacks are not fun to shoot, or I would purchase one.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The brand new version has an extended duck bill on the back, to prevent bite... One piece feed ramp... it’s a reliable tack driver. Blowbacks...
Thanks. Thak all of you. All good points. I could drive 300 miles through mountain snow storms to actually hold a Ft Smith mfr'd PPK but I'd rather not. I'll wait for my LGS to receive one. As a carry, compared to my LWC, I've considered the tack-driver feeling. Might be a pop gun relatively.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
I have two German Walther PPKs. Never had the so-called Walther slide bite. But I have skinny hands with long fingers. I have both a 380 and a 32 and both are 100 percent reliable with ball ammo. I don’t know about the new Fort Smith guns but I wouldn’t shoot hollow points in the older Walthers. I would use mine as a carry gun if looking for a small firearm. Because of the fixed barrel they are tack drivers despite their small size.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,842 Posts
I had two stainless models in the late 80’s, early 90’s. Our Chief Deputy kept authorizing, then rescinding, the carrying of 380’s. Back then they were considered the Rolls Royce of pocket pistols and I loved both of mine. I also briefly owned a Mahurhin built 32. All were reliable and I was only bit once, but it was common for new owners. When Smith was producing them they increased the size of the beaver tail and polished the sharp edges on the underside of the slide but I never bought one. For me it was a perfect carry piece and I look forward to seeing a Arkansas model as I wouldn’t mind getting another. I’m retired now and can carry what I want:)

·
Registered
428 Posts
I have a new (Arkansas production) PPK/S in stainless I bought right around release time ~5-6 months ago.

Construction is good and it has been reliable for me. It’s purely an entertainment value/Bond gun for me as I have no intention to carry it for a few reasons - first of which it’s quite the hunk of metal (heavy) for a relatively light chambering.

It’s fun to shoot if not different. The DA is firm and stacks a little but is smooth. The SA also a bit firm but breaks cleanly. As others have mentioned, the blowback design makes .380 Auto feel like a robust 9mm as far as felt recoil goes, but it’s totally manageable. I have to modify my grip a little to keep mine from FTE, and my thumbs can block ejection (and the port) as I’m a lefty. That’s not a pistol issue, it’s a shooter issue, but if one is a lefty and shoots thumbs forward, this could be a thing to be aware of.

Some of the milling leaves slightly sharp edges, and the beaver tail is no exception. Shooting this pistol without gloves over 100 or so rounds can and will wear on the skin between the thumb and forefinger if one grips up on the pistol. It’s just the design. I shoot with gloves most times so it’s a non issue for me, but it’s a thing so be aware.

Overall I love the pistol for entertainment purposes. I have no intent of selling mine and am more than happy with the build quality and function. It is an elegant design, albeit well dated in comparison to modern sub-compact designs.

·
NRA Endowment member
3,743 Posts
I have two PPKS 380 caliber. A blue safe queen made in Germany and an interarms stainless that sometimes enters the carry rotation. Never been bit by the slide and carries very nicely for me. Another small 380 I carry is a Colt Mustang.
Gun Firearm Photograph White Trigger

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have a new (Arkansas production) PPK/S in stainless I bought right around release time ~5-6 months ago.

Construction is good and it has been reliable for me. It’s purely an entertainment value/Bond gun for me as I have no intention to carry it for a few reasons - first of which it’s quite the hunk of metal (heavy) for a relatively light chambering.
The "entertainment value" is a description I've not heard yet until now but I do appreciate your meaning. I've always wanted one strictly for it's historical and movie merit.

Thanks to all of you for your input.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.