1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone.
Went shooting Thurs. and brought along my Bisley 45 colt, S&W M-15 38 special, Smith 638 38 special +p, and ACW Prime 45 acp.

Textile Sleeve Denim Font Collar

I had some new reloads to try in the revolvers and brought the ACW along because I haven't been shooting in quite a while and wanted to see how it would do.
I started by setting up the chrono and a target at 10 yards to shoot at while chronographing.

There was an off and on breeze from my right and the sun was behind me and a little to the right. Sometimes the sight picture was really clear and crisp and other times I would have to blink or close my eyes for a second to clear the fuzz up a little bit.
Any way this was the target at 10 yard sitting.
The target for the 638 says double action, I'm not sure if that is correct, probably single action.

Handwriting Textile Font Organism Pattern

The target is a little confusing the first Bisley group is on the lower left(dot got shot off) and then the group marked 2nd Bisley group was loaded with Bayou Bullets 250gr rnfp coated bullets.
That group was so nice I tried the first load again which is the lower right group with the mbc swc bullets, same as the first one.
The Bisley trigger is fairly light and has a very small amount of smooth creep, which I don't mind but it I have to be remind myself of it.

The 38 special groups show what I had expected, the 638 has always shot to the right and the m15 is a good little shooter that I bought used in '09 for $250 + tax. I found the receipt a few days ago looking for a different receipt. Both 38s were shot single action. The 638's single action trigger is practically perfect for me, light but not too light and clean.

The Alchemy always takes a minute to get used to the trigger is very light, but it does ok. :)

Here are the chrono results. I'm going to be trying more loads for the 45 colts in the coming weeks. Looking for about 1000fps with the 255's and the same velocity with some 280 grain LBTs I'm going to have to cast. I have a few that I powder coated a while back that I will try again, didn't seem like I was real happy with the was they shot when I first made them.

Here's the chrono results if anyone is interested.

Handwriting Font Rectangle Plant Parallel

And finally :) (I know this is getting long) I had enough time to shoot a few groups at 25 yards.
First the 38's
Font Circle Drawing Illustration Art

And the Bisley

Handwriting Font Automotive tire Circle Poster

Finally the ACW

Font Art Circle Recreation Electric blue

· Registered
4,811 Posts
That's great. I use AA#2 in my .45ACP loads as well. I use 5.2gr. for 233gr. LRN's and 200gr. SWC's and 5.8gr. for 200gr. RNFP's. Your Silhouette load in the .45 Colt is very interesting. I have found some great loads with Silhouette and 185gr. JHP's in the .45ACP.

Your ACW is beautiful and that's some fine shooting.

· Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Merton.
Since I found the Blackhawk I'm getting more interested in my Revolvers, it's a pleasure not to have to pick up brass after shooting!
The Bayou Bullets 250gr seems very consistent, good thing, because I had ordered 65 pounds of them.
I'm just getting started figuring out loads. I'll probably have a hunting load, a range load, and maybe a light load for newbies.
I've got a new 45 mold and a 38 mold on order, tired of buying bullets, and I'll probably be casting and testing loads for quite a while.

The ACW would of had a better score if I had remembered it shoots a little high at 25 yards, right on a 50 though. :)

· Registered
4,811 Posts
Thanks Merton.
Since I found the Blackhawk I'm getting more interested in my Revolvers, it's a pleasure not to have to pick up brass after shooting!
The Bayou Bullets 250gr seems very consistent, good thing, because I had ordered 65 pounds of them.
I'm just getting started figuring out loads. I'll probably have a hunting load, a range load, and maybe a light load for newbies.
I've got a new 45 mold and a 38 mold on order, tired of buying bullets, and I'll probably be casting and testing loads for quite a while.

The ACW would of had a better score if I had remembered it shoots a little high at 25 yards, right on a 50 though. :)
Which molds do you have? I have cast more .38/.357 bullets than any others in my life. In my opinion, for a light load that shoots very well in the .45 Colt it's tough to beat 6.0 or 6.5gr. Red Dot with a 250gr. RNFP. I just was shooting a few .38+P loads with the 170gr. Lyman 358429 Keith bullet out of my 4" 28-2 using Universal and W572 powders. Both did well at the top end, which are just into +p territory. My current 4" K-Frame .38 is a Model 67. I need to pick up another 15. They are great guns.

I have had two ACW's. Currently I have one, a Classic Carry .45. They are incredible guns, for sure.

· Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have three LBT molds, 45 280gr wfn, 44 270gr WFN, 358 140gr FN.
Accurate Molds, 45-253M and 36-137V. These both have big flat points.

The only 357 I have is a marlin 1894.
My first pistol was a Python, still remember the serial #. The firing pin broke, and it was big and heavy, and I didn't want to scratch it. After I got it fixed I sold it to a co-worker for more than I paid after 15 years of shooting it. I don't miss it, except for sentimental reasons, first pistol.

I keep seeing Red Dot mentioned for 45 Colt.
I made some loads a few weeks ago with Universal, they shot very well but Universal doesn't seem to be suitable for heavier bullets. Wish there was more data for it.
Silhouette shows loads up into Ruger only loads, #5 and HS-6 too. I'll probably be concentrating on them for a while. I'm pretty well stocked on the powders that I have.

Accurate #2 is my favorite 45 acp powder right now. I like the velocity and accuracy I'm getting, as well as the low flash.
I like my ACW except for the thumb safety, and the trigger is the lightest out of all my pistols, and I always have to get readjusted to it.
I'd have to say my Les Baer is still my favorite. I've had it since 2010 and its been great.
This might sound crazy, but I might send the ACW back for a heavier trigger! And a different safety while it's there. Probably just need to spend more time with it but I like to shoot all of them and I'll be mostly shooting revolvers for a while.

· Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Made a few bullets today.
Didn't really have the time, but I wanted to see what the bullets looked liked and just try one out.

I ended up casting with the 45 Accurate mold and just to compare, the LBT mold I already had.
Its probably been three years since the last time I've casted some bullets, so I was a little impatient and started trying to cast before the melt got up to temp.. Once everything was up to temp both molds were making good bullets.
Didn't try the .38 caliber mold yet.

Azure Creative arts Electric blue Wood Art

I'm going to make some more tomorrow.

Rectangle Wood Font Brick Metal

Automotive tire Plant Motor vehicle Font Eyewear

1 - 11 of 11 Posts