1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 20 of 688 Posts

·
It WAS Quack
1,586 Posts
Depends on my mood...my GSG and Marlin .22 haven't been cleaned in a little while, but they don't have many rounds through it. I clean my EMP (carry gun) every time I shoot it, except when I did the "dirty test" for 1,100 rounds.

·
Registered
892 Posts
I'm lazy most of the times, I don't bother cleaning unless it's been 500 or more rounds. I have two reasons besides being lazy though.

1. I like to know my pistol actual will run in an adverse state. I feel a pistol that cannot run reliably for a MININUM of 1000 rounds without maintenance is a sub-par pistol. There are too many pistols that can do this, but until you try, you don't know if you might have a "lemon" or not. Better safe than sorry.

2. I have multiple pistols of the same platform (Glock, M&P, 1911, whatever) and would use one for range use and the other for CCW. Being they would have the same operations and feel, I could carry the clean one while using the other. Once I got to a certain point, usually 1000-1500 rounds, I'd switch them around and repeat the process.

·
it's mmm, mmm good...
7,255 Posts
I clean them after like 2 or 3 range trips. I just like to make sure they work no matter how dirty they get. God forbid you ever have to use it to defend yourself and its raining or something like that and the thing ends up getting dirty and jamming. Just piece of mind for me.
take a class in the cold rain and see how it runs. the only issues that i had was using Slide-Glide Lite. wiped it off and used oil and it ran fine for the rest of the day. so i learned that in the winter, to use oil and during the warmer months that SG-Lite is fine.

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
I go about every two trips to the range. A trip consists of about 150 rds then come home run a bore snake and wipe her down then do all over again. So, about every 300 rds of lead & then I just feel like it should be done. I used to be anal about it after every range trip, but not any more. The mind does feel better when it is clean.

·
Premium Member
4,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I would clean both of my EDC and range guns after a few range trips. I don't see a problem with having a slightly dirty gun for EDC. Mater of fact, my EDC is holstered 24/7, or until I take it out to blow off the lints or some basic cleanning.

·
Schütze
2,726 Posts
I'm in the minority I guess. I clean it almost every time after a range visit. I also enjoy cleaning my guns, it's relaxing.....dunno could just be me
nah... I like to take them apart and play with them too. I suppose that most 1911 people enjoy it as well. It's therapy.. Matter of fact.. I've been thinking about buying a pistol just for that purpose.. I figure it'll save wear and tear on my good pistols.. I know it'll help preserve the finish! 8)Ron

1 - 20 of 688 Posts