1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed a kart xact fit barrel a while back on a project gun. I was looking at it today and I think I could’ve fit it better. It was my first time, that particular barrel. Would it be ok to have a mechanic friend of mine tig weld (the one that uses electrial current? Not sure if that’s right) the sides of the hood and the raised spots that were in the first upper lug, the spot kart has you fit, and attempt to fit it better? Any precautions or advice?

·
The Tinker
3,566 Posts
TIG is the only welding I would recommend on a barrel as is (relatively) low heat compared to other types of welding. I have had barrels TIG welded before, and they turn out fine, depending on the skill of the welder of course.

Is your mechanic friend familiar with doing small welds?

·
Christ is my front sight.
815 Posts
Be careful! I learned the hard way with barrel welding and lost the barrel. No fault of the welder but make sure they are a gunsmith welder not just a great welder. There is a difference. Very different issue involved and you must absolutely use some kind of heat sink. I got my barrel back and it had the temper removed. Just my experience. Good luck.

·
The Tinker
3,566 Posts
There is nothing special about 'gunsmith' welding.

I had two barrels TIG welded by a professional fabricating shop. The owner (he did the welding) had never welded on any firearm component prior to this, and they came out great.

It really depends on who is driving the torch. :)

You said "brazed". Did someone actually braze on a barrel for you?

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I showed him the barrel. He said the welding wouldn’t be a problem. I have an old H&R top break 22lr revolver that the firing pin broke off the hammer. He welded that back on for me and I refit it, so he’s good at small, precise welding. He said he wanted to know what kind of carbon steel it was. The number, like 4140 etc. as far as a full fit kart barrel, I was thinking of trying one, but I don’t have the tools to set chamber depth.

·
The Tinker
3,566 Posts
That's what I'd think.
Good welder ain't exactly cheap.
Well I managed to get two Briley barrels rewelded for $80.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts