Weakness, desire, guilty pleasures, and the want of cool custom stuff!!! My new/old rat Harley.....

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by WC145, Jul 30, 2020.

1. WC145

WC145 Every day is Saturday and every night's a party!

Jan 1, 2013
    I'm a gun/knife/car/truck/bike/anything cool, custom, hand built kind of guy. I do a pretty good job of controlling it because if I let it get out of hand it would ruin everything else. However, thankfully, we do okay and I get to pick up a little of this and a little of that here and there from time to time and manage to keep the side of me that wants, wants, and wants some more, at bay.

The biggest problem I have is that something will catch my eye and the want takes over and I roll it around and work it in my head over and over until I have to make it happen. That's how I came to buy this bike. I've been watching the seller's ads for months and months. This thing has been for sale for over a year and it's just too off the wall, too out there, too cool, just too.... much, and no one has bit on it. It's been eating at me, and calling to me, and finally I couldn't take it anymore and gave in and contacted the guy and went to see it.

It's a rat, a '66 XL900 Sporty on a custom hardtail frame, '45 springer front end, pieces from this year and that, all rolled into a loud, obnoxious, smelly, leaky, bad ass bobber that screamed to me to take it home when I saw it in person. It was built by some shop in TX for a biker build off show/competition so it's cool and impractical, but functional, though not appropriate for use around respectable company.:rolleyes: Thankfully the seller is a gun guy as well as a car/truck/bike guy and we were able to make a favorable cash/trade deal and now it's mine.

This thing is sooo cool, I'm happy to just pour some good stuff on the rocks and look at it, walk around it, sit on it, fire it up, and scare the animals.:jawdrop: Who knows, I may never actually go anywhere on it, might just strap it into the back of the '52 and haul it around with me leaving a trail of cool in my 45mph wake.:grin:
    Some days it's good to be able to feed the want.....:cheers:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Series70, AJP, Fatbob Frank and 42 others like this.
  2. FWoo45

FWoo45 Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2017
    That's super cool as long as you didn't give up the crowbar as part of the trade. Have to carry that gun while riding that.

gaijin, KS95B40, livinthelife and 3 others like this.

3. Scaramouche

Scaramouche Student of the Columbian Exchange Supporting Addict

Sep 15, 2015
    Want? Anybody with a pumping heart and a broad smile on their forearm NEEDS one of those, and that one more than any other. Great find, congrats!

colrhino, gps man, KS95B40 and 6 others like this.
  4. WC145

Jan 1, 2013
    I was thinking the King's '48 Colt, but you may be right, the Crowbar and the bike have a similar vibe.

5. WC145

Jan 1, 2013
    Thanks, 'Mouche! Yeah, this feeds right into that same impractical, I don't care if you don't get it, vein as the truck, the Tbird, my guns, and most of my other most prized possessions.:D Of course, I knew you guys would appreciate it, birds of a feather and all that.;)

Last edited: Jul 30, 2020
  6. Scaramouche

Scaramouche Student of the Columbian Exchange Supporting Addict

Sep 15, 2015
    I'm loving the fuel gauge, what's not to like, it's noisy, nasty, stinky, and puts bugs in your teeth. Fire that bad boy up, please post engine noises. Who needs a front brake? We aint planning stopping!

colrhino, gps man, KS95B40 and 5 others like this.
  7. bnaples

bnaples Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2013
    Very nice. I have a chopped rigid 1200 sportster with a 250 rear tire. Fun times.

colrhino, KS95B40, FWoo45 and 2 others like this.
  8. rmac

rmac Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Jan 26, 2016
    Loads of old COOL you have.
    Love the Jockey Shifter. Switch that baby to a foot clutch and leave as is.
    Rat Bobbers rule.
    Congratulations on a neat ride.

colrhino, gps man, KS95B40 and 4 others like this.
  9. WC145

Jan 1, 2013
    Good eye, Mouche, you've got that thing's number. Makes me wonder about your "lost years", you know, the ones you never tell us about.:D

10. gunfighter45

gunfighter45 Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2012
    Very cool! I’m a ‘66 as well. If you ever get tired of it...

colrhino and WC145 like this.
  11. rjinaz85308

rjinaz85308 North Central AZ Grasslands Supporting Addict

Jul 27, 2012
    Badass!! Kicker only?

WC145 likes this.
  12. pistolwretch

pistolwretch Dremel jockey Supporting Addict

Aug 26, 2011
    No front fender........ok until it rains......
    but a great lookin' old scoot!

gps man and WC145 like this.
  13. Mike0707

Mike0707 JMB fan

Apr 11, 2019
    Never had a bike / don't ride, but there is so something so cool about old bikes / rat bikes. It resonates even though I'd have no idea how to drive it!! And the weirdness definitely adds to the coolness!! Have fun, @WC145

WC145 likes this.
  14. WC145

Jan 1, 2013
    Of course! If you can't kick it over you're not going anywhere.:D

FWoo45 and Lou1 like this.
  15. rjinaz85308

rjinaz85308 North Central AZ Grasslands Supporting Addict

Jul 27, 2012
    You know how to identify an old Harley rider? He walks with a limp cause his knee is shot from kickin'

colrhino, Doc45, Mike Meints and 2 others like this.
  16. Lou1

Lou1 Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Sep 1, 2018
    It ain’t a suicide shifter if you have a foot clutch! Oh, maybe that’s your point.

WC145 likes this.
  17. kevinlittell

kevinlittell Well-Known Member

Apr 4, 2020
    That big Mo fo chain....Swinging in the breeze...

Id have to empty some beer cans and fab a guard somehow...(That's an opinion and we all know about opinions right???)

But that doesn't subtract from the Bad ass factor. Nice ride.

Hey, strap a WW2 scabbard on that back end and fill it with a Garand. Keep the legs intact and have some old fashioned whoop ass at your fingertips all in one swoop!

18. Crewchief

Crewchief Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Sep 7, 2017
    Ho
    Lee
    Cow.

The way the pegs really look like the pedals that came off my first bicycle back in '74 or '75. The utter lack of anything that is not actively engaged in making the scoot scoot. It's officially an active danger to health and sanity.

And I'd love to take it for a run.

CC

FWoo45, livinthelife and WC145 like this.
  19. Crewchief

Crewchief Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Sep 7, 2017
    P.S.: I LOVE that leather saddle.

WC145 likes this.
  20. Lou1

Lou1 Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Sep 1, 2018
    I just keep coming back and looking at these pics. That is truly a thing of beauty.

livinthelife, Scaramouche and WC145 like this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted