1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today, I decided to clean my Pro. That went well, so I decided to do a detail strip. It’s my first time and I’m following YouTube videos. I watched some ACW and decided to follow this “tool less one”.
That was damn stupid. It was going well, until I broke the hook off the spring and scratched the frame trying to remove the mag release screw

So….how screwed am I?

Feel free to pile on. Can’t feel worse than I already do.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Follow-up.

Is this little screw reverse thread? It’s so damn tight a good fitting screwdriver isn’t doing anything. I haven’t given it my all, but more than I would think would be necessary.

·
Registered
6,417 Posts
Follow-up.

Is this little screw reverse thread? It’s so damn tight a good fitting screwdriver isn’t doing anything. I haven’t given it my all, but more than I would think would be necessary.
The mag release has to be partially depressed to turn the screw out a quarter turn to align the release tab.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Follow-up.

Thats not a screw…it’s a latch that rotates. You have to depress the magazine release and then rotate it with screwdriver.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Scratches is character.... feel better? The sear spring can be cleaned up with fine sandpaper.
Edit to add: Did a piece of the sear spring actually break off? If so, replace it...
Yes, the tab snapped off the longest leg.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes sir, deeps the spring properly positioned on the lower leg of the sear...
Well crap. I figured it wasn’t there, for looks.

Does it matter where I get a replacement from? Won’t it affect the trigger pull?

Yay. Ordering parts.
Is there anything else I should go ahead and keep, on hand?
Getting this back together was going to be sporty, anyway……it’s going to be real interesting after waiting for replacement parts to arrive. FML.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
PM me your mailing address and I will send you a replacement Colt sear spring. About the only other part to keep in hand is the recoil spring. Most last up to 5000 rounds. 17 or 18 pounds are the most common weights.
I sure appreciate the offer. I think I’m going to figure out what recoil springs my Pro and my EB commander use and get those at the same time, just to have. It looks like springs are too inexpensive to not keep on hand.

Is Colt the best way to go, for the Sear spring?

·
It is a dry heat, right...
3,893 Posts
I sure appreciate the offer. I think I’m going to figure out what recoil springs my Pro and my EB commander use and get those at the same time, just to have. It looks like springs are too inexpensive to not keep on hand.

Is Colt the best way to go, for the Sear spring?
I have always used and prefer the Colt style sear springs. I have found that they are easier to tune for the ignition parts and hold the tune well. Just me, many other opinions out there...
Take a look at Wolff Springs. I have used them for many years and never had issues with any of their products.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Hi,
Not being cute, but you need to get a few books, and do some reading...

Probably cheaper in the end...

JMB made a few parts in the 1911, do a few different jobs, which with simplicity, revealed his genius!

·
Registered
Ask me about faith...
725 Posts
Been there. Done that. Broke a sear spring trying to install a magwell.... Got a Wilson Combat bulletproof sear spring since it was a WC pistol but yeah... That sear spring needed tuned to get the trigger pull right....

Reactions: Dub and Al414

·
I'm done buying guns, I'm just a bystander now
7,162 Posts
How did you break the tab on the sear spring, irs tough and hardened, it's a spring 🤔

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
How did you break the tab on the sear spring, irs tough and hardened, it's a spring 🤔
I thought it was a screw. I didn’t realize it was a quarter turn and the button had to be partially pressed. It didn’t take much force to break the tip off. Surprisingly little, actually.

When the tip snapped off, the sharp edge drug across the frame.

My ability to F something up is second to none.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hi,
Not being cute, but you need to get a few books, and do some reading...

Probably cheaper in the end...

JMB made a few parts in the 1911, do a few different jobs, which with simplicity, revealed his genius!
Yeah, I am well aware I didn’t have adequate knowledge.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts