Walther PPQ M2 Navy - Accuracy Testing

Discussion in 'Autoloaders' started by Sterling Archer, Aug 23, 2016.

1. Sterling Archer

Sterling Archer Codename Duchess Supporting Addict

Aug 30, 2015
    Unboxing
    I got the call today that my pistols were in so I ran down and grabbed them. My M&P Shield went straight to the smith for the Apex kit and 10-8 sights, this only needed new sights so it was quick.

It comes with a second recoil spring for when you're using a suppressor.

20160823_173612-1.jpg

I've never had a polymer pistol come with a test target before, that's cool!

20160823_173733-1.jpg

10-8 Performance front and rear sight. Front sight will get painted florescent orange here soon.

20160823_180416-1.jpg

20160823_180410-1.jpg

The only other modification coming is Apex's trigger and tuned bar. The trigger feel is already great but there is a bit of travel before you reach the break that the Apex trigger will take care of. It breaks at 4# 15oz and is by far the best stock trigger I've ever felt in a non-1911. The Apex trigger and a couple extra mags will be delivered on Thursday from Brownells and then we'll hit the range! Video will accompany a range report.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2016
    limbkiller, dgi, Bro. Pappaw and 6 others like this.
  2. Jollyroger1

Jollyroger1 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2015
    Woohoo! Congrats!

Sterling Archer likes this.

3. Sterling Archer

Aug 30, 2015
    So...how do us operator types keep the thread protector from loosening itself while engaging threats when unsuppressed? :alien1:

:roflmaro:

But really, how do you find it best to secure it? A little dab of Red Loctite? ;)

4. Kyle Burt

Kyle Burt Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2015
    I generally take them off and go unpretected. They just always end up being a hassle for me. If you want to keep it on a rubber o-ring works good for keeping it on, like 1 off a hk barrel. Use to do that on my hk tactical

5. Kyle Burt

Kyle Burt Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2015
    BTW, Cool gun!

6. Sterling Archer

Aug 30, 2015
    [​IMG]

dgi, Bro. Pappaw, Blue Ridge and 2 others like this.
  7. Blue Ridge

Blue Ridge Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    Very nice gun. I like Walthers. I rented a P99 at the range ten + years back and shot so well with it, I went home and ordered one. Then bought another a couple of years later when there was talk of discontinuing them. In single action, it's the best stock trigger on a polymer I've ever fired.

8. Raylan Givens

Raylan Givens Never Forget

Aug 18, 2015
    Love my PPQ M1 9mm. I think you will enjoy it.

Jollyroger1 and Sterling Archer like this.
  9. Colorado Sonny

Colorado Sonny Deo Volente Supporting Addict

Sep 25, 2015
    A little removable Loctite or a star washer.

10. Sterling Archer

Aug 30, 2015
    Thanks, guys!

I think I'm really going to like the ergonomics. This is the first pistol I've ever had that I can reach the mag release AND slide release from the same position without moving my hand. Previously it's always been one or other and obviously the mag release wins, I think this will really speed up my reload drill times. I have the small backstrap on and it feels great, smaller than a Gen4 Glock.

The sights are taking some getting used to though. I think it's because the pistol has such a deep beavertail and the rear sight sits as far back as possible, this isn't the case on my others.

Draw a line straight down from the rear sight and see where it is in relation to the grip on these:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now compared to the Walther:

[​IMG]
    It'll be interesting to see what this ultimately means at the range. I'm guessing I'll be a little slower until my brain and eyes 'muscle memory' all get on the same page.

dgi and Bro. Pappaw like this.
  11. Bro. Pappaw

Bro. Pappaw Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2016
    Sweet. Your tempting me.

12. Sterling Archer

Aug 30, 2015
    Apex Trigger
    Brownells came early!

20160824_122711-1.jpg

I installed the Apex trigger and while significantly shorter action it is not smooth at all. It's impacting/rubbing/something that's causing an issue. It's audible as well as tactile. I made a quick video and sent it to Apex asking their thoughts.

It's like there's a heavy bump, a little slack, then the break. Something is amiss.

On a side note I've never had a polymer gun come from the factory with a polished feedramp.

20160824_133858-1.jpg

Blue Ridge likes this.
  13. Sterling Archer

Aug 30, 2015
    From dry-firing and inspecting it feels like the issue with the Apex trigger bar is where it lifts the safety plunger (the part on the left that sticks up.) Here is the stock compared to the Apex, the Apex is currently installed and I'm holding the stock one behind the gun.

20160824_165313-1.jpg

14. dgi

dgi NRA Life Member

Sep 10, 2011
    Looks like a nice clean break, but take up sounds terrible... Like youre breaking through the first stage to get to the main wall...

Hopefully its an easy fix!

15. dgi

dgi NRA Life Member

Sep 10, 2011
    PS: love the way these poly walthers shoot!

16. Sterling Archer

Aug 30, 2015
    Well the Apex trigger is going back. It increased my trigger pull from 4# 15oz to 5# 7oz and I haven't heard back from Apex on the video. The longish pre-travel with the stock trigger really isn't that bad and the stock trigger shoe actually feels better to me than the flat one. I'm going to do some research and see if I can easily get it down to the 4-4.5# range.

Tomorrow I break it in during a short morning class.

17. Jollyroger1

Jollyroger1 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2015
    That's disappointing. That thing looks sick, too bad it didn't live up.

Sterling Archer and Bro. Pappaw like this.
  18. Sterling Archer

Aug 30, 2015
    Overall I'm not too sad over it, that's $130 I can spend on ammo instead!

Jollyroger1 and Bro. Pappaw like this.
  19. SLAM37

SLAM37 Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2016
    Good move letting a qualified smith change out your sights on the Shield. They are on ridiculously tight...particularly the rear. Once the rear is off, may as well put in the Apex striker block kit and trigger kit just like you are doing. Look forward to a range report...

20. Sterling Archer

Aug 30, 2015
    First rounds and trigger tuning
    I put 200 rounds through it on Saturday and another 100 on Monday. Only malfunction has been a failure to return to battery that was a little odd but it's still being ran in.

Today I stripped it down for a cleaning and decided to polish up the trigger parts now that they've accumulated some wear marks. It doesn't need it by any means but I just couldn't help myself.

First up was the trigger bar-

20160830_172702-1.jpg

I polished for effect, not for looks. I didn't want to change anything just smooth it out.

20160830_185240-1.jpg

Next up I polished the slide release which the trigger rotates on.

20160830_191907-1.jpg

Not particularly pretty but they're smooth as silk now. It made an already sweet trigger just that much nicer. At just under 5 pounds right now it's a bit heavier than I prefer so Wednesday I've got a new spring being delivered that should bring the pull into the low 4s.

Some video of it running during Saturdays workout-

Last edited: Aug 31, 2016
    Blue Ridge and limbkiller like this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted