Wesson Warranty Question

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by snwbrdr202, Apr 13, 2019.

1. snwbrdr202

snwbrdr202 Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2011
    Good morning fellow addicts! I recently sold my Valor to a buddy here on the forum and had immediate sellers remorse. Picked up another one last week (NIB; no blem) and upon getting her home to clean her up I noticed a finish flaw underneath the grip panel (pictured). This did not sit well with my obsessive compulsive side, but then my practical side said “it’s a tool for the toolbox; throw the grip panel back on and man up!” I went to town with FP10 and a blue nylon with no luck. It’s definitely embedded within the finish. Paying what I paid for a new Valor, do you gentlemen think that this is grounds for a warranty repair? I hate to be a fussy bitch, but the pistol is otherwise perfect! Shame to start her service off with an imperfection. Your opinions are appreciated. A78CAB04-9C75-49A1-B47E-A05A38DFEADC.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2019
    isialk likes this.
  2. Dwe

Dwe I'm a terminal 1911 Addict!

Sep 4, 2011
    If you are the original purchaser you should have no problem getting it fixed.

joerockhead likes this.

3. tarosean

tarosean Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2013

own it....

wouldn't bother me at all..

azpoolguy and BR549er like this.
  4. El Perdido

El Perdido Fictional Western Sage

Oct 3, 2011
    Did you buy it to shoot it, or did you buy to display it without the grip?

5. 1911_E1

1911_E1 Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2015
    Yep clouded duty treatment! I’ve seen that many times before! The nitride /duty treat is tough as balls but certain cleaners /oils especially stuff that’s an aerosol can cloud it and ruin it ! If it was my new DW I’d live with it myself but either way it’s an awesome gun !

Steve Owens likes this.
  6. azguy1911

azguy1911 I'm done buying guns, I'm just a bystander now

Oct 22, 2015
    It's "under" the grip what am I missing ?

7. removed

removed Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2015
    @Snwbrdr202 I can appreciate being a bit OCD. With that said, since this is under the grip panel where it is not seen I personally would not worry. As others have said Duty Treat is tough as nails, however the finish of Duty Treat can become clouded with certain cleaning products. This only affects the appears, not the protection Duty Treat provides. With that said, I would put the panel back on and call it day and shoot the snot out of a fine firearm.

Another way of looking at this is this. I would not kick Cindy Crawford out of bed because of that mole on her pretty fact. Sure the mole is considered an imperfection, but it make Cindy who she is, and that is hot.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2019
    limbkiller and 1911_E1 like this.
  8. Jim PHL

Jim PHL Well-Known Member

Jan 26, 2013
    Wouldn’t hurt to contact DW and discuss. If it came from the factory that way there shouldn’t have been any wrong cleaners used between the shop and the dealer to cloud the DT. You may have a concern that there may be some imperfection UNDER the DT. (Though I’d guess this is not likely - it would have been seen before finish.) At the very least shouldn’t it have sold as a “blem”? (We’ve all seen stories of guys getting discounts on blem guns where the imperfection is barely visible and in some cases couldn’t be found at all.) If it should have been marked as a blem and wasn’t they might offer to swap it out for a ‘clean’ one or maybe some other compensation. (Cash back equal to blem discount? A few mags?)

9. tac45

tac45 What me worry ? Supporting Addict

Mar 4, 2012
    Sir , you payed hard earned cash for it , if it has imperfections do not hesitate to have them fix it , it will play with your head as long as you own that pistol.
    You paid perfect cash , you deserve a perfect pistol.
    Damn Czechoslovakians !

isialk and Harleyvato like this.
  10. tc215

tc215 Well-Known Member

May 31, 2015
    That serial number is weird. Is that some kind of special edition Valor?

EDIT: I remember now, the WTU S/N’s were for the special run they did for Kroll.

11. Fred_G

Fred_G Known Agitator

Dec 29, 2015
    As it is under the grip, I don't think it would bother me. But, you paid for a non blem new pistol. If it bothers you now, contact DW and see what they say. Heck, I might be tempted to see if I could get a couple of mags and maybe an ejector and some recoil springs for my 'pain and suffering'... That is, if you could live with the defect.

Right before I posted this, a thought came to me. Unless I got some $ or swag from DW and kept it, I would probably want it fixed, just for resale value. I am sure an Addict would disclose said defect, and I would tend to believe them. But, imagine the listing on GB talking about it being a one owner, non blem gun, with a blem under the grip... I would have no problem buying the gun on this sight at a bit below going price, but would shy away from it on GB as a fishy listing. Not accusing ANYONE of dishonesty here, just thinking out loud about possible issues if you decide to sell it in the future.

snwbrdr202 and Harleyvato like this.
  12. snwbrdr202

snwbrdr202 Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2011
    I appreciate your replies gents. I won’t be disappointed either way, but I’ll send an email and see what they say.

13. removed

Aug 22, 2015
    @tac45 - I will only take 25% offence to your post, as I am 25% Czech. The other 75% agrees with your point.

tac45 likes this.
  14. Hunt5877

Hunt5877 Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Jan 27, 2019
    I get the under the grip argument and the if it was mine I wouldn't worry about it but I paid new, I'd want new and unmolested. I'd contact DW if it was my pistol, also interested in the serial number.

15. tac45

Mar 4, 2012
    No offense ment my friend, you are an American right. ?
    Just poking fun at their parent co.—not yours. :roflmaro:

ImperialBlade and Fred_G like this.
  16. Fred_G

Fred_G Known Agitator

Dec 29, 2015
    I get it now Tac45! I forgot about CA owning DW.. :)

tac45 likes this.
  17. removed

Aug 22, 2015
    @tac45 - It's all good! I am a "mutt", 25% Czech, 25% Slovanian, 25% Irish and 25% Italian. Great mix huh! I guess I like to eat and drink in both quantity and quality, not to mention love firearms. However, I am still and always will be 100% AMERICAN, and that's all that matters!

Old Sea Dragon and tac45 like this.
  18. azpoolguy

azpoolguy Well-Known Member

Jul 4, 2013
    Got to love that “tough as nails” finish. :o.o::o.o::o.o::o.o:

19. tac45

Mar 4, 2012
    CZ . California division. ? That would make it truly foreign :sick2:

ZoidMeister and Fred_G like this.
  20. Integrity Arms

Integrity Arms 1911 Pistol Smith

Mar 20, 2017
    There is away to blend that back in, but it's an ancient Chinese secret and I agree with AZpoolguy tough as nails finish my @$$ I have grown to hate this finish more and more on any gun I own.. Have actually considered selling off some really good shooters because of this finish.. I want to be able to clean my gun not handle it with kids gloves.. As much as I Love Dan Wessons, I'd really like to see them change their Duty Treat Finish to something a bit more practical.. There is a way to get the cloudiness out with heat and WD 40 or some other type of oil. CLP etc, but you run the risk of lightening the whole finish in the process to even it all back out. As the only way to completely remove and get back to 1000% normal is to have the entire frame re-done which means another heavy heat treating process, you can only heat and cool down metal so many times before it gets brittle..

k38 and BigJimP like this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted