1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I officially have shot the furthest I’ve ever shot before. I’m curious as to everybody else’s furthest shot they’ve taken and hit?

Yesterday some friends and I went out and shot a target that was 2280 yards away, that’s 1.295 miles away. Was hitting in consistently even with the crazy winds here in Wyoming. We were using a .300 Lapua Norma rifle setup. The second shot I hit the target and took 3 more dead on it.

We would have went further but weather changed and started snowing heavy on us whiting out our glass.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
880 yards measured pasture. 4 ft iron pipe sticking out of the culvert with a 12" white circle painted on it. 45-70 and 38-55 Marlin lever guns. Great Sunday after church fun at the ranch in TX.
Nice shooting with the Lapua

·
Dremel jockey
4,017 Posts
Years ago in the very remote areas of Arizona, we fired long range 556 (M856) tracer at the moon.
246,000 miles, IIRC?
I think those tracers burn to almost 1000 yds.
The goal was to have the tracer 'wink out' as it was superimposed on the moon.
Looked like a hit!

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Alright time for the details, so the 6.5 CM is my build but just sold it so took off the nice barrel buddy didn’t want that.

So it’s a Ruger action, with their 22” barrel, stock trigger just adjusted down, and aftermarket bolt knob. For the good stuff it’s fitted with a 3 slot self timing break, fitted in an MDT chassis, and has a PRS stock on it. Glass is the Vortex Viper PST LR 6-24X50 FFP.

This setup was hitting out to 1500 yards consistently. Once we tried for the 2800 yards we only heard impacts couldn’t actually verify it hitting the target.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Now my friends Lapua setup I don’t know a whole lot about, that’s the one hitting and able to verify at 2800 yards.

He has a recipe for his hand loads. He won’t go into detail about that secret but here is what I can tell ya with out asking him:

It’s a custom action don’t know which brand he went with. He has the carbon fiber Proof Research barrel. He has it fitted in a chassis system with a fancy trigger as well that was adjusted down to 1lb (if that). Of course he has the Atlas bipods and those spikes worked great in the mud.

He went all out with a Nightforce glass, after getting behind his and then going to my setup I called my glass a third world country.

Sorry for the not so helpful setup info. I will have to ask him for the details and report back.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts