close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Weekly Debate: Clean vs Dirty

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by knedrgr, Sep 18, 2011.

1. knedrgr

knedrgr Low capacity, low tech...

Aug 15, 2011
    This goes for both your range gun and EDC. So what's your standard practice? Do you clean your guns after ever range trip? Or do you just leave it as is and clean it after several range outings? And what's your reasoning behind the practice?

Dub likes this.
  2. thecableguy

thecableguy I hate this addiction Supporting Addict

Aug 16, 2011
    I clean them after like 2 or 3 range trips. I just like to make sure they work no matter how dirty they get. God forbid you ever have to use it to defend yourself and its raining or something like that and the thing ends up getting dirty and jamming. Just piece of mind for me.

3. polizei1

polizei1 It WAS Quack

Aug 18, 2011
    Depends on my mood...my GSG and Marlin .22 haven't been cleaned in a little while, but they don't have many rounds through it. I clean my EMP (carry gun) every time I shoot it, except when I did the "dirty test" for 1,100 rounds.

ShempHoward and Rick Clowers like this.
  4. John Ryder

John Ryder Active Member

Aug 19, 2011
    I'm lazy most of the times, I don't bother cleaning unless it's been 500 or more rounds. I have two reasons besides being lazy though.

1. I like to know my pistol actual will run in an adverse state. I feel a pistol that cannot run reliably for a MININUM of 1000 rounds without maintenance is a sub-par pistol. There are too many pistols that can do this, but until you try, you don't know if you might have a "lemon" or not. Better safe than sorry.

2. I have multiple pistols of the same platform (Glock, M&P, 1911, whatever) and would use one for range use and the other for CCW. Being they would have the same operations and feel, I could carry the clean one while using the other. Once I got to a certain point, usually 1000-1500 rounds, I'd switch them around and repeat the process.

simonp likes this.
  5. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Schütze

Aug 17, 2011
    These days I clean range and carry pistols at about the same range trip frequency and that's about 3-4 trips. I'm speaking of range trip frequency here, not round count. For me, a range trip for a range pistol is ~100 rounds and for a carry pistol ~14 rounds. Ron

6. Quack

Quack it's mmm, mmm good... Staff Member Admin

Aug 15, 2011
    i don't clean mine that often. i just usually wipe the exterior down and make sure it's lubed.

PaperTiger, Tex1911 and Pistol Pete like this.
  7. Quack

Quack it's mmm, mmm good... Staff Member Admin

Aug 15, 2011
    take a class in the cold rain and see how it runs. the only issues that i had was using Slide-Glide Lite. wiped it off and used oil and it ran fine for the rest of the day. so i learned that in the winter, to use oil and during the warmer months that SG-Lite is fine.

Dub, aldodds3 and valvestem like this.
  8. duketbrd88

duketbrd88 Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Sep 1, 2011
    I go about every two trips to the range. A trip consists of about 150 rds then come home run a bore snake and wipe her down then do all over again. So, about every 300 rds of lead & then I just feel like it should be done. I used to be anal about it after every range trip, but not any more. The mind does feel better when it is clean.

9. thecableguy

Aug 16, 2011
    I would love to do that one of these days.

10. knedrgr

knedrgr Low capacity, low tech...

Aug 15, 2011
    I would clean both of my EDC and range guns after a few range trips. I don't see a problem with having a slightly dirty gun for EDC. Mater of fact, my EDC is holstered 24/7, or until I take it out to blow off the lints or some basic cleanning.

11. Carolinaboy

Carolinaboy Aim Small Miss Small Supporting Addict

Sep 17, 2011
    I'm in the minority I guess. I clean it almost every time after a range visit. I also enjoy cleaning my guns, it's relaxing.....dunno could just be me

12. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Schütze

Aug 17, 2011
    nah... I like to take them apart and play with them too. I suppose that most 1911 people enjoy it as well. It's therapy.. Matter of fact.. I've been thinking about buying a pistol just for that purpose.. I figure it'll save wear and tear on my good pistols.. I know it'll help preserve the finish! 8)Ron

Tex1911 and pitts duncan like this.
  13. ravenkeeper98

ravenkeeper98 Member

Aug 24, 2011
    I am OCD with my pistols. I clean after everytime they are fired. I get out the Q-Tips, rags, toothbrush, and patches every cleaning.

14. Carolinaboy

Sep 17, 2011
    Ok good I'm not the only one. I turn on some old country music and relax and get to cleaning

Dub, TejasPOWER, Tex1911 and 2 others like this.
  15. thecableguy

Aug 16, 2011
    do you break out the candles and lotion too? :rofl2:

Just giving you a hard time man. I find it relaxing also.

16. Carolinaboy

Sep 17, 2011
    How'd you know??? :biggrin1:

17. ravenkeeper98

ravenkeeper98 Member

Aug 24, 2011
    With a splash of the ol' Hoppes #9 behind the ears:lol:

Catbacker65 and Tex1911 like this.
  18. thecableguy

Aug 16, 2011
    :pound: :pound:

19. Carolinaboy

Sep 17, 2011
  20. Bender

Bender Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 15, 2011
    I clean after every range trip.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted