Went to a Wilson and Nighthawk event last night

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by Green Dragoon, Jul 31, 2020.

1. boatdoc

boatdoc Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2015
    one mor e thing.. IF you want to own a WC or NHC--buy one from our members or sponsors. you get a nice,w ell cared for treat... at a great price. Close to what DW is charging now.

you will not be disappointed.

Cop_Out, blamo, Eric and 6 others like this.
  2. Green Dragoon

Green Dragoon Active Member

May 6, 2020
    I agree...and I know that "costs".

3. Green Dragoon

May 6, 2020
    good tip. Thanks for taking the time.

boatdoc and colrhino like this.
  4. gun_fan111

gun_fan111 Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2014
    Did you get to shoot any of these guns? Pawing something for 2 minutes is a start, but will not give you a full picture. Going back to the car analogy, you need to test drive it.

You also have to take into account that you have familiarity with your guns. If you shot them enough, they should feel “right” and all other new to you guns no matter how well made should feel at least a bit “strange/awkward”.

No way around it - buy one, shoot it for a year, come back to this thread and let us know how you feel.

simonp, blamo, boatdoc and 4 others like this.
  5. Stogies

Stogies One more please!

Aug 22, 2015
    ^^^What he said^^^

colrhino likes this.
  6. Nineteen-ElevenObsession

Nineteen-ElevenObsession Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2020
    Pretty much. Once you shoot one, things change.

This is one reason I'm holding back jumping into CCP. I just know once I get one, I'll be wanting to sell a lot of stuff and it's going to cost me even more in the long run. :):o.o:;):bang::bang::bang::bang:

So obsessed and addicted...I'll eventually relent to the temptation though.

Brennerman and colrhino like this.
  7. Nineteen-ElevenObsession

Jun 21, 2020
    It does indeed. Back in 2008 when I got my first WC, I could have bought a brand new Supergrade for under $3,600. Now it's $5k. I kick myself for not doing it back then. Live and learn.

Green Dragoon and colrhino like this.
  8. Gafanhao

Gafanhao Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Dec 24, 2018
    They both get you to your location b
    For me it was the NH Agent 2. I first started out with 2 WC's but when I got to fondle the Agent 2 at the NRA convention, that made me hooked on 1911's. I used to be a revolver guy first everything else second now I've been buying up NH's and thanks to TRRK trading GI's also. Now I just want one more... looking at you firehawk, but the cost :(

boatdoc, Stogies and colrhino like this.
  9. Green Dragoon

May 6, 2020
    Yes....mentioned that in my first post. I shot three....four mags through each.

Mike0707 likes this.
  10. 340pd

340pd Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2020
    An interesting topic. My LGS has an abundance of new and used upper end 1911's on the floor. Last week I got the 1911 urge again and handled a few pre-owned ones. The DW's ran $1300-$1700 depending on the model and Nighthawks and Wilson $2300-$3000 depending on model. I was handling a DW V-Bob and noticed a near perfect Wilson Stealth and wound up leaving with that gun for about $2000.
    My theory was, buying it used, the Stealth probably was at the lowest price it would ever reach, combine that with the knowledge that all Wilson parts are top notch, and maybe most important, the name Wilson Combat was on the slide.

That said, I found this video from a guy I trust to be very interesting.

colrhino, Cop_Out and boatdoc like this.
  11. Denver1911

Denver1911 Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2014
    I love ‘em all. My favorite shooter is a 2009(I think) CQB in 9mm. Pretty plain except for a gold bead front sight. Problem is my wife has claimed it as hers .. well, I willing gave it to her. I’d rather shoot that than any of my other Wilsons, Nighthawks, or Guncrafters. I may be shopping for another similar gun. Maybe with a round butt and slide top/rear serrations. We’ll see.

As for what I carry .. DW Valkyrie CCO 9mm. Love it!

What I don’t like: Cults.

Green Dragoon likes this.
  12. 7.62Kolectr

7.62Kolectr On guard

Jun 6, 2018
    Seriously here’s the difference.
    I wore my Wilson professional I’ve had for several years 24/7 thru the last hurricane down here. Before for preps, during the storm and afterward for the clean up. When power finally came back I set down to give a good cleaning. Took the grips off and saw rust underneath on the frame. I sent an email to Wilson asking what could be done and how much it would cost. Their response included a pre-paid shipping label and simply said ‘sent it to us. We will take care of it.’
    I can’t speak for DW but for Wilson to bead blast my gun and make it look like new due to my own hard use and sweat corroding it is why I pay more for them. This is just one example I have that is similar to how they go above and beyond the call of normal for people.

Dub, Cop_Out, Gafanhao and 12 others like this.
  13. OldCuz

OldCuz Raleigh NC Supporting Addict

Mar 22, 2020
    Seems like this topic comes up often. High priced 1911's vs. lower priced 1911's. Maybe there needs to be a section in the forum just for this. This debate has been going on for a long time and will continue to.

I remember when I bought my first 1911. A Dan Wesson Kodiak 10mm longslide. It cost me $2,300. Not cheap and it was the most expensive gun I had ever bought at the time. I had started looking at the SA TRP 10mm at first. But after learning more about the build quality from one make to another I decided on the DW. I wasn't dissapointed.

Since then I've bought 2 Nighthawks, 2 more DW's a Guncrafter and have 2 ACW Prime Elites on order. I'm going to order a Volkmann at some point.

To me it's about personal satisfaction. What do I like not what do you like. But I do respect those that do not care for a higher priced 1911. Your money, your choice.

Cop_Out, boatdoc, Lineman1982 and 4 others like this.
  14. 1911 crazed

1911 crazed Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2019
    I bought one CCP now I have four more on order. Buy what you like. We all have different opinions on what it is worth. I do see a difference and I still want them all.

OldCuz and gps man like this.
  15. Nineteen-ElevenObsession

Jun 21, 2020
    Full on Joe guns or WMG's? I just added myself to the contact list for a 9mm WMG single stack. Also considering a PHAT WMG. Just wondering if I really want to pay $1,300 more for 7 additional rounds. lol

1911 crazed likes this.
  16. 1911 crazed

1911 crazed Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2019
    B8443C38-2588-46DF-A8B0-AC10B01C01BC.jpeg
    I miss spoke here are two of CCP’s. One is from the professional series. Night Fighter 2019 and one is a WMG 9. I also have a full custom Commander and two more 2019’s from the professional series on order. They are the Regulator and the Light Fighter. For me it is worth every penny. With the Night Fighter I have shot steel out to 100 yards. It will out shoot me. Just puts a smile on my face every time I shoot it. Hope this helps.

17. boatdoc

Aug 3, 2015
    good pick up

hope you enjoy your toy

blamo likes this.
  18. boatdoc

Aug 3, 2015
    I prefer to buy used here vs a lgs. I know our folks will represent the gun for what it is. and they are NOT basement gunsmithed(unless the seller says so) usually. At least you can ask the owner on the forum about modifications and who did them. In the lgs, it is sold as is

Green Dragoon and OldCuz like this.
  19. blamo

blamo Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2018
    If I'm being honest, if my DWs had a better dehorned thumb safety, a better fit ejector, firing pin stop and beavertail, I would not mess with Nighthawk or Wilson.

Funny enough, lots of folks compare the DWs to Ed Brown, and for me personally, the Browns are the semi-custom I think are worth the premium over DWs. One ridiculous man's opinion, of course. And I am skipping the conversation on pride of ownership, the service you get from NH/Wilson, the options, etc., which are great. YMMV

boatdoc, Lineman1982 and 1911 crazed like this.
  20. Green Dragoon

May 6, 2020
    I have a nice callous from the non-contoured rear of the thumb safety on my DW's. :) The beavertails are great though. I buy in-person and I scrutinize that stuff.

blamo likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted