What’s your opinion of the CANIK TP9 Elite SC ???

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by Nalajr, Oct 29, 2020.

1. Nalajr

Nalajr Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2015
    Hey all.
    I’ve read about this pistol a few times but never had the chance to handle and look at one until about 8 hours ago at my local shop.

It’s made in Turkey and imported by Century Arms I believe. It’s a Sub-Compact that holds 12+1. It also has the cuts to accept red dot sights. It has lots going for it for sure including the price. I’m guessing if you look hard you could find them in the $375-400 range. My shop had it at $419 and they are high on everything.

The only thing is that it hasn’t been out that long where it has a history...or not that long of one.

I’m curious about this pistol and would like to know what you all think of it. Does anyone own and carry one? Would you?

Any info is appreciated.
    Here’s a link to the page so you can check it out if you’re not familiar with it.
    https://www.canikusa.com/tp9-elite-sc

Thanks for your time.

2. CoalCracker.

CoalCracker. Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2020
    I have a TP9SF. And the TP9SFX. And a Tri-star C-100. Made by Canik. Im very satisfied with them. Never had a problem with them. Great triggers on them. The best in a striker fired i ever tried. The C-100 is hammer fired. Yes i would carry one. The elite is on my bucket list.

3. random84

random84 Well-Known Member

May 4, 2020
    If they weren't made by dirty turks, I'd own one. Never heard anything bad about them and priced well.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

4. razorseal

razorseal Active Member

Oct 26, 2020
    I have one. Great pistol. The trigger is one of best striker fired pistols besides the tp9sfx I also own. Its a little heavier than your similar glock.

I'm a lefty, so ambi controls is very beneficial to me as well. Capacity is good too. It falls between a g26 and a g19.

I carry it and depend my life with it. I had a lot of issues in the beginning with slidenever locking... I then realized because I'm not used to a large slide release that my thumb was always riding it... so I had to reteach myself the keep my thumbs away. I did have to shoot around 100 rounds to get the slide to move little better (I had few times where slide didn't lockup) i've had no problems since.

Its also very accurate. They are ISO 9001 or 9002 certified so it's held to certain quality standards set by Europe. 20200503_204513.jpg 20200525_092311.jpg

Sent from my SM-F916U using Tapatalk

CoalCracker. likes this.
  5. razorseal

razorseal Active Member

Oct 26, 2020
    I'm Turkish. Don't call them all dirty. Lol.

random84 likes this.
  6. Crewchief

Crewchief Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Sep 7, 2017
    IMG_2284.jpeg

Well, this is my EDC if it tells you what I think of Caniks. Echoing @CoalCracker about the trigger. Easily the best striker-fired trigger I've ever had. It's even better than the VP9 and PPQ in my opinion. Very high build quality (although my ECE is the top of the line and had a bunch of extra internal polishing and suchlike done at the factory). I also have a Sig Romeo 1 mounted on it.

The only downside to this particular firearm is that it's proven finicky about its ammunition to at least a certain extent. As far as I know, all modern Caniks come with flat recoil springs, and they're pretty durned stiff. The one that came with my Elite Combat Executive was stiff enough that it has failures to fully return to battery about one out of every 50 rounds with standard-power 115 gr. loads. It looks like the spring is so stout that it kind of short-strokes the ejection cycle and it doesn't quite have enough momentum going forward to completely return to battery. The symptom is that it will stop about 1/8" short of completely locking up. This is even more annoying because that's far enough forward for the striker to engage with the striker release. So, if you're shooting 115 gr. standard pressure, you'll be trucking along having fun, and about 1 round out of 50, you'll get a click when you pull the trigger, and then the slide will finish closing. Since it doesn't have restrike, failure remediation is just to rack the slide and go back to work.

However, that's only with 115gr. standard pressure ammo. 115 gr +P or anything heavier than 124 gr. in standard pressure? It'll eat it all day like Skittles. And since my standard target handload is 147 gr. FMJ conical flat tips, I've not had an issue with anything other than store-bought ammo.

CoalCracker. likes this.
  7. Nalajr

Nalajr Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2015
    Thanks all.

When I was living in Houston one of the main sporting goods store is Academy Sports. They’re all over the place. Nice selection of handguns too. They happened to stock the Canik pistols, especially the C-100 and T-100. The C100 was a tad over $300. I handled it several times and I liked it so I thought I’d go get it.

My local academy sports told me the only one they had left was the demo in the case that had prolly been handled 10,000 times. I said if they’d discount it for being a store model I’d take it. They adamantly refused. I asked them to see if any other stores had them in stock and there wasn’t any other Academy in the Houston area that had one in stock. I found out that they were no longer gonna carry that series of pistols. I might’ve known right as I decided to get one, they would no longer be carrying them.
    So I left without my CZ compact clone.

Id still like to have one if the CZ75 PCR pistols or the C100. I might end up going the other way though and go with the sub-compact pictured here with the red dot. Nice pistol for sure.

8. razorseal

razorseal Active Member

Oct 26, 2020
    Its a good pistol. Prefer it over glocks. I carry it often, but always revert back to p365 because it carries so well

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted