1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all.
I need a couple suggestions guys and gals. I have a Beretta 92 Compact L type that I’d like to try carrying. I’ve never carried it. Before I can try it out I need to pick up a holster. Right now I’d like to try a kydex. I’m not sure whether to go IWB or OWB.

I don’t need the Cadillac of holsters just a good, functional holster that I can try for a bit and see how I like it with this pistol. If I don’t like it, I can sell it and try another style until I find out what I like with this pistol.

I also don’t mind used holsters as long as they’re decent.

Any help you can give me will be appreciated.
Thank you all for your time.
Larry

·
Cranky old curmudgeon
1,336 Posts
Vedder Light Tuck, Barrett Silent Thunder. Either are good to go. Both are IWB, I only have leather for OWB.

·
Premium Member
1,649 Posts
There is about a million folks making Kydex holsters. I have several different brands and honestly they are all about the same in quality. There is more difference between models offered than the companies that make them.
I like Dara holsters, also Com-Tac. Those Concealment Express are probably the least expensive, less options but they'll carry a gun.

https://www.daraholsters.com/
https://comp-tac.com/

·
Registered
818 Posts
I’m a fan of JM Custom Kydex. Tony makes a great product and always available if you have a question about their holsters. IWB or OWB they are my go to Kydex holsters company.

·
High Power Fan
59 Posts
I have a Vedder Light Tuck IWB for my High Power. Very comfortable and minimalist. They even did some custom work on it which many shops will not do.

I became a fan (again) of handcrafted leather and discovered I prefer OWB. The Privateer Leather Cutlass is my preferred IWB holster and the Corsair is my favorite Privateer OWB model.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I saw a thread on the Privateer leather holsters on another forum site for 1911 lovers and boy that guy makes some gorgeous holsters in a variety of colors.

I need to check out these holsters you all mentioned and some others. I’m trying my best to avoid having a “Holster Drawer” but I feel like it’s a futile exercise and it cannot be stopped.

·
Registered
5,968 Posts
Another light tuck fan. I usually tuck my shirt in for work though. Have em for a few different guns. Go with the belt loops and the claw attachment, depending on how you intend to use it. Liked the clip until (I know it was my fault, but still) gun came out with the holster on it in a class. Now I'm glad I ordered it with the belt loops as well.

·
Registered
91 Posts
If you are interested in appendix carry, I can recommend the precision holsters ultra appendix. I had to modify mine, I drilled new holes in the clips to raise the gun as high as possible, attached a leather sweat guard, and used velcro strips to attach a foam wedge at the muzzle end. It has taken me a long time to warm up to appendix carry; I still switch between this and my alien gear hybrid iwb and my Clinger Stingray (modified with belt loops).

·
Premium Member
1,013 Posts
After several decades of buying holsters, I now have 3 paper grocery bags full. Right now I am using a "We The People" kydex IWB for EDC of my 38 Super Commander. For my use, the quick and easy on and off is a big plus.
Also, the adjustable cant AKA rake, is another big plus for me.

https://wethepeopleholsters.com/

·
On The Lost Highway
283 Posts
I could give a nod to several holsters already mentioned but let me think outside of the box here for a minute.

The Beretta 92 Compact is a swell Da/Sa pistol with a long/heavy DA trigger pull, decocker and a manual safety.
That just means that it is a very good pistol to begin with. The 9mm round is soft recoil and the Compact still being a full sized metal pistol will just make for an accurate weapon that you will enjoy shooting.

Instead of doing what we all did, trial and error, why don't you try putting the horse before the cart on this exercise. See, CCW will be a new experience and even the very best of holsters for me might not be a "fit" for you.

I would suggest carrying the pistol around in your waistband for a few days. See where it's comfortable to wear and still move about unencumbered. You might just learn that IWB is not going to work out well for you because of the cut or style of your clothing.

I'm not nervous about carrying a Beretta or a 1911without a holster but I understand that others are. Believe me, I would NEVER carry a striker pistol, even if it was in a holster that covered the trigger. I only own revolvers, 1911s, and a few other miscellaneous hammer fired pistols. I mention this only to add that if you are uncomfortable carrying the loaded Beretta in your waistband, simply unload it and carry it around empty. Just spend some quality time carrying it around before you invest in your first holster.

·
Womb? Weary? He rests. He has travelled.
4,981 Posts
After several decades of buying holsters, I now have 3 paper grocery bags full. Right now I am using a "We The People" kydex IWB for EDC of my 38 Super Commander. For my use, the quick and easy on and off is a big plus.
Also, the adjustable cant AKA rake, is another big plus for me.

https://wethepeopleholsters.com/
Are they cheaper by the bag full?:)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts