1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted a question about semi's being overpriced and got a lot of different perspectives and I hope this post will draw the same. Here is my dilemma. I can go on Ed Brown or GI and build a gun the exact way I want one, with about $35-3600. What is the differice between these semis and the full custom? Most of the posts I've seen about the difference has been, well you can make it like you want it. But if I can make it like I want it with a semi custom what's the difference? Thank you for your responses.

·
Administrator
8,294 Posts
You Also have a larger choice of options that the Custom Smith is willing to do in most cases. They each have their own style as well. Semi Custom shops put out the same options same way doesnt really matter who the smith doing the work may be. You also have more options for finishes and generally a Full custom smith will put a lot more effort into the details then a Semi Custom shop will has his name and reputation is on every piece he puts out.. If a gun goes out and has issues and the Customer complains on a forum such as this it will effect a Gunsmith more then say Wilson Combat where they put out thousands of guns a year.

·
CEO of DILLIGAF industries
8,484 Posts
I posted a question about semi's being overpriced and got a lot of different perspectives and I hope this post will draw the same. Here is my dilemma. I can go on Ed Brown or GI and build a gun the exact way I want one, with about $35-3600. What is the differice between these semis and the full custom? Most of the posts I've seen about the difference has been, well you can make it like you want it. But if I can make it like I want it with a semi custom what's the difference? Thank you for your responses.
You answered your own question . If Ed Brown will build it the way you would order it from a custom builder , in that instance , there is no difference .

·
Registered
515 Posts
With a custom gun you get to optimise the parts you put into it from different vendors, whether it be personal preference or the gunsmiths opinion on what works best. With a semi-custom you get their parts, which is fine, but not necessarily optimal.

Additionally, sending in an existing gun, other than their own, to any of the semi-custom shops varies. Brown and Wilson will only install their parts, with Brown also limiting the amount of modification that they will perform. Wilson will offer a wider variety of services. Both Nighthawk and Guncrafter offer full customization, using other vendors parts, on guns that are from other manufacturers.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Depending on who you would use for a gunsmith the differences are HUGE...
I've handled all the major semi-customs over the years and they are a great improvement over most all factory guns. However each of these has left me wanting more, in terms of fit, finish, reliability and accuracy. A talented and knowledgeable gunsmith will greatly improve the fit of all parts on the entire build, because that's what you're paying for. Unfortunately there's only a handful of these men in the country, you have to choose wisely.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts