close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Well...first competition was...interesting

Discussion in 'Beginner's Corner' started by JonFrank, Mar 19, 2017.

1. JonFrank

JonFrank Active Member

Feb 17, 2015
    They gave us the newb speech..."don't shoot yourself, don't shoot me."

Then I'm putting my mag holders on my belt and ask a guy how many rounds are typically shot per stage and he said a perfect was 30. I must have had quite the look on my face cause he asked if those were the only mag holders I brought. I told him they were my only ones as of the day before!

The consensus was I should carry a spare mag in my teeth. They poo poo'd my idea of one of them tossing me one behind their back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bamashooter and Sterling Archer like this.
  2. CardiacColt68

CardiacColt68 Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2015
    I don't quite understand the competitions with guns no one would ever carry or use, and 100 rounds of extra ammo. And extra 5 lbs of crap no one would ever use. I guess any training is good, but your pathetic showing probably taught you more than all the guys with the cool rigs combined. Good job going out and doing your best.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3. JonFrank

JonFrank Active Member

Feb 17, 2015
    Hey CC68, you wanna meet me outside?!

Lol. It's good to be humbled. My only hope is that it bored them tremendously watching my slo-mo reloads, all of them!

I was geeking out on one guys STI in my group. I asked if I could finger it after the match. For some reason I couldn't find him afterwards.

Fred_G likes this.
  4. CardiacColt68

CardiacColt68 Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2015
    I only meant pathetic compared to their standards. IMO you are better off losing competitions and training with what you actually carry and use. Half those guys are using 3 lb rigs with an extra 30 rounds of ammo. In real life they carry crappy little micro, subcompact, tupperware, revolver rigs! They couldn't bit a barn door from 30' without a magwell and an extra 3 mags?

Then again there are guys that can grab a random gun, blindfolded and hit the center from 50 feet every time. The bastards!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Fred_G and JonFrank like this.
  5. Sterling Archer

Sterling Archer Codename Duchess Supporting Addict

Aug 30, 2015
    To some it's purely a game. They don't carry a gun but enjoy shooting sports. As such they look to take any advantage through gear they can.

Fred_G likes this.
  6. Fred_G

Fred_G Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Dec 29, 2015
    Yep, holsters you would not carry with... To each his own. I have a few kydex holsters, and use them all along. But 9 times out of 10, when I draw and shoot, it is from my EDC holster. I do add an additional mag pouch or two if in a class.

7. EXFI

EXFI Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2014
    Okay, you got the BIG one out of the way. The first one is the hardest. Sorry those ********* put you out there first.

I knew a guy who shot a Python in steel matches. He had a FAST draw. He walked the stages. His speed loader reloads were fast. He smoked a bunch of equipment investors when the dust settled. He never missed.

Break your draw down into the component parts. Start from the two hand firing position. Holster the pistol without shifting your grip and keep your grip established. Make a mental note of your wrist, elbow and shoulder positions. Now draw slowly and repeat. You are trying to establish a memory of establishing the grip the same way everytime before you exit the holster.

Once you get that repeatable work on establishing the grip from the start position in use at the matches. When you get some confidence you add the draw and the extension.

Now you start in slow motion and only speed up as you are properly executing with no error in the grip. Bad grip equals bad juju. The front sight hides. You have to adjust. You lose time trying to win the race. Slow and smooth is faster than what feels fast with an error along the way. The speed will come but you got to walk without falling down before you can run.

Make the first shot count. It is faster than a miss. It teachs you to make all your shots count. Nothing more demoralizing than a missed first shot. It does not bode well for the rest of the stage.

Get some action proving dummy rounds. You can then safely practice your reloads with the same weight as ammunition and protect your trigger from the stress of dropping the slide on an empty chamber. Again smooth is fast. Start slow and only speed up as you get if right. Visualize hitting the next target after the reload.

Get to work!

awp101, v1911, Pennywise827 and 4 others like this.
  8. JonFrank

JonFrank Active Member

Feb 17, 2015
    EXFI

Excellent and very appreciative of the response.

I will work on these things. I want to learn it. It really fascinates me.

As far as practicing with snap caps. The best way is pull the trigger, thumb cock it, and repeat?

Is there any benefit to getting some sort of bore laser (such as sighting in optic) and work on transitions from target to target in the house without breaking my upper extremity positioning? I'm thinking of sticky notes or note cards taped to the wall and moving from holster to first target then progress so that I get my muscle memory improving on my transitions?

9. EXFI

EXFI Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2014
    My mechanic says to manipulate the slide for dryfire. You do not need snap caps for dry fire in a centerfire 1911.

You want to use action proving dummy rounds to simulate a reload from slide lock as the weight of the dummy round retards the slide going to battery just like a live round.

You can buy action proving dummies from Brownells. Alternatively, a reloader can make them up with no power charge over a spent primer topped off with a bullet. Watch the reloader unless you know him to be meticulous. Those on the other side of your mirror will thank you. :)

10. EXFI

EXFI Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2014
    Oh! Part two.

I do not see any harm to the drill unless...the laser teaches you to watch the wall instead of the front sight. You can probably skip the expense as a bore mounted laser will shine low on a fixed sight 1911 I would think.

11. Fred_G

Fred_G Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Dec 29, 2015
    EXFI, you can also make those dummy rounds with no primmer, as an added little bit of safety.

Dry practice has been a huge help for me. Only costs a little for a few dummy rounds and your time.

12. EXFI

EXFI Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2014
    You are right, Fred. My mental game is not what it used to be and my scores reflect that.

13. Jim w.

Jim w. Active Member

Jul 27, 2016
    Inconsiderate of them to not let you know what to expect.
    Good for you, jumping in at the deep end.

There are dryfire and live fire drills all over the place. I wonder about one of those laser emitter - laser detector target rigs. That would not condition you to look for the beam.

Unless you want to buy a gun suitable for 30 pieces of steel, your present gun would be just about perfect for IDPA ESP. You can of course plug along at an equipment disadvantage in other matches if that is what is available or most enjoyable.

14. JonFrank

JonFrank Active Member

Feb 17, 2015
    I've been thinking of how I want to practice reactive targets more at the pasture range.

I have been looking at buying AR500 steel and whatnot. And will likely still do so.

But then I remembered. My dad and I bought several boxes of used bowling pins years ago. Probably 5-6 dozen. They kinda just got forgotten in his shop.

I can build stands for those for singles then build a ledge for lining 6 or so up in a string.

azpoolguy likes this.
  15. JonFrank

JonFrank Active Member

Feb 17, 2015
    Thinking I will build a few like these...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

To put down here...
    [​IMG]
    Hard to tell in this pic but there is a fabricated aluminum table setup as a rest or equip. Just toss a movers blanket over it.
    From it, shooting to the right you can set up a 100yrd target.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
  16. Jim w.

Jim w. Active Member

Jul 27, 2016
    The indoor range our LE, MIL, CC league shoots on does not allow steel, so when a reactive target is wanted, we get bowling pins. Tough targets. As M. Ayoob wrote, the key to success in pinshooting is "Hit the White Part."

Rick Clowers likes this.
  17. JonFrank

JonFrank Active Member

Feb 17, 2015
    Does it seem to work well?

I realize that a pin shoot is a classic pistol game. Heck I've read of people making special pin guns and pin handloads.

I've also read that, I believe from an established gunsmith, some pins can be more dense. Are there issues with ricochets from pins?

Also, I think i want to build the first rack like the first pic. Will a treated 4x4 hold up well to a few errant shots or should I invest time into putting a piece of angle iron on the face of it?

For the people who run comps at their ranges, is there a height that is preferred? Base at 4 foot?

18. tarosean

tarosean Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2013
    I think you need to go to some matches and see for yourself before painting with such a wide brush.

The amount of Ammo is typically for a reason.. While you may have a 32rd course of fire you may have mandatory mag changes at specific intervals or shooting positions/hands, malfunctions or a number of other things that can cause you to go from a ton of ammo to an empty gun quickly.

Once the OP gets good enough he will know exactly when he needs to change mags, sometimes dropping a half full one on the ground just to be set up perfect for the next array.

No, I don't carry my 48oz, CZ, with 84rds of 40SW, around.. but it's a hell of a lot of fun to shoot it on the weekends.. Same with my G34 or Nighthawk when I feel like shooting those classes...

Also you would be very surprised what some of these USPSA GM's are capable of, at full speed, sounding like a fully automatic pistol.. It's mind boggling for sure.

v1911 and JonFrank like this.
  19. v1911

v1911 Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2016
    Because watching someone use their LCP to shoot a 32 round CoF would be painful to watch. And to be honest, I've never heard of anyone running over 10k rounds through their mouse gun. Some of the competitors can go though as much as 100k rounds of ammo in a year. I'd like to see someone do that with their Sig P238.

20. JonFrank

JonFrank Active Member

Feb 17, 2015
    My 2nd comp was much more successful. First and foremost, EVERYONE, was super friendly. Met @Sterling Archer and @Avenger1

Sterling Archer invited me to attend this shoot. He communicated with me the entire week prior and provided a proper OWB holster for me to use.

This entire event was pure enjoyment. Tons of rooms for improvement.

S. Archer provided me with a video of my first stage, the Texas Star. This was the first time I've ever shot a star. They also had a blue stationary plate that had to be shot. The other guys will be able to explain better but basically could not be shot first.

PS: Avenger1 son is a top shot and super polite kiddo!

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted