Wear your dam hats!

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by JM44, Jul 15, 2020.

1. JM44

JM44 Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Feb 2, 2018
    I don’t get around to shooting much because of my profession and lifestyle. Well I just started a new role that is five minutes away from a small indoor range. Took my new GI there yesterday for a quick trip and forgot my hat that I always wear. Wouldn’t you know one of those hot 45 cases landed between my glasses and my face! Got a nice welt right above the eye now. After that happened i also took one directly in the forehead...when I went today to try out my new NH Costa and Vickers SA, I was sure to wear my dam hat!

2. FatMikey

FatMikey Member

Apr 29, 2020
    Great reminder, always wear mine even when shooting revolvers. Also think hard about wearing a hoodie - saw a YouTube video of a guy get brass in his hood at indoor range, jerked and fired a shot into the floor behind him, almost hitting a guy sweeping brass from the floor.

3. unclebuck5

unclebuck5 Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2018
    If you shoot without a hat it seems that at least one case will find it's way to bare skin.

JM44 likes this.
  4. JM44

Feb 2, 2018
    Yup. I will add this was one of the first times I went during work so I was in my dress clothes and not my usual range routine. Definitely learned my lesson

5. fieldgrade

fieldgrade resident crank

Mar 13, 2017
    I always wear one, and have had this happen, but you got a reminder today. You’ve got an ejection issue. Shoudn’t be hitting you in the face.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2020
  6. Capthobo

Capthobo NRA Endowment member Supporting Addict

Nov 9, 2016
    That’s funny.
    My daughter caught one down the V front of her T-shirt that came out of my 9x23 Winchester 1911. She was observing from behind me.
    Landed right in the cleavage of her Victoria Secret. She only wears full collar shirts to the range now.

7. Al414

Al414 Active Member

Oct 6, 2019
    It’s a part of the training. Take hot brass down the back of your shirt or down the top of your glasses and don’t flinch or come off target lol.

Whiten, FWoo45, rmac and 4 others like this.
  8. WhoIsJohnGalt?

WhoIsJohnGalt? We Are! Supporting Addict

Feb 20, 2018
    I’ve also made the mistake of wearing boat shoes / Top-Siders with no socks and catching a piece of hot brass betwixt foot-flesh and shoe-leather. Yikes. I managed to avoid engaging in an abrupt dance-routine.

isialk and JM44 like this.
  9. Dub

Dub born in the wrong century

Mar 19, 2017
    It’s too hot here to wear a hat.

Brass to the face directly from that GI didn’t need to happen but once, lol.

FWoo45 and JM44 like this.
  10. DRD

DRD Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Mar 8, 2018
    No it's not! ;) I shoot outdoors and my bald spot would fry in less than 5 minutes.

If you have a full head of hair, ignore my remark, you lucky ...

isialk, monadh, TheCollector and 2 others like this.
  11. Badabing11

Badabing11 I gotta have more cowbell

Sep 6, 2015
    Right. I've had several, especially commanders that have done the casing to the face. It shouldn't do it, but the fix isn't intuitive. A lot of guys "think" they know how to fix it, but when it happens only 1 in a 100, It gets very expensive to troubleshoot and fix. Don't Ask me how I know.

switchback and FWoo45 like this.
  12. Uncle Bob

Uncle Bob Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2017
    Did that to a friends wife many years ago (unintentionally).

Capthobo and JM44 like this.
  13. JM44

Feb 2, 2018
    I do sometimes wear those to work! Now Ill have to coordinate my shoes and hats on days I’m going to the range like a woman!

WhoIsJohnGalt? and Uncle Bob like this.
  14. FWoo45

FWoo45 Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2017
    IMO the real question is why is you new GI sending brass back at your face? Weird ammo or something? I'd like to see a pic of your new GI toy too btw, also the NHC and especially the Vickers. New gun pics are the best. Good luck and wear your hat.

isialk, switchback and JM44 like this.
  15. pwgunny

pwgunny Active Member

Feb 26, 2020
    I always wear a hat when shooting. Yesterday I was going to the range and the only hat in the car was too tight on my bald head. I debated about wearing it, but tossed it back in the car, when I was getting my range bag out. It turns out that a lot of people were looking to use the range and PSA had a line forming. I said screw this and put the bag back in the car and left without shooting. Now I read your post about the hot casing and I will learn from your mistake. I don't need hot brass dinging up my bald head.

JM44 likes this.
  16. dstallguy

dstallguy Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Sep 13, 2017
    I took a German female coworker shooting for her first time. Started off with P226 9mm but with the 22 conversion kit installed...it only cycled with hyper velocity 22 rounds. She, wearing a low cut V-neck, took a hot 22 to the upper breast and it stuck to her skin. She quickly brushed it off but Today she has a small red line scar that’s visible. She calls it her “lesson learned” and that day she kept right in shooting 22 then 9mm then 45acp and an AR-15. A real trooper and she was a good shot as well.

colrhino, isialk, switchback and 3 others like this.
  17. JM44

Feb 2, 2018
    yea I was in a rush that day so I have to take it to the range again when I have more time and analyze it with some diff ammo. Here is the GI in some walrus and the newly acquired NH Costa. I will get some pics and a review of the Vickers up hopefully in the near future:
    BCA49A93-A491-49D9-825F-04BB4F750DFF.jpeg 588A4066-8120-41EF-93C5-5B33B3FE10FB.jpeg

colrhino, isialk, Badabing11 and 3 others like this.
  18. JM44

Feb 2, 2018
    The Costa Recon was used and a good price at a LGS. I almost passed on it because it has a rail and I’m not a huge fan of railed models and already have a TRP operator for HD. I am sure glad I made the decision to pick this one up! It is a tack driver and fun to shoot

Badabing11 likes this.
  19. TheCollector

TheCollector Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2018
    That's the one issue I have when wearing my Victoria Secret range hat. It sometimes finds the cleavage area of my forehead. :roflmaro::roflmaro::roflmaro:

dude-with-bra-on-head.jpg

Last edited: Jul 16, 2020
  20. monster

monster Member

May 10, 2020

This isn't the pic we are looking for...

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted