1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oh well the Python is shipping today or tomorrow but got a email from Marc and this he just finished putting together. :) Shilen barrel blank he machines along with everything else to the action with different firing pin even! Desert Ironwood grips even!

Ok this is the first one of these in 7 shot now cannot wait for the Gemini Custom Redhawk! That on is still a ways off but I did not think this one was this close. May be shooting it this weekend if it gets here in time!

Shilen BBL Gemini Customs 357.jpg

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
If I had to choose between the 4" Python or that Ruger in your pic for a carry gun, I would choose the Ruger in a New York second. That looks like a real gem.
Well I love the Python as well. Have a 6in 2020 already. The 4.25 was going out today but that changed as of yesterday. :( The issues will all get sorted out soon and hopefully the Python will resume shipping before long.:(

·
just one more
656 Posts
Yeah I'm sort of excited about the python. But if I had to choose b/w any python and your Gemini Gun, I'd go with the gemini w/o a second thought.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Generally, how much velocity loss is there in a short barrel ported like that?
You know that is a good question. My issue is I do not shoot the longer barrels so I have never done a apples to apples comparison except one. My 44 mag go to load with 2400 and 24 grains using a 200gr XTP. I used my then hunting pistol 7.5 Redhawk and a 4in Anaconda non-ported. The velocity loss was right at 100fps BUT and this is a big one----did not rally measure the EXACT distance from the muzzle to the screen and the first pickup! Just a small difference couple of feet makes a considerable change that close to the muzzle. :)

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
How is the new python?
Sitting in the safe. I got this one early before regular shipments were made to the distributers for the Jan 1 release in early December. Mine still need the transfer bar changed for the hard primer issue discovered on the ammo from Mexico. Will send it in when all of the open issues on the Python are resolved. Right now no product is shipping until the cylinder pawl skipping issue is resolved.

·
Banned
288 Posts
You know that is a good question. My issue is I do not shoot the longer barrels so I have never done a apples to apples comparison except one. My 44 mag go to load with 2400 and 24 grains using a 200gr XTP. I used my then hunting pistol 7.5 Redhawk and a 4in Anaconda non-ported. The velocity loss was right at 100fps BUT and this is a big one----did not rally measure the EXACT distance from the muzzle to the screen and the first pickup! Just a small difference couple of feet makes a considerable change that close to the muzzle. :)
My general assumption for shorter unported barrels is loss of 100-200fps. There's a Paul Harrell video where he compares .380 ACP loads and barrels, and that's about what he comes out at. He also demonstrated that, at that loss, several popular defensive loads will not expand at all in his "meat target".

My question is about how much more velocity is lost when you port an already-short barrel. Going by eye with these photos, it looks like the ports (and 8 large ports, too) start at about 2" from the forcing cone. So, velocity-wise, are we closer to a 2" barrel or a 4"? Does Gemini or anyone else test loads for expansion, or is that left unspoken? Seems to me like it's important to know whether you'll get expansion or not.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
My general assumption for shorter unported barrels is loss of 100-200fps. There's a Paul Harrell video where he compares .380 ACP loads and barrels, and that's about what he comes out at. He also demonstrated that, at that loss, several popular defensive loads will not expand at all in his "meat target".

My question is about how much more velocity is lost when you port an already-short barrel. Going by eye with these photos, it looks like the ports (and 8 large ports, too) start at about 2" from the forcing cone. So, velocity-wise, are we closer to a 2" barrel or a 4"? Does Gemini or anyone else test loads for expansion, or is that left unspoken? Seems to me like it's important to know whether you'll get expansion or not.
You already know how a bullet will expand. All you need is the velocity at impact. Hornady and Sierra for example (my shooting partner in 1k BR worked there for over 30 years before he retired when the company sold) will have published or you can call them to inquire as to the velocity range the bullet was designed to perform in. Not had to find that part out. Some people are not always aware of these limitations and drive a bullet far past it's design limits and are disappointer. Granted testing in a controlled medium does not translate to performance on a live target.

This will answer your question with testing data of this porting system.

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/blog/gun-porting-defensive-handgun-port/

·
Banned
288 Posts
You already know how a bullet will expand. All you need is the velocity at impact. Hornady and Sierra for example (my shooting partner in 1k BR worked there for over 30 years before he retired when the company sold) will have published or you can call them to inquire as to the velocity range the bullet was designed to perform in. Not had to find that part out. Some people are not always aware of these limitations and drive a bullet far past it's design limits and are disappointer. Granted testing in a controlled medium does not translate to performance on a live target.

This will answer your question with testing date of this porting system.

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/blog/gun-porting-defensive-handgun-port/
Thanks. So another 100fps loss, +/-. That sounds about right.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts