1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dug out some of reloads I have had sitting around for a few years. Previously I have shot several thousands of this load through 9mm glocks and 1911s. Trying them out in a new gun I notice this following primer strikes. They aren't cratered or flattened but wanted to see what you think:
1440800523097-2033613326.jpg

·
Registered
7,231 Posts
Over pressure? Blurry pic on my screen. But looks flowed to me. Yet you state you've used them in a block and for certain if they work in Glock, notorious for lack of case support, they should work in anything. Others will chime in, but thats what it looks like to me. Good luck

·
Premium Member
28,000 Posts
What exact pistol dod those come out of? Looks like ya got issues with the breech face.

·
In Therapy, no hope
1,347 Posts
On what Bender said, looks like head space may be a bit long to allow primer flow.

·
Premium Member
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
M&P 9 with a storm lake bbl. Apex sear and trigger kit no RAM.

I should note that I found some std pressure 147 gr factory ammo in my range bag and the primer was marked in the same way. I was also getting the occasional light primer strike with the reloaded ammo.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,231 Posts
I should note that I found some std pressure 147 gr factory ammo in my range bag and the primer was marked in the same way. I was also getting the occasional light primer strike with the reloaded ammo.

Well that IS interesting. Headspace too long to flow like that? Should have good case support with that barrel would think.

·
Premium Member
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm going to shoot more standard pressure factory loads through it and will report back. Going to shelve those reloads now for the time being just to be safe

·
Registered
7,231 Posts
Good idea, eliminate simple things and try to isolate the problem. Will follow along and hope you get situation resolved.

·
Premium Member
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Shot some of these old reloads through my sig today. Normal primer strikes. I'm going to have to say it is something about the way that APEX kit was installed by previous owner on that M&P.

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
I'd say more of a firearm issue than a reload issue.

Bob

·
Premium Member
28,000 Posts
Shot some of these old reloads through my sig today. Normal primer strikes. I'm going to have to say it is something about the way that APEX kit was installed by previous owner on that M&P.

Don't see how that could be from the Apex kit install

·
Premium Member
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Mostly win primers. Some cci.just weird that the Sig doesn't do that to the primers but the M&P does. I'm down to only 50 of those loads left anyway. Will monitor the M&P as I continue to shoot it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

·
Don't need no education
1,934 Posts
I agree with Arkie. Most likely firearm issue.

·
Premium Member
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Shot it again today. Doesn't happen with factory Speer lawman but does with the reloads. Weird.

The reloads are all gone at any rate.

·
Registered
546 Posts
M&P 9 with a storm lake bbl. Apex sear and trigger kit no RAM.

Looks like the barrel is to far into lockup or not locking up completely. Does that M&P shoot high or low?.. when barrels are fitted properly the primer strike is dead center.. take it to a good gunsmith, he’ll fix right up. I had a import 1911 way back when,, it shot low and all the 45acp case primers were off center ,, took it to a gunsmith he shimmed the ejection port slide area ,,the barrel got level center,,,shot real good after that.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Looks like the breech is unlocking before the pressure drops. Try some different and/or stonger springs and see if that helps.

·
Registered
324 Posts
The Smith shield plus pistols have an upside down tear shape recess around fp aperture. I'm not sure why they do this, if it was a rifle the primer would blank badly. Snap a pic of breechface, in focus, and let's see what that looks like

·
Registered
324 Posts
Generally if it's unlocking earlier, the fp strike will be smeared. That looks like primer flow. I've had cold weld on older rifle reloads. Didn't effect pressure enough to show pressure signs, but they didn't shoot as good as freshly loaded. I could seat bullets deeper to break cold weld, could hear a pop when they broke loose. Then I'd use a kinetic puller to make oil long, then reseat to original oil, they shot perfect then.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts