close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Weekly Debate - GI vs. FLGR (Full Length Guide Rod)

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by Quack, Aug 28, 2011.

1. Quack

Quack it's mmm, mmm good... Staff Member Admin

Aug 15, 2011
    i don't mind either.

2. 50GI-Jess

50GI-Jess Member

Aug 24, 2011
    :pop2:
    Oh'e no here we go again. This bebate has been active for well over 30 yrs. or so.
    It's strickly a personal preference...nothing more. It add's a little extra weight and makes the takedown procedure different. Thats pretty much the buttom line. The full lenght GR was invented with the following in mind.
    1. Easier take down ( for some) that is.
    2. Add weight to the muzzle area for competition use.
    3. Extending the service time on the recoil spring, by keeping it straight.
    4. To make the felt recoil more consistent.
    5. Make the gun more reliable.

In reality only #2 is a proven fact. The rest is still discussed to death, but never really proven to the best of my knowledge.

3. TSiWRX

TSiWRX Member

Aug 21, 2011
  4. 38 Super Fan

38 Super Fan Bass Fishing Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    Pretty much a non factor for me, I do like the extra weight of a FLGR, but I also like the simplicity of the GI setup.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2011
  5. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Schütze

Aug 17, 2011
    Obviously a full length GR is not required, however engineering 101 will tell you that coil springs like guide rods.. I rather like them, but use both.. Ron

6. CMG

CMG Member

Aug 20, 2011
    I detest FLGRs (both varieties). In my hands they offer no performance advantage, make the front end look unfinished, and for me complicate the dis-assembly.

I've replaced all of mine with a standard rod & plug from Ed Brown.

Going from this:
    [​IMG]

to this:
    [​IMG]

Makes me :biggrin1:

7. rsxr22

rsxr22 Member

Aug 17, 2011
    I do not advocate FLGR's either for any application! I used to say I didnt mind them for games, but i'd never depend on a 1911 that had one until a few months ago. Somehow a round slipped through the Dillon without getting a crimp on it and jammed up the gun. If i would have had a GI plug i could have just punched the gun on the end of an object to free up the round, but instead i had to do a lot of unsafe stuff to get the round out! Some people will say, "well dont shoot reloads then!" Good point, but while it is much less of a percentage, the same can happen from factory and has happened to me in my TRP, which has the recoil assembly changed out! If your going to have a FLGR, I would suggest changing the rear sight out to a shelf style

8. Bender

Bender Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 15, 2011
    I've used both. I prefer the ease of use with the GI set-up.

9. knedrgr

knedrgr Low capacity, low tech...

Aug 15, 2011
    Never did care for the look of FLGR on a government or commander model.

10. Sir Guy

Sir Guy Sharpening Ockham's Razor Supporting Addict

Aug 20, 2011
    Aesthetically, I prefer the GI setup.

That aside, I like being able to take it down without tools. I don't use the old-school GI method for field stripping; I take the slide off while it's still sprung, to save wear on the bushing fit. Regardless, the GI setup just seems to be less to deal with.

Andy

11. SkDmRkLcY

SkDmRkLcY Active Member

Aug 17, 2011
    I prefer the GI, I have only ever tried a two piece FLGR for that end of things.

I do take down the Les Baer by removing the slide as the bushing will not move in full lockup. Just have to make sure things do not go flying!

12. Dave T

Dave T New Member

Aug 27, 2011
    I fear my response to this question is a reflection of my age. I got into shooting 1911s before the FLGR had been introduced. I got used to take down/disassembly with the stock plug & cap and still prefer it. I've been told by advocates of the FLGR that it keeps recoil springs from kinking. I can honestly say I've never experienced or talked to anyone who has experienced a kinked recoil spring. Largely because of this the FLGR seems like a solution to a non-existent problem. YMMV!

Dave

Rick Clowers and MamaBear like this.
  13. rick458

rick458 New Member

Aug 31, 2011
    I like 1 piece FLGRs not a big fan of 2 piece FLGRs

WatchFan1 likes this.
  14. GeorgiaRedfish

GeorgiaRedfish Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2011
    I really don't mind either, but if I had to decide I'd take the GI setup. I only see FLGR has a little more of a headache for little more difficult dis assembly and a little bit more weight.

15. Sir Guy

Sir Guy Sharpening Ockham's Razor Supporting Addict

Aug 20, 2011
    What amuses me are when I hear new-age shooters new to 1911s talk about the difference between the two.

I swear, you may go a little cross-eyed when you hear them remark, "Now, this new Rock Island 1911 I got is a new design. See how it only has a stubby little guide rod? Unlike my old Kimber." :lol:

Andy

16. Okie

Okie Member

Aug 18, 2011
    I prefer the GI two piece:biggrin1:

17. AUplainsman

AUplainsman New Member

Sep 1, 2011
    I put another vote in for the GI setup!

WatchFan1 likes this.
  18. Hurricanes

Hurricanes Member

Aug 21, 2011
    I don't really mind the FLGR in my RIA Tac, but I'll probably be switching it out for a GI. I just really like the look of 1911s with the GI set-up.
    -Joel

19. G26S239

G26S239 New Member

Aug 17, 2011
    I really dislike the FLGR, I don't care to have to use a bushing wrench to take down my 1911. The bushing on my Les Baer TRS was ridiculously tight, through careful use of valve grinding compound I now have the bushing to where I can take down the TRS by hand. My Kimber Ultra CDP II requires a bent piece of steel for takedown and so does my RIA 1911cs because it has a FLGR w/reverse plug. I tolerate using a tool to field strip those two because I like them, I will never use a FLGR on a full size 1911.

20. Magus

Magus New Member

Aug 20, 2011
    I'll stick with a GI setup. In all my years with 1911's, I've yet to see one real substantial benefit of using a FLGR.

WatchFan1 likes this.
Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted