1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all.
I was loading around on YouTube watching different gun and hunting videos when I came upon a review video with a title something like “WW2 1911A1 Replica for $320”! I thought WHOA, I gotta see what this is about.

It turns out it’s a video on the Tisas 1911a1 replica of the pistols issued to our troops in WW2....or at least a close resemblance. This guy showed it off and talked about it. I was really kinda shocked. I have never seen a new 1911 that sold for what this one is selling for. The reviewer loved his and said it was well worth the price he paid. Granted, it’s not going to win any beauty contests, but it looked perfectly fine and functional. I have been reading a bit as of late about the Tisas made pistols and how they are of respectable quality. They come from Turkey.

I started looking on GB to verify the claims and I found several other Tisas 1911 models in addition to the WW2 replica. There looks to be 6-8 different models going for about $375 to about $525 or so.

I then started thinking about other low cost 1911’s and what all is out there. I know the basic Remington is always listed at around $500. I think the base Springfield is not much more. Auto Ordinance makes one too. I also believe there’s a brand AMERICAN Classic or some such. It’s imported by the same place that brings in the Bersa pistols. I can’t think of others, but I know they’re out there.

So, it looks like the 1911 is being made available to those on a tight budget or don’t want to spend a lot of money on one to try and see if they like them. Several companies testing the waters. I hope there’s more to come and the quality gets better and better.

Do any of you own one of these “entry” model or low cost 1911’s? If so, which one did you go with and why? If you are looking to possibly get one, which one would you like to have most?
What company in your mind makes the best bargain 1911? What about the best WWI or WWII replica 1911a1?

I’d like to hear what you think of these 1911’s and if you have any pics of yours....please post them so we too can see them.
Thanks all.

·
Deo Volente
7,101 Posts
I would go for a Rock Island Arsenal, (RIA). I have one right now that seems pretty well made, although I haven't had a chance to shoot it. Bought it as a project gun as recommended by many Addicts. https://armscor.com/firearms/ria/gi-series/

·
Professional Pest, NRA Patron member
2,618 Posts
RIA is one of the less expensive 1911's out there and is perhaps the best bang for the buck available. If needed, their customer service is top notch. They obviously aren't a SA, DW, LB or the like but for the price they're a idea.

·
Premium Member
2,067 Posts
I have a Tisa 20 guage side by side in my living room. Belongs to a friend, he wants to move it. I'm thinking 18.5" barrels and a new front bead. Name it JOE

Sorry, it's not a Tisa, it's a Yildiz...they all look alike LOL

·
Premium Member
4,814 Posts
My first .38 super was RIA. $4XX to see what .38 sup. was all about.... Into them about a ton of $$$$s now. I also bought a RIA .45 as my first take down to frame gun... in case I couldn't get it back together. Both have moved on and are being shot frequently.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I don’t understand the fascination with the cheap imports. A Springfield can be had for less than $500 shipped.

American made
Lifetime warranty
Quality steel
The holes will be in all the right places
Resale

I don’t know if this applies to current RIA guns but there was a time when Barsto would not even fit a barrel to them.

D24FA8BB-B66C-454C-8412-A2A705609EBE.png

·
Every day is Saturday and every night's a party!
6,579 Posts
I bought Springfield Mil-Spec Defender for under $500. Comes with one magazine. American made. Quality internals.
thought these were coming from Brazil?
The Springfield Defender Mil-Specs are the best 1911 deal going right now. Forged frames and slides, well built, and great shooters, I picked one up off gunbroker for $450 last year and it was an absolute bargain.

ACP- Springfield 1911s have been all American for several years now.

·
resident crank
1,979 Posts
I don’t understand the fascination with the cheap imports. A Springfield can be had for less than $500 shipped.

American made
Lifetime warranty
Quality steel
The holes will be in all the right places
Resale

I don’t know if this applies to current RIA guns but there was a time when Barsto would not even fit a barrel to them.

View attachment 459633
I’ve had Wilson and RIA and all in between. The recent RIA ran as well as any of them, and I run them all in matches. Just not as pretty.

·
Cranky old curmudgeon
1,327 Posts
All of my budget/value priced 1911's have been sent on down the road. They all worked. Some I put a bit into to see what options I like or dislike. I think I know what I want now, and the budget/value priced guns just don't have it. Spend 3 times more on a Dan Wesson and you are 90% there. With the cost of parts, you are money ahead. Then, IF, and I mean IF you need to sell it for any reason, you'll get most of your money back out of it.
Given the choice between a Tisas and RIA? RIA on any day that ends in Y.

·
Premium Member
1,009 Posts
I’d like to hear what you think of these 1911’s .
My time here is limited and I won't waste money or time on substandard dreck when I can afford quality.

·
Avatar is back to my favorite things!
9,776 Posts
I have a RIA mostly because no one else makes a 1911 pistol in 22tcm although it is a double stack.
Also had an ATI I purchased for $359 or something like that. Did my own machining on it and had Steve O finish it up and do all the internal work and I gave it to my son for his 30th birthday this year. His first 1911, it’s not a high priced one but one that I worked on so I hope that means something to him. He’ll get my Nighthawks, Guncrafters, Wilson’s, Baers, Browns etc when I die:eek:.o: but I personally hope the ATI will always mean more to him!
1A8AD1F1-E5E1-4F8C-8A9C-EBC8F18232C7.jpeg

E4365E39-8C1C-4219-A7C8-623121981787.jpeg

1 - 20 of 93 Posts