1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new to me Dan Wesson ECO has had this failure 3 times in less than 200 rounds. I always try to clear jams quick as practice for real world situations so I didn’t examine it too closely, but it appears that the round is ahead of the extractor. Then it gets kinda stuck angled up into the chamber. A rap on the back of the slide will Not send it home. I’ve had to drop the mag and retract the slide and the round just drops out through the magwell. (The “almost closed” slide keeps it pinched in place. The round isn’t stuck or jammed in there. It falls free easily when I retract the slide.). This has always occurred with the last round in the magazine, but not always the same magazine. This has not occurred using the same mags and ammo in a different, compact-framed gun. I bought this gun used from another member here so I’m at least the second owner. Round count unknown but these eco recoil springs are supposed to be good for 15k rounds. Again, round count unknown but from appearance it can’t be anything close to 15k.

·
I wanna go fast!
183 Posts
Could be extractor tension. I would check that. If the tension is right I would test with some other compact mags.

·
Administrator
8,150 Posts
When I was having feeding issues with my ECO was due to recoil spring being weak. They don’t last 15k like they say. The only place I was able to get one was Dan Wesson.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Reloads or factory ammo? If the cartridge is a reload, there might be irregularities such as excessive bell or the projectile wasn’t seated properly or the crimp was too tight...all of these were found during my long march to the best setup on my Dillon...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@FrankB Thanks. I will check the extractor tension.

@WWB I will price a new recoil spring assembly and likely grab one. I always replace recoil springs when I buy a used gun. The only reason I didn’t in this case was because of DW’s claim of 15k life. I’d be surprised if my ECO has even 5k rounds through it.

@Mikey421 Factory ammo. In this case Magtech ball. Rounds that jammed always fired cleanly from the next mag. And again, no issues with same mags/ammo in another gun.

I have the 2 DW mags that came with the Eco and 2 Sig mags that shipped with my C3. I had both guns out Saturday and used all four mags in both guns. This is only the second time I shot the Eco. It happened once Saturday in about 100 rounds and it happened twice in about 100 rounds the first time I shot it. I guess I should be looking at mag springs too.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wanted to add I really like the ECO and am hoping I can get this figured out so I can carry it regularly. I love the way it looks and it feels great in my hand. Great FS checkering. Excellent size/weight for carry and carries nicely in a Clinger “Stingray” kydex holster.
Saturday I shot the ECO, Sig C3 and S&W 9mm Shield. I’m in a sling after some shoulder surgery so wanted to shoot carry guns one handed. I shot the ECO the best of the 3; tightest groups, most centered on the target.

·
Registered
8,601 Posts
new mags with tight springs can cause a lot of headaches. stick to the simple things first.

break inthe magazines. leave them fully loaded this week and shoot the gun again

·
Registered
415 Posts
. . . the round is ahead of the extractor.
Classic symptom of an inertia feed.

Multiple potential causes. Weak mag spring, follower hanging up inside the mag, slide short stroking, too strong recoil spring, and a couple others I can't come up with at the moment.

Because these short 1911s function within a compressed time frame as compared to 5" 1911s I strongly suggest the following.

Fit a flat bottom firing pin stop from EGW or Harrison. This will slow the rearward movement of the slide. Drop in a heavier than standard mainspring (hammer spring). This will also slow the slide. The idea is to use these two to allow the use of a lighter recoil spring. The objective of all this is to increase the dwell time of the slide (the amount of time the slide is fully to the rear before it begins coming forward). This will give the magazine spring more time to push the column of cartridges up into firm contact with the feed lips. Another benefit of using a lighter recoil spring is that the amount of muzzle dip as the slide slams into the slide stop pin will be reduced as will the wear and tear on the lower barrel lug feet and slide stop pin. Here's a video that may be illustrative:

You should also fully disassemble your mag, put just the follower back in the tube, then slowly push the follower up and down the tube to see if it hesitates anywhere. If it does, sand out the rough spot.

Check the hook to breechface distance of the extractor. It should be no less than .075". I experienced your malfunction in a pistol where the hook to breechface distance was less than .075". Once I fixed that all was well.

If you don't want to go through all the above, the simplest and fastest thing to try is replacing the mag spring with a new/stronger one.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks @boatdoc and @Steve in Allentown. Gonna try all these suggestions (except I don’t know if DW offers different spring weights).

I will update this thread with findings and results. Next range trip I’ll take only the Eco and my four compact mags and pay more attention to the what and when and hopefully figure out the why and correct it.

If anyone else has any more thoughts I’d still love to hear them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts