1911 Firearm Addicts banner

221 - 240 of 246 Posts

·
Every day is Saturday and every night's a party!
6,915 Posts

·
Every day is Saturday and every night's a party!
6,915 Posts
I probably posted this one earlier in the thread but I've been carrying this custom .38spl/9mm S&W 360J convertible regularly for almost 13 years. It's a great little gun, Mark Hartshorne did all the work on it, it sees more carry time than any other revolver I own. It has the Ti .38 cylinder in it in these pics.

·
Registered
171 Posts
My 3" SP -101
It had a hammer spur originally but I bobbed it and welded it to add a bit of mass to make up for what was removed.
I still need to do some detail work on that before it will be complete.

Last weekend I was chrono'ing some stout loads and I got 1500 fps using 12 gr of 800X under a 125 gr bullet.
I'm not sure whether I believe my chrono so I'm going to see if I can duplicate that.
I don't recommend that for anything but a very durable gun
IMG_20210325_112102.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,060 Posts
800 X behind a 125 grain bullet seems to be bested only by the old DuPont SR 4756. The velocities that you got with the 800 X are believable.
For info, on the next hammer that you bob if you do not add any weight back you will have a harder hammer strike.
The hammer will move faster and the impact energy goes up as the square of the velocity.
For example, in our Red Hawk bowling pin guns we normally reduce the weight of the hammer by one half. Granted the primer of choice is the Federal Large Pistol which has a very soft cup but when they aren’t available the light hammer sets off other ones about as well as long as they are hard seated.

·
Registered
171 Posts
That's interesting
I went shopping for powder last spring, hoping to find some Blue Dot but settled for 800X, because it was all they had in stock... never having tried it
If I'd read how guys bash it because of bad metering, I probably wouldn't have bought it.

I tried some .38 special loads with 10 gr which is 100% filled and I got .357 velocity out of a 3" barrel and slight over pressure indications with primers somewhat spread out.
Those were 10 gr with a std primer and a 125 gr bullet = 1220 fps which was faster than a .357 case with the same amount of powder.
I'd use that in a K frame but I wouldn't do it in a J frame
So - Yeah - I'm glad I found 800X

800 X behind a 125 grain bullet seems to be bested only by the old DuPont SR 4756. The velocities that you got with the 800 X are believable.
For info, on the next hammer that you bob if you do not add any weight back you will have a harder hammer strike.
The hammer will move faster and the impact energy goes up as the square of the velocity.
For example, in our Red Hawk bowling pin guns we normally reduce the weight of the hammer by one half. Granted the primer of choice is the Federal Large Pistol which has a very soft cup but when they aren’t available the light hammer sets off other ones about as well as long as they are hard seated.
Thanks for the useful info

221 - 240 of 246 Posts