1911 Firearm Addicts banner
661 - 680 of 688 Posts

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
I just have a gun cleaning day every once in a while. Reasoning is.. I live in the boonies, and shoot something every day off my back porch. So if i cleaned a gun every time i shot it..thats all i would be doing full time. There are a few exceptions..my favorite special babies...:) They get loved on right away..

·
Registered
24 Posts
For me, personally, it just depends on the gun. If I’m shooting one of my bench guns, then it gets throughly cleaned whenever it come home from the range. If it’s a rifle, shotgun, or pistol that I use when I’m out hunting or just tromping around the woods in general it gets cleaned when it gets physically dirty or it has been shot and left to gather mud and water and all kinds of nasty stuff. I’ll use my A5 as an example. When I bought it I shot roughly 2000 rounds of various kinds and brands of shells to make sure it would function good eating anything I gave it before I decided to actually take a bird with it. It received a few wipe downs, but nothing over the top. It wasn’t until we were late season goose hunting and the temps were extremely low that it failed to function properly. The gun still fired, but the bolt catch was so gummed up that it wouldn’t lock the bolt back. After warming up in the house it functioned flawlessly again, so I figured it should be given the royal treatment when it came to getting it cleaned.

When it comes to AR’s or carry guns, I have a different approach. I’m a firm believer in the motto, “If it won’t run trash, it doesn’t deserve brass”. So I’ll force my guns (predominately my rifles) to handle the worst of the worst ammo and see if they persevere. For my carry guns I generally run at least 500 rounds through them without cleaning them before I give them a good bath. I personally like to carry a “dirty” gun, I’ll shoot one full mag, wipe it off, hit it with a splash of lube, and then stick it in my holster.

·
Registered
167 Posts
There are a few exceptions..my favorite special babies...
Good call. Probably should have qualified my response as well... Handguns almost without exception get cleaned. (Anything I'll carry gets cleaned either after the range or as soon as practical to do so) Rimfire and long guns less frequently. Hunting rifles not until season is over, as it impacts zero.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I tend to clean 22lr pistols and rifles after every range trip since most of the ammo is really dirty. Plus I like to limit the chance of having malfunctions when bringing my kids out to shoot. Outside of that, I clean most of my other caliber guns after about 400 or 500 rounds. My EDC gets cleaned after every trip also.

·
Registered
228 Posts
EDC gets cleaned every time out. I’m a strong believer in, “guns work until they don’t”, and if I’m going to potentially depend on it to save my life, I’m going to take care of it accordingly.

Range guns normally get thoroughly cleaned @500rds, otherwise just lubed.

Cleaning for me doesn’t include the barrel. Other than the chamber, I don’t touch the lands/grooves.

·
Registered
13 Posts
In all honesty, you can "overclean" a 1911. It was designed to take a beating, so. I clean mine after every 3-4 range trips. After about a thousand rounds though, I do a complete strip clean/flush of the entire weapon. I have 1 - 1911, that has probably seen at least 8k rounds through it. I bought it in 1997, and it's still running perfect. No jams, no misfires, runs nice. I will say, everyone is different and if you clean after EVERY trip, just be cautious with the barrel. BTW, I AM one of those who uses a JAG to clean the barrel. I know it's becoming uncommon, but... I have been around for a LONG time, been shooting since the early 70's.

·
Registered
20 Posts
This goes for both your range gun and EDC. So what's your standard practice? Do you clean your guns after ever range trip? Or do you just leave it as is and clean it after several range outings? And what's your reasoning behind the practice?
EDC is cleaned after every trip. Range toys get about 600 to 800 rounds before cleaning.

·
Premium Member
16,544 Posts
LOL...I can tell on thing, you do not live the Texas Hil country!

Doc, wife says I don't hear very well.

Ok, lean your head over and let me look inside your ear. WHAT THE HELL, your ear if full of Orange stuff, look at this.

Ohh Doc, that is Cedar sawdust, been clearing land again, cut over 1 million lbs of mostly Cedar.

Which brings me to my thoughts on cleaning guns.

I used to be fanatical about it. In the Army I was the first guy to pass inspection every time, be it my 1911, M 16, M 14. But I had a secret. Out on the ranch that old Ford 9n tractor spent a LOT of time slow speeds and rpm. So you had a hot running gas engine, Leaded gasoline and if you had not removed the exhaust flapper it would coat up with burnt on carbon. BUT the Tractor house had a solution. It was actually made by GM and all you did was pour some on, let sit about a half-hour and wipe off, carbon was GONE. Well, you did not leave the barracks on Sat until that weapon passed 'white glove', which often meant being there on Sat till 3 or later. I draw my weapon, soak in my secret sauce, put it in my wall locker, and go to the PX and the mess hall for lunch and then at 1330 when the PLT Daddy showed up hand him my weapon and I passed everything time...

FYI: Then Vietnam rolled around and they found the M16 would jam up and the ARMY blamed it on dirty weapons, a failure to clean. Typical govt/military blame it on the soldier not on the weapon. I was on the OP one night and my man said he needed to go back do something, I did not care he had been sleeping anyhow. Well, we hit and overrun and my M16 failed when I thought I needed it the most (truth be told it saved my life when it jammed). They were repelled and I laid there trying to unjam my M16. Next day the Armorer came out bring me a new BCG only this on was not black, but silver in color. Later in life I found out it was ChroMo which does not gall like Carpenter Steel does when heated from extreme use inside at Alum upper. It was the galling that was the issue. Amy still blames the soldier, nothing new.

What I learned from my time in combat (12) mo was that there no clean weapon out there. Soon as you clean it's dirty again. The Army solution was to send out bottles of the white lube and we used it liberally. There were no rags or much in cleaning supplies, so we ran wet. It worked well but still a lot of hard build-up, but that did not seem to affect so much. WWII, Korea, Vietnam, ME how often cleaned deep or just wiped and go...

Ever seen the testing done on a military firearm? Buried in the mud for 72 hrs, pick it up, shake, insert mag, shoot and it does...but wait you told me the M 16 failed because it was not clean...that had NOTHING to do with it, folks.

Video's for you viewing pleasure: Mud test on US Army 1911 - Google Search

So many many years ago I abandoned deep cleaning. When I leave the range or the field I run a light oil swab down the barrel, that is IT! Maybe after a HARD day at the range field strip and wipe and inspect.

Ruger 10/22, put over 25,000 rds down the pipe (snake hunting). Finally, it lost its accuracy and I gave it to a son of a gal I was dating for his 16th birthday. Spray gun and action with light lube and wipe, that is it.

Today modern powders and metallurgy make for some good shooting and a lot less maintenance.

I have seen some testing done on weapons with various cleaners and approaches to cleaning. By and large, the deep clean we grew up with does more damage to the gun and its rifling than just running a swab down and calling it a day.

View attachment 962469
No the Army used ball powder for 5.56 which Stoner told them NOT to use. Old story, long since documented. Production moved from ball powder jamming problem ceased.

A friend designed the proposed M-16 replacement called the LMR or LMW (at Aberdeen) while he worked at TRW.

·
Registered
39 Posts
This goes for both your range gun and EDC. So what's your standard practice? Do you clean your guns after ever range trip? Or do you just leave it as is and clean it after several range outings? And what's your reasoning behind the practice?
I clean them after each trip, to inspect for any damage/witness marks for a lack of proper lubrication or an ailing pistol

·
Registered
49 Posts
I personally like cleaning guns so for me it’s usually every range trip especially with my carry 1911 I don’t think they need to be cleaned that often but it definitely doesn’t hurt anything especially if it’s the gun that you could potentially bet your life on to work if the situation was to ever occur plus I just simply enjoy taking them apart cleaning/inspecting them

·
Registered
27 Posts
I try to wipe down the barrel and chamber area after each range trip, with cleaning wipes, but won't break it down and clean until 500 rounds. I agree that it depends on the gun though -- my Glocks don't get cleaned until more like 1k rounds.

661 - 680 of 688 Posts