Want a WWII era 1911, but....

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by Amsdorf, Dec 11, 2011.

1. Amsdorf

Amsdorf Banned

Sep 24, 2011
    I've developed a keen interest in collecting WWII era firearms and would love to have a WWII era 1911, but....as far as I can tell they set you back really big bucks.

What would you recommend as the "next best thing to being there"?

Thanks,
    Paul

2. deadite

deadite #15 to Register! Supporting Addict

Aug 17, 2011
    Springfield Armory GI? I had one and it was a solid 1911.

deadite

3. dilespla

dilespla Never made it to step 12 Supporting Addict

Oct 12, 2011
    That, or one that's actually from the period, but parts mixed and matched. I've seen several that the parts weren't original to the gun and they usually sell for a lot cheaper.

4. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Schütze

Aug 17, 2011
    You can get in the game for $1500-$2500 I believe.. A shooter ya-know... Ron

5. Chris

Chris YOU ****!!!! Supporting Addict

Aug 17, 2011
    Good point about the mixed parts. There's always the 01918 and 01911A1 repro's as well if you're just out for the appearance.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2011
  6. deadguy

deadguy Eddie Van Halen Supporting Addict

Sep 7, 2011
    You can find a pre WWII era original parts with a refinished slide or minor pitting in the $1200-1500 range. I've seen some 1920's productions in that same range. If you want a pristine example of these be prepared to go well over $2000.

However, I have also seen some ore-WWII models go under $1000. You really have to know what you are looking for with these. The slide with a serial number dating it to 1918 doesn't make it a pistol from that era. Some slides and frames were swapped back then and many of them underwent some doctoring through the years.

Do your due diligence if you are serious about these models. If you find a good one in the range you are willing to pay, snatch it up. It's only going to increase in value.

7. deadite

deadite #15 to Register! Supporting Addict

Aug 17, 2011
    The problem with getting older guns like this one is that you'll end up not shooting it because of fears of damaging it. If I had the desire and the funds, I would just go for a Colt repro or the Springfield.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's my 1918 WW1 USGI Colt. Apologies for the overused pic. :)

deadite

8. Craig19

Craig19 Member

Aug 18, 2011
    I have a Springfield GI, as in my Avatar. I have swapped out the grips to orginal WWII grips. This is good enough for me for now, someday I would like to have the real deal, but like Deadite said, it won't be shot much, so I would rather full out the collection first.

9. Amsdorf

Amsdorf Banned

Sep 24, 2011
    Where did you get the grips?

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted