Warm climate EDC issue

Discussion in '1911 Carry' started by ScottnGB, Oct 15, 2018.

1. ScottnGB

ScottnGB Member

Mar 8, 2018
    i sold my Sig 938 which was easily concealed even with the T-shirt’s and shorts typically worn here in N Florida. I am having trouble getting used to my DW Guardian as my EDC and feel it’s too heavy and prints too readily in light clothing. I am questioning 1911s as a workable carry pistol in a warm climate. I’d love to hear some opinions on this. What would a suitable EDC be for an addict that owns only 1911s?

2. El Perdido

El Perdido Fictional Western Sage

Oct 3, 2011
    I always wear a t shirt and a cover shirt, Hawaiian type, or similar.

Works with my Baer TRS, Stinger, Colt's Commander and Wiley Clapp Government

3. Babboonbobo

Babboonbobo Avatar is back to my favorite things!

Nov 18, 2014
    I hear good things about the Sig P365? Just because you love 1911s like the rest of us doesn’t mean you can’t use another model for edc as long as you practice to become proficient with it.

LHA4Assault and tokuboi69 like this.
  4. Hubbabubba

Hubbabubba Member

Jun 19, 2018
    I live in Central Florida and my EDC is a Kimber Ultra Carry. I can wear a loose t-shirt over it, but I prefer to wear a t-shirt with an over shirt. It keeps the bare metal away from my skin. The S.S. of the slide and the alloy frame have held up well, but the safety has turned a dark grey. I think that is some kind of pot metal with a coating.

5. ChuckC

ChuckC Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Feb 2, 2016
    I wear a 5” gun in the summer with a t-shirt and shorts. The right holster makes all the difference. I carry appendix 150% of the time.

cwoods, WhoIsJohnGalt? and CT72 like this.
  6. FWoo45

FWoo45 Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2017
    Why did you sell your p938? Asking because I intend to carry one for the summer.

7. ScottnGB

ScottnGB Member

Mar 8, 2018
    To add to the needed funds necessary for another 1911.... why else/ of course!

8. C5brangus

C5brangus Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2018
    What belt and holster are you using? Having a quality belt and hoster is a must. I live in South Texas and before purchasing an EDC X9 all I carried was a commander (38oz) or government (43oz) sized 1911 for edc. I use a bullbelt steel core belt and milt sparks versa max 2 holsters. I haven’t had any problems with printing with this set up. My usual summer time attire is the Columbia light weight shorts with an Under Armour loose fit shirt or a fishing shirt. On days when I’m wearing athletic shorts I carry a Smith and Wesson 340 M&P. When adjusting to the X9 I did have to start wearing an undershirt due to the grips rubbing when carrying at 3 o’clock. After losing a few pounds and switching to appendix carry that hasn’t been a problem. Hope this helps.

9. SLAM37

SLAM37 Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2016
    Body type has a lot to do with it, which is why what works for me, may not work for you. At the end of the day, just carry something that is reliable in a decent service-sized caliber -- doesn't have to be a 1911. For me, a Glock 26 fits the bill for EDC -- and with a spare G-17 magazine I feel pretty good about it.

I respect Clint Smith, but when he said words to the effect of "guns should be comforting, not comfortable" I think folks too often take this to mean that if it is painful to carry they just need to suck it up. I disagree. Nowadays, there are many solid options for EDC in good service-level calibers (9mm/.40/.45) with good holster options to fit all body types so that you can find a comfortable set-up. Half the fun is figuring out what works for you.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
  10. UBOATDOC

UBOATDOC THE DOCTOR WILL SEE YOU......LATER Supporting Addict

Apr 5, 2015
    Well....I am circumferentially challenged, so I don't wear an IWB/OWB holster. In the hottest of summer it is a J frame in a front pocket with some sort of sticky holster. Just began wearing my Miami Classic and my Officer's LW with a t-shirt and then an overshirt/flannel/jacket dependent on the now variable late fall weather in NM. I just never got used to a waist carry, even hated it in military and I was skinny then. And I am probably channeling my inner Don Johnson anyway.

11. pistolwretch

pistolwretch Dremel jockey Supporting Addict

Aug 26, 2011
    In warm or even HOT temps I wear a square bottomed, unbuttoned short sleeve shirt over a t-shirt.
    Gat is carried at 4 o'clock in an inside the waist band holster.
    It helps if the shirt has an aggressive pattern to break up the obvious lines of the rig 'printing'. Think of a 'Cooke Street' Hawaiian shirt. The material is light enough to be cool, but stiff enough to sweep out of the way.
    Serious gun toters tailor their dress to meet their carry needs.

Cw1023, Capthobo, Amp Mangum and 9 others like this.
  12. Fred_G

Fred_G Known Agitator

Dec 29, 2015
    T-shirt with a short sleeve button down shirt unbuttoned works well for me carrying OWB in Louisiana. I guess I am getting a bit older and cranky, don't really care if I print.

13. pistolwretch

Aug 26, 2011
    Here in AZ it's like a game to me.
    Not unlike poker.
    I'm sensitive and looking for 'tells'.
    I'm also avoiding any tells.
    If the wind blows my shirt past my rig in the parking lot,
    I'll usually just change my 'tack' a bit, to have the wind blow it back,
    rather than reach for and adjust my shirt........for example.

WhoIsJohnGalt?, Kip, WC145 and 2 others like this.
  14. pistolwretch

Aug 26, 2011
    If I need to bend over at the local market to get sumpin' off a low shelf, I'll 'gently' observe the various angles and possible eyes,
    then do a full 'bend-over' that prints my rig like all heck!
    Thing is, I have established 'no-eyes' on that angle and I'm offering 'no-tell' by odd posture.
    It's usually the way a concealed carrier moves, rather than the concealment that gives them away.

15. pistolwretch

Aug 26, 2011
    Of course, there are many other, unrelated to rig tells.

Head on a swivel is one.
    The guy that is constantly scanning his environment.
    Move your eyes a lot, move your head a minimum.

Watch for the guy that moves his 'strong-side' away from anyone within 12 ft.

Aware, alert, armed.

16. UBOATDOC

UBOATDOC THE DOCTOR WILL SEE YOU......LATER Supporting Addict

Apr 5, 2015
    Despite my not carrying at the waist, I check myself for printing, wear dark shirts that don't print the straps. When I am going in a store and once inside, I do scan a little and look for obvious hinky a-holes who are looking for trouble....then as I am walking around, I try to be the gray man, smile at people I make eye contact with and move on. It does not matter what you carry, how many extra mags, how good you are at center mass shots if a couple punks run into the place with AK's or shotguns.....that's trouble for any of us. I make a concerted effort to go to stores, restaurants, pubs etc near where I live that are really boring 99% of the time. Boring, dull, nothing going on keeps us from getting in gunfights. And staying out of one is way preferable.

kwkid55, bobo3020, Fred_G and 2 others like this.
  17. WhoIsJohnGalt?

WhoIsJohnGalt? We Are! Supporting Addict

Feb 20, 2018
    I spent a lot of this past summer in the humid South (which, really, is only just now beginning to let go here haha) carrying a full-size 1911 in a Milt Sparks Summer Special 2 IWB holster.

Sometimes, I wore an undershirt / T-shirt under the gun and an untucked shirt like a camp-style or Hawaiian shirt over it (and that, sometimes buttoned and sometimes not). Also wore an untucked polo-style shirt as the covering garment. Also...sometimes wore an A-shirt / “wifebeater” under the gun and an untucked, XXL T-shirt over the gun. Either way, I don’t want the gun and / or holster against my tender love-handles LOL.

With the SS2 holster, I can gently tilt the gun just a tad forward, helping ease printing concerns from the full-size 1911 grip. There still will have been a touch of printing at times - I just don’t feel like most of my fellow-man is paying enough attention to me to notice.

If not carrying a 1911, I carried a Glock 26, also typically in a Sparks SS2 IWB.

For a 1911, I’m usually carrying two spare magazines in a Sparks IWB magazine holder, their IPD model. For the Glock, a spare 10- or 15-rounder rides in a Magholder LLC horizontal carrier.

And with either a 1911 or the Glock, I usually had a J-frame S&W .38 in a front pocket holster.

Really...these are my most common carry options all year long, not just over the summer. I can’t say enough good things about the Sparks SS2 - it just works very well for me. Oh, and as noted - a good belt. I wear A&G Gunleather belts all the time, even when not carrying on the belt otherwise.

I’m a big boy who is on a slow-but-steady weight-loss journey. It will be interesting to see if my carriage options change as the waist size comes down. I don’t think they will, as I’m assuming my cover garments will simply have a bit more flowing comfi-ness to them LOL.

Fred_G, UBOATDOC and FWoo45 like this.
  18. hamholfarm

hamholfarm 1911Addicted-> Avoiding Intervention

May 10, 2014
    WhoIsJohnGalt,

When you are wearing both the Milt Sparks SS2 and the IPD, how many sizes up from your normal pants waist size do you increase by to get them to fit?

The issue I don't like, is when I increase the waist size to fit IWB, then the seat and crotch of the pants are way too baggy. How do you (and others) get around this?

Thanks

WhoIsJohnGalt? likes this.
  19. WhoIsJohnGalt?

Feb 20, 2018
    @hamholfarm - this was the biggest surprise for me when I very first tried IWB carry a little over four years ago - I didn’t have to go up in waist size.

My typical jeans are as simple as they come - Member’s Mark brand from Sam’s Club. Me big spender, hm? Haha - these are not the most fashionable jeans but they are durable and fit fine. They are their “relaxed fit” but are not overly baggy. My usual cargo shorts are also from Sam’s. I also have some Dockers-brand khakis and some Columbia-brand pants, their “ROC2” (Rugged Outdoor Chinos, IIRC) - as long as any of those fit me comfortably “normally,” I’ve been able to wear the IWB stuff with them without moving up a size.

I’m a bit baffled by it - that was one of the reasons I delayed years - heck, a couple of decades - before even trying IWB at all. I didn’t want to have to buy a size or two up and have two sets of pants - one for when carrying IWB, another for when not.

Two things that I figure are helping. One, the general thin-ness of the 1911 and, therefore, its holster. I can tell a difference when wearing the Glock IWB - its just thicker “enough” that I notice it. Two - where I carry that IPD mag pouch. When I first tried it on, I positioned it right at 9 o’clock on the belt - and it really hurt haha. Slid it back to about 8-ish or so - perfect. It rides almost in a little “hollow” there that far back on the hip. It’s also a high-riding pouch. I work with it all the time at the range and dry-practice at home and am confident with being able to reach the magazines and bring them forward to the gun, etc.

Do I sound like I’ve obsessed over this stuff? LOL - I have. I’ve tried so many holsters and magazine carriers, different belt positions, etc. - these are just the ones that keep coming to the top of the heap for me.

UBOATDOC and FWoo45 like this.
  20. WhoIsJohnGalt?

Feb 20, 2018
    As I ponder all this a bit more, two more notions come to mind that might or might not make a difference to someone considering a 1911 for warm-weather carry.

Where I live, it’s humid a lot of the year. And I tend to sweat a lot. Thus, I won’t carry a blued gun IWB in hot weather. I’ve managed to impart a bit of finish damage to a blued gun thanks to my precious bodily fluids (“Dr. Stranglove,” anyone?) and thusly tend to carry a stainless 1911 when the sweat is going to be a-flowing. Even a parkerized gun like a Springfield Mil-Spec. Or, of course, the Glock 26 if I’m going that route. Otherwise, the blued guns ride OWB in the summer, with my choice being a Privateer Leather Avenger-style holster with a sweat-shield built-in.

Next, a biggie, at least to me. I’m quick to tout 1911 IWB carry, etc., but quick to forget - I don’t carry like that all week long.

Where I work, carry is a no-go. Thus, I take steps to be armed during the work-week that don’t include carrying 40-50-plus hours. I’ve set myself up to be able to carry before and after work, etc. - but that doesn’t involve putting-on and taking-off an IWB holster back-and-forth during the day.

Outside of work - evenings, weekends, holidays, travel, etc. - a 1911 is on and it’s likely carried IWB. But that makes it a part-time thing for me right now. If I was carrying that way 24/7 - my tune might change. I do see comments from folks who carry either professionally and / or privately about packing a 1911 truly full-time, so I’m confident it can be done - I just haven’t done it myself.

All of that said - when given a choice, I still prefer a full-size 1911, with the perhaps odd choice of a Glock 26 in second place. The G26 is such a pleasant surprise to me as a sidearm - but that’s probably another topic. :)

UBOATDOC and FWoo45 like this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted