Was 7 shots in the back justified?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Gimpster, Sep 1, 2020.

1. Gimpster

Gimpster Kevin G Supporting Addict

Apr 6, 2017
  2. wrmiller

wrmiller The Tinker

Oct 29, 2016
    Probably carrying a crappy 9mm. As a LEO friend has told me that once the decision is made to shoot, you 'shoot them to the ground'.

Disclaimer: this opinion is worth every penny you paid for it. ;)

Last edited: Sep 1, 2020

3. Wildcat Creeker

Wildcat Creeker Well-Known Member

Jan 26, 2012
    I was not there either, so any opinion I have would be worthless. However, I cannot help but believe, "play stupid games, win stupid prizes", may have applied in this situation.

4. GaryH

GaryH Active Member

Aug 26, 2020
    Seems like two would have been enough. Then step back and assess the situation. But, that's easy for me to say, I wasn't in any danger.

Gafanhao and Gimpster like this.
  5. 1911_Bandit

1911_Bandit Batteries_included

Mar 5, 2020
    He did not own the vehicle that he was attempting to get into the drivers seat. He had stolen the keys from his babies mama. She had told the police this when the 911 call was made. He had an open Karambit knife in his left hand. His children were in that vehicle. He had a restraining order to stay away from the mamma and the kids. Was he going to kidnap the children? Was he going to harm the kids with that knife? Was he going to use them as a shield? You have 0.5 seconds to figure it out once that door to the vehicle came open. My opinion is the cop saved the lives of those children.

6. freeride1

freeride1 Active Member

Dec 16, 2013
    Agree, plus he had already sexually assaulted the woman and the police had tasered him prior to shooting him. This guy had so many opportunities to give up, but he didn't. He was holding a knife in close proximity to the officer, he was a lethal threat to the officer and others around.

IMO the only problem with the officer's conduct is that in 7 rounds he didn't manage to hit the guy in the back of the head.

7. Dreadnought

Dreadnought Well-Known Member

May 5, 2020
    At what point did he stop holding/reaching for the knife?

3RidersApproaching and Gimpster like this.
  8. M Yaworski

M Yaworski Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2016
    He hit the police, told them that he had a weapon, said that the was going to get the weapon, and refused to stand down so it follows that the only reason that they shot him because he's black.

9. Slapshot

Slapshot Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2017
    I wasn't going to comment because there's about 100 threads all related to what's going on and we really don't need another one IMHO. But @GaryH this comment warrants a response. Any training I've ever taken has stressed " SHOOT UNTIL THE THREAT IS STOPPED". The training I've gone to goes to great lengths to emphasize this. They'll show videos and documentation of bad guys continuing to fight even with multiple GSW's

10. 7.62Kolectr

7.62Kolectr On guard

Jun 6, 2018

Shoot two, step back and allow him to maybe draw the weapon he was possibly reaching for and use it against you?
    Shoot them until they are down or comply, 1 time or 40.

OldCuz, Phil Sprague, Herb and 13 others like this.
  11. Wildcat Creeker

Wildcat Creeker Well-Known Member

Jan 26, 2012
    Several decades back there was a police action shooting reported where a perp took 33 rounds of 9mm before he went down. Too long ago to remember details,
    but I have not forgotten the limitations of the 9mm.

12. 1911_Bandit

1911_Bandit Batteries_included

Mar 5, 2020
    The knife was found on the drivers side floorboard. Screen grabs show it open, in his left hand, as he rounded the front of the SUV.

OneEyedTanker and Gimpster like this.
  13. gaijin

gaijin Well-Known Member

May 18, 2015
    You shoot to stop; aggression, assault, WTFE.
    If stopping requires 7 rds., so be it.
    As 7.62K indicted “1 or 40” until down or compliant.

If they die as a result; oh well, guess they shoulda followed instructions.

Phil Sprague, Herb, boatdoc and 11 others like this.
  14. Capthobo

Capthobo NRA Endowment member Supporting Addict

Nov 9, 2016
    Like it has been said here and all agree, we or I was not there and is difficult to be a Monday morning quarterback so to speak as to the justification of the shooting of 7 rds into Blake. Assuming the officer was armed with a higher capacity Glock he at least spared “some reserve”.
    My biggest question is, why couldn’t 3 trained police officers manage not to subdue Blake that did not have a gun and let him walk away to the vehicle?

15. Babboonbobo

Babboonbobo Avatar is back to my favorite things!

Nov 18, 2014
    Possibly high or ill trained officers!

Gimpster likes this.
  16. deadguy

deadguy Charlie Daniels Supporting Addict

Sep 7, 2011
    I believe this is a result of the George Floyd situation.

Cops are in no man's land right now. You have a crowd around in almost every situation, cameras running, and if you dare do anything considered excessive, you are crucified. This then leads to the Blake shooting situation.

7 shots. I imagine the officer was afraid he was about to die, and he wasn't counting shots as he fired them.

17. Les White

Les White Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2015
    Police officers In Nashville are trained Not to grab a man who has a knife. One swipe and the officer will bleed out. This guy was tasered twice, high on drugs, not following commands, and yes, shoot until the threat is down. An unfortunate situation but I don’t feel the police had any choice. My two cents worth.

18. El Perdido

El Perdido Fictional Western Sage

Oct 3, 2011

19. Badguybuster

Badguybuster Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2018
    As someone who has been stabbed in a LEO capacity.....i learned my lesson. You shoot til they are no longer a threat. PERIOD!!!

20. john_anch_ak

john_anch_ak Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Mar 7, 2017
    If people would stop resisting arrest and assaulting police then we would not be reading about this. This is a non issue and as trained, you shoot them until they stop moving.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted