Went to a Wilson and Nighthawk event last night

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by Green Dragoon, Jul 31, 2020.

1. Fred_G

Fred_G Known Agitator

Dec 29, 2015
    That is why there is more than one flavor of ice cream... I do want to add a Guncrafter, NHC, or Chambers to my small collection.

Green Dragoon and boatdoc like this.
  2. Mark Littleton

Mark Littleton Active Member

Dec 22, 2015
    I’ve got a stainless Vbob and a duty treat CCO. Love my Dan Wessons! But I STILL want an Ed Brown Kobra Carry someday...

HooDoo Man and Old Sea Dragon like this.

3. simonp

simonp Well-Known Member

May 27, 2016
    Wesson’s are great guns, great base guns!

There are nice improvements and refinements when you go from a Wesson to a Nighthawk or a Wilson. Are they for everybody? No.
    Can everyone appreciate the refinements and improvements? No

Has this been debated previously on this forum? Hmmm let me think........ Yes

Pretty sure this will come up again in the next 3 months again ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

4. Green Dragoon

Green Dragoon Active Member

May 6, 2020
    My apologies if this is redundant. If it helps, I disappointed my wife again today too. :)

boatdoc, Austin_TX, simonp and 2 others like this.
  5. OldCuz

OldCuz Raleigh NC Supporting Addict

Mar 22, 2020
    Probably more like 3 weeks. :morning:

No worries. It will happen again, and again and....

boatdoc and Green Dragoon like this.
  6. Jwp

Jwp Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Feb 6, 2019
    :roflmaro: hahahaha! lol

Green Dragoon likes this.
  7. TW85

TW85 Active Member

Jan 23, 2017
    I think Dan Wesson’s are a lot of gun at their price point, especially before their price increases. I was pretty impressed with my DW CCO, and had no issues with it. My Wilsons/Nighthawk/Pro are nicer guns, but also cost a bit more(worth it to me). But I keep eyeing their 9mm commander models, and may cave in sooner than later. Having nicer guns doesn’t keep me from wanting to buy other DWs, but there are so many great deals on semi-custom 1911s right now.

boatdoc, 1911 crazed and Lineman1982 like this.
  8. Baldwin

Baldwin Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2018
    Being late to the party, I only have (so far) two 1911s. The first one I bought is a DW PM9 and then last fall my ACW Prime Elite delivered. Here is the difference between the two guns: When I rack the slide on the PM9 I smile and find myself getting aroused but when I rack the ACW it gives me a full erection.:happy:
    Seriously, I was afraid the PE would ruin it for me with PM9 but it didn't. I pretty much enjoy shooting both equally. Of course being different calibers makes a comparison apples and oranges. But I don't think the fit and finish is hugely different between the two.

9. july19

july19 Womb? Weary? He rests. He has travelled. Supporting Addict

Sep 16, 2013
    Or you could buy a GI.

Gafanhao likes this.
  10. 340pd

340pd Active Member

Jul 29, 2020
    Try before you buy. I am not speaking to the great quality in an Ed Brown, it was the bobtail grip that I thought I would like but found out I shoot a straight grip much better.

Mark Littleton likes this.
  11. puddi_nugget

puddi_nugget Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2014
    I see plenty of differences in Dan Wessons vs WC/NH (upper tier mfg.) - you just need to look a little bit closer at the details. Not saying they aren't great working firearms, but I've been spoiled over time and can't own a DW.

- Crooked frame lines.
    - Undercut looks cheap, like a REMSPORT frame.
    - Almost zero contact on lower lugs/slide stop on samples I've seen/owned
    - I had one sample of a thumb safety that could engage slightly while the hammer was down
    - Thumb safety isn't blended too great
    - The grip safety is "meh" looking

The gen 1 Valor was the best thing they had going for them, and now that is gone. They had that classic "90s" look that was so clean.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted