WC X9L - best competitors

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by GA/\/\/\/\A, Sep 17, 2020.

1. GA/\/\/\/\A

GA/\/\/\/\A New Member

Sep 13, 2020
    Hi, I’m new to the forums and have only been shooting for 5 years, but want to get a nice 9mm 1911 style pistol like a Wilson Combat X9L with a trijicon SRO mounted.

What else should I look at? Stacatto DUOs caught my eye, but not sure I like the lowers.

Also, I like the external extractor design of the X9 series. I’m under the impression that it will make a more reliable defensive handgun. Would you agree/disagree?

if it matters, I’m coming from an HK USP Expert 45, and looking to use the new pistol as range and home defense gun.

thanks

2. Greg M.

Greg M. Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Mar 6, 2020
    Welcome to the Greatest Forum on the internet. If they don’t know the answer they will find it. Alabama here and glad ya found us. 5C188E28-327E-4C3F-A3F3-103D64BFA624.jpeg

simonp, isialk, monadh and 3 others like this.

3. chuck.panoff

chuck.panoff Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Feb 8, 2017
    WELCOME from Indian Land, SC.

4. 1911 crazed

1911 crazed Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2019
  5. NIU2009

NIU2009 Active Member

Nov 6, 2018
    I'd look closer at the Staccato C2 Duo. Any problems I've read about with the Wilson seem to be extractor related and I would say than an external extractor on a 1911 platform is kind of pointless. I certainly don't think it makes them any more reliable.

It took me a while to warm up to the grip on my Staccato P, but if you really hate it, there are options out there that aren't difficult for swapping or customizing, since you can just swap frames.

isialk and GA/\/\/\/\A like this.
  6. GA/\/\/\/\A

GA/\/\/\/\A New Member

Sep 13, 2020
    thanks for the suggestion. What would you say are the pros/cons do the Stacatto C2 Duo vs The WC x9?

isialk likes this.
  7. NIU2009

NIU2009 Active Member

Nov 6, 2018
    I don't own a Wilson or the C2 (just have the 4.4 " P, but a C2 will be my next purchse). I really don't know what the pros would be of the Wilson over the Staccato, unless you've held one and preferred the fit/feel of it. You can mod the grip of the C2 if you don't care for it. The Wilson weighs a few ounces more and the flush mags hold 1 less round. It's (Wilson) definitely the better looking of the two to me, but beyond that, I don't know. You stated you'd like to put an optic on it and the C2 Duo is the only one of the two that's optic-ready.

I wish I'd gotten the C2 before the P.

isialk likes this.
  8. Dwe

Dwe I'm a terminal 1911 Addict!

Sep 4, 2011
    Welcome to the board.
    Currently I own a early Stacatto P DUO, and an
    EDX X9. Both guns shoot and handle very well.
    As for carry only, I prefer the X9, however it does not
    have an optic cut. The Stacatto P Duo would be my choice for carry/range. That being said it would be a tougher choice if the X9 had an optic.

There are other DS options from both Nighthawk and
    Guncrafter. Both full size as well as Commanders.
    These are more refined and more expensive, however
    I prefer them both over anything offered by Wilson or
    STI.
    7BFE066D-9F11-467E-9666-30C9E0229199.jpeg 09D42E4E-D873-4E0F-8EC0-515F96EC2704.jpeg 2EF7AD75-9304-4F50-9E90-E508184EC281.jpeg 5898C58D-D566-4BAC-A30B-2D9E15E43751.jpeg

Attached Files:

random84, Mike Meints, isialk and 4 others like this.
  9. monadh

monadh Sapientiae Timor Domini Initium

May 8, 2012
    NC here, and welcome.

This is the greatest forum on the internet, so much so that my property values have gone up since I joined. Coincidence? I think not.

I have learned a lot here, even though my experience with 1911s goes back 54 years.

And to echo Dwe, Guncrafter makes a superior 2011, far better than my STIs. If you can swing one of those, you'll never be disappointed.

@Dwe - That one with the optic is just too beautiful.

10. BCD 45

BCD 45 Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2019
    Welcome brother. Glad you made it here & you'll be glad also! Great guys & gals right here!!!

TEXAS II (1).jpg TEXAS PROUD (3).jpg TEXAS PROUD (9).jpg

11. BCD 45

BCD 45 Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2019
    BTW, I just acquired a WC X9L but haven't shot it yet. I love everything about it and the feel is awesome!

But I do also have 9 HK's. Don't for a minute think they aren't fine weapons!!! If I had to go back in serious combat, HK USP would be my handgun of choice even though I dearly love my 1911's. One HK USP .40SW/.357SIG that I have has got over 8500 rounds through it with NEVER a malfunction of any kind, even when filthy.

Jim D.

12. GA/\/\/\/\A

GA/\/\/\/\A New Member

Sep 13, 2020
    thanks, i have heard great things about Guncrafter. In terms of them being better than Wilson or STI, my biggest concern is reliability and durability. For example, I would not want to send it in for extractor adjustments, etc.

is the WC X9’s external extractor a good design? I am seeking reliability and durability like my HK USP expert...which hasn’t had a malfunction yet, after 4,000+ rounds. I just want something metal, more refined, etc.

isialk likes this.
  13. Dwe

Dwe I'm a terminal 1911 Addict!

Sep 4, 2011
    I have never experienced any issues with my EDC X9 however I have heard that there may have been some early problems with the X9 extractor.
    I prefer the 1911 internal extractor, in a 1911,
    however poorly installed and poorly tuned extractors are
    the reason behind mainly of 1911’s failures.
    That being said these problems are easily remedied
    if you take the time to learn.

I have other guns with external extractors.
    H&K,S&W, Glock, Sig, CZ.... all these have proven
    very reliable with external extractors.
    So keep your H&K, but be careful when
    play with fire... ie the 1911/2011, you may get sucked
    into something you are not prepared for..
    Nothing. I mean Nothing is better looking,
    handles better, shoots better, has a better trigger
    or has a deeper Rabbit hole to dive into than
    the 1911/2011 platform.
    But don’t believe me....
    ask all these other addicts on this board.

Keep in mind the 1911 has been around for almost
    110 years for a reason.

gps man, isialk, Babboonbobo and 2 others like this.
  14. Zero1911

Zero1911 Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2019
    I had an X9L for a bit. I shot it better than any pistol. I didn’t feel comfortable carrying it cocked and locked because the X9L doesn’t have a grip safety.
    The Dan Wesson Guardian seems practical.

GA/\/\/\/\A and isialk like this.
  15. isialk

isialk Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Jan 7, 2017
    Welcome to the forum again from Illinois! We’re glad to have you here with us. IMG_3423.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. Mike Meints

Mike Meints Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2017
    I have an X-9 and have had zero problems with over 2000 rounds . Can't speak of the other options suggested .
    Welcome from Michigan ![​IMG]

gps man, GA/\/\/\/\A and 1911 crazed like this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted