close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to the Stupid Idiot Group

Discussion in 'Beginner's Corner' started by minderasr, Sep 3, 2011.

1. minderasr

minderasr Member

Aug 20, 2011
    Apparently I spoke too soon, about not being in the "Stupid Idiot" group, in another thread. No I didn't scratch anything with the slide stop.

After sending 150 flawless rounds down range, I was reloading with my carry ammo. Apparently the magazine wasn't fully inserted, but a bullet was loaded somehow. When I tried to engage the safety lock, I noticed the slide was not in battery. So what did I do? You guessed it, I mindlessly racked the slide. As I was doing this, my brain was screaming, NO YOU IDIOT WAIT!

After getting home and testing a few times, I realized what I had to do. I placed an order for a new extractor.

:frusty:

So what have you done to warrant membership in this group?

2. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Schütze

Aug 17, 2011
    Did it break off the hook. Ron

3. jst1tym

jst1tym What No Delete Button? Supporting Addict

Aug 23, 2011
    Though not a pistol related issue, it was related to firearms. Certainly qualifying me anyways. But I learned a great lesson aside from it. I did not pay attention for a second reloading several years when I was learning and did not see that no charge had been dropped in a case. And being on a progressive machine the bullet was seated along the track and discharged into the bullet catcher. While shooting my Python and being at an indoor range, I just could tell that something was different about that discharge, halted firing, put the pistol down, notified the range safety officier. We carefully examined the barrel and sure enough, the bullet had logged in the barrel near the end. Not enough to stick out of the 6" barrel but an inch from the end...I'm extremely happy that I didn't fire the next round at the time but learned a valuable lesson from the squib. I now have an led portable flashlight shinning down on the bullet tray from the plate on my dillon 550b and pay close attention to the powder charge drop before bullet seating. At the expense of time spent, safety is a premium. Lesson learned, and guilty as charged for a membership in the group :tongue:

4. minderasr

minderasr Member

Aug 20, 2011
    It didn't break but it's borked somehow. It no longer catches the case rim.

5. jst1tym

Aug 23, 2011
    Wow, not too many replies in this thread...maybe I shouldn't have spoken so quick, now I do feel a member of the SIG :frusty:

6. Chris

Chris YOU ****!!!! Supporting Addict

Aug 17, 2011
    Don't sweat it. We all do dumb **** from time to time. As long as we learn from it and can help others learn from our mistakes, all is good.

7. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Schütze

Aug 17, 2011
    Might as well "adjust" on it then.. Nothing to lose... Ron

8. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Schütze

Aug 17, 2011
    Nah.. I think people just don't want to think about them. My screw-ups mostly related to scratches and dings.. Ron

9. jst1tym

Aug 23, 2011
    Ron, you know your're right. Actually for the large part, being conditioned mostly on other forums, you learn to keep your head down at times,you learn sometimes it's easier to play it safe I guess. Here it seems that you're encouraged to participate, I'm learning to do that in a new environment with little reservation. And you do not have a "delete button" for posts I've noticed :tongue:

10. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Schütze

Aug 17, 2011
    Did I show you my Les Baer guaranteed 1 1/2' @ 25 yards target.... noR

[​IMG]

11. jst1tym

Aug 23, 2011
    I didn't really know that Baer made shotguns??

12. Quack

Quack it's mmm, mmm good... Staff Member Admin

Aug 15, 2011
    thought he was asking a statement and not asking a gunsmithing question, there's a sub-forum for that ;)

13. jst1tym

Aug 23, 2011
    Don, I'm not too sure exactly what you meant and do not in any way wish to be taken out of context. My statement about the shotgun was my poor attempt at humor..I was told that since my injury that sometimes I take things too serious, so I'm trying to lighten up a bit. Sorry..

14. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Schütze

Aug 17, 2011
    LOL.. That's what the target was posted for.. Humor.. My 1 1/2' (feet) @ 20 yards guarantee is good for any pistol.. hahahahaha.. Cheers.. Ron

15. limbkiller

limbkiller Pulling my hair. Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    I've been married twice does that count as stupid things done.:lol:

16. jst1tym

Aug 23, 2011
    From my POV, thats quite normal. Usually by the second you're getting into the swing of things!:thumb:

17. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Schütze

Aug 17, 2011
    Third time's a charm.. Ron

18. minderasr

minderasr Member

Aug 20, 2011
    Now that I've had some time to sit and digest this...will I need to have the new extractor tuned or will it be plug and play?

19. Quack

Quack it's mmm, mmm good... Staff Member Admin

Aug 15, 2011
    needs to be tuned. nothing is drop-in

20. Sir Guy

Sir Guy Sharpening Ockham's Razor Supporting Addict

Aug 20, 2011
    Perhaps I'm overthinking it, but I don't think I really understand what happened here. Might someone be able to explain the malfunction? :smilie:

Andy

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted