Watch out for Paypal and eBay

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GA 1911, Nov 30, 2018.

1. GA 1911

GA 1911 Colt 1911 Government Supporting Addict

Feb 6, 2016
    I was a member for 16 years yet somehow got taken for $50 from them.

I closed both accounts not because of the $50, but it was because you can't really dispute a transaction in a normal legal way like as with a credit card.

I had a dispute with a credit card transaction when the Bank explained that it may take 60 days and emailed me every ~2 weeks or so to keep me updated. The Bank finally credited me the money ($48). [/Rant]

wcanterbury likes this.
  2. azguy1911

azguy1911 I'm done buying guns, I'm just a bystander now

Oct 22, 2015
    what does "somehow got taken" mean ??

Babboonbobo likes this.

3. Red-5

Red-5 Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2015
    Yes, it would be nice to know the full story.

4. Patton2018

Patton2018 Member

Nov 8, 2018
    Very confusing, please supply the details.

5. GA 1911

Feb 6, 2016
    I wish that I knew what happened. I had a few transactions that occurred over 16 years in which all worked well. I looked at my statement this month and $50 disappeared with some code.

I went to chat and got computer generated answers. I worked both sites. eBay bought PayPal so I am asking the same company with each one asking the same questions. No one can answer where the $50 went.

I said I had a credit card dispute. I saw the transaction and clicked "dispute transaction". I then explained it with supporting data. They said that they would check it. A couple of weeks later they said they were working on it. Then they emailed me that my dispute was final.

It is not the $50 but the lack of customer support for a guy that has been a customer for 16 years.

wcanterbury and FWoo45 like this.
  6. Babboonbobo

Babboonbobo Avatar is back to my favorite things!

Nov 18, 2014
    I’ve been a member of both for at least that long, eleven years on Ebay with current user name. Done hundreds of transactions with both and have only had one problem in all that time. It did take a little while (about 30 days) but eBay resolved a problem with a person not shipping my item I purchased.

My biggest complaint with these companies is the amounts they charge but it’s my choice to use them or not! Just wish it wasn’t so costly sometimes especially on low priced items. I just sold a couple graded Sacajawea dollars, lower grade than I collect but they only brought .99 at auction end plus $3 shipping! After I paid for the shipping, PayPal fees and eBay seller fees, I should have just broke the damn things out and spent thrm! I think I ended up with $.87 after all said and done on two different ones.

7. azguy1911

azguy1911 I'm done buying guns, I'm just a bystander now

Oct 22, 2015
    It makes no sense....and BTW eBay use to own Paypal and spun it off into it's own publicly traded company PYPL a few years back. They have nothing to do with each other for years now.

If you call PP they will tell you where the charge originated or logon & see your transaction history. There is no annual fees for PP so somehow a charge or payment request was generated and honored.

I love PayPal, I've used it 1,000 of times without a single issue. Good luck ;)

8. Raylan Givens

Raylan Givens Never Forget

Aug 18, 2015
    F PayPal. That's why I refuse to use them now. They cost me almost $400 after my account was hacked.

Kip likes this.
  9. Wheels No More

Wheels No More Long gone

May 12, 2015
    You are the second person I've heard this from recently.

10. FWoo45

FWoo45 Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2017
    Never been a seller using either but have bought plenty using both. My issue with PayPal is they are actively anti 2A. So I use it to pay both my NRA and GOA memberships. :)

Old Sea Dragon and WHEELS like this.
  11. GA 1911

Feb 6, 2016
    I did sell some Morgan Silver Dollars on eBay. It was expensive.

I switched over to my GA gun forum (ODT) and sold them for no commission on sales or payments. This is my place now.

I believe someone hacked my account and eBay will not say so. It seems to happen again and again. I searched and saw the eBay hack warning.

Did I get this before? No... Should have eBay warned me? Yes.

I am done with them now.

BTW, I did upgrade here to Addict, but it was because everyone here is very knowledgeable and honest.

Babboonbobo and wcanterbury like this.
  12. Integrity Arms

Integrity Arms 1911 Pistol Smith

Mar 20, 2017
    I have only had one card attached to my PP account since I opened it, that very card has been compromised 3 times in less than a year. I sent the wrong email address on PP and took me nearly 90 days to get refund.. You have no problem if you have no problem. But, the minute you do, PP will tell you deal with the bank or CC company and they will tell you it is PP responsibility. When I purchased my mill my CC was supposed to be my default payment, some how my bank got switched to my primary account and as soon as I caught it I called to change the form of payment. PP said call my bank.

Called them next morning, told them there were insufficient funds for the transaction they said they would just deny, no worries no charges.. PP said once denied it would kick over to my CC. so bank sent through, insufficient fund. $38 charge, over draw account $7.50 charge. PP waited 3 days resubmitted to the bank after my SSD hit the bank. funds were withdrawn and drained my bank account. they never attempted to charge my CC like they said. At that point I was just stuck.. I haven't stopped using them yet, but I will tell you this, when you do have a problem or make a mistake, your pretty much on your own. According to PP they can do nothing. know nothing and keep passing the buck.. Only way you get anywhere is to call and pester the **** out of them and consistently ask for management team..

Kip, Babboonbobo and FWoo45 like this.
  13. GA 1911

Feb 6, 2016
    I agree above /\ /\.

My bank has never given me a problem on checking or credit cards.

I wouldn't trust PayPal or eBay in further that I can I throw them into the town dump.

Patton2018 and Kip like this.
  14. gaijin

gaijin Well-Known Member

May 18, 2015
    I fail to see how a "gun guy"/"person" would EVER use Paypal.
    They are rabidly anti 2A as is Ebay.

I will not use Paypal.

limbkiller, Patton2018 and Kip like this.
  15. Kip

Kip Sir Kip Esquire

Apr 12, 2016
    Had the same as Raylan.
    Got hacked supposedly,they didn't seem to care. Wound up closing the checking account.
    Still get "pending sale" alerts from them...
    One was for some lamp for 750.00$!!
    Gather all my lamps in a pile you might get 50 bucks!!:roflmaro::roflmaro:
    F PayPal.

WHEELS and DukeSoprano like this.
  16. TwicePipe

TwicePipe Member

Jul 2, 2015
    Ebay and Paypal totalitarian organizations. I avoid ebay almost completely and Paypal as much as I can.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted