1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well today I did a trade and got a new unfired Scar 17. This is a rifle I had always wanted but at the same time never thought Id get. Truthfully I have no issues with buying firearms that cost the same amount as a Scar but I always think when I get to that price point well I could buy a LMT and its cheaper will do everything the Scar will or I can buy this or that gun or two of this gun etc. Anyways Now I have to spend more money outfitting this thing.....I can't WAIT!!!!!
Shotgun Tan Hardwood Air gun Trigger

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Actually shot one of these for the first time today and was really impressed with the recoil impulse. Very smooth! I’m sure you’ll enjoy it?
Yea I am excited about it, As much as I love the AR platform its kinda nice to have something that has a different operation. I have read basically nothing but Praise over the Scar 17 over the years but I wan't sure how id do the with umm Polymer Body as I love guns that are Metal but I am impressed with the gun so far and look forward to shooting it. Trying to decide the Optic for it, thinking a Sig Tango6T 1-6 with the 7.62 reticle.

·
Premium Member
31,238 Posts
You will love it. Ive shot them a few times but have never bought a SCAR.
Its a robust, smooth shooting rifle. There are a few great accessories available for it now.
Have fun with your new platform.

·
Every day is Saturday and every night's a party!
7,829 Posts
Congratulations! When my kid got into special ops they had some different choices for primary weapons and accessories, while most of the guys he knew chose an M4 variant he went with a SCAR-H and loved it for the power, penetration, and accuracy. I'd wanted a SCAR or a Galil, but couldn't make myself pay the money for the SCAR so I bought a .308 Galil. One of these days I'll get time to shoot it.
Looking forward to you range report!

·
North Central AZ Grasslands
3,369 Posts
I had a Scar 16. After I shot it my AR's all stayed in the safe. Totally different feel (much nicer)

Congrats

Reactions: JRK1990

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I def wouldn’t mind a Scar 17. The only gripe is reciprocating charging handle and they are VERY hard on optics. I personally would opt for the Vortex Razor 1-6 over the Sig.
That's also a very good option. I know that Sig is the one that won the contract to be used on the HK MR762 rifles the Military is starting to use.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I've been wanting a 17' for at least 5 years. Every time I've thought "ok lets do this" and start shopping for the Scar I find the prices continue to increase and I back out.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I've been wanting a 17' for at least 5 years. Every time I've thought "ok lets do this" and start shopping for the Scar I find the prices continue to increase and I back out.
yea that is one part on why I did the trade, I looked around at more of the popular online gun dealers and I noticed they hadn't got any cheaper and in some cases had gotten more expensive or they were out of stock which is what I noticed was most common.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Very nice. I love my Scar 17. It is a solid, reliable, accurate, fast, light recoiling, piston driven, 308 thumper. I do agree that they are painfully over priced, but that is what it is. FN is taking every penny they can get for them and they sell every one they make. Plus as stated earlier, they haven't declined in value.

I considered other AR options when battle rifle shopping but ultimately I prefer the Scar platform. I like side chargers, pistons, evolved AR control ergos, folding stocks, ect.

In hind sight I wish I would have bought and SBR'd Scar 16 instead of building my pair of SBR AR's.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.