What 1911's are available in 357 sig?

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by Addicted2gunz, Dec 28, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Addicted2gunz

Addicted2gunz Undecided on whether or not I'm indecisive... Supporting Addict

Jul 14, 2018
    Hey guys. I know some may think I'm crazy, but I love 357 sig. I have my 5" Sig Sauer Nightmare Fastback and a Glock 32, but who other than Sig offers a 1911 in 357 sig??

2. Wheels No More

Wheels No More Long gone

May 12, 2015
    I was going to say sig.
    There may be others but that's the only one I know of.

FWoo45 likes this.

3. Addicted2gunz

Jul 14, 2018
    Me too lol. Dang it...

4. Addicted2gunz

Jul 14, 2018
    I have 3000 rounds sitting here to use up hahaha I got a sweet deal on some law enforcement trade in Speer so I bought 3 cases!

WHEELS likes this.
  5. Raylan Givens

Raylan Givens Never Forget

Aug 18, 2015
    I'll give you $200 for it if you don't find your answer.

WC145 likes this.
  6. fieldgrade

fieldgrade resident crank

Mar 13, 2017
    I run and hide my ears whenever someone runs that round in my squad at a match.

Sell it to Raylan. ^^^^

HOTCHKIS and WHEELS like this.
  7. Addicted2gunz

Jul 14, 2018
    Lol that's a generous offer, but I will still use it in the 2 guns I have chambered in it.

8. tac45

tac45 What me worry ? Supporting Addict

Mar 4, 2012
    357sig is a great round , but I’d buy a Sig to use it in .
    Carried that combo during my working years ,never failed to do its job very effectively.

9. RatBikeRod

RatBikeRod You Don’t Know Me!

Nov 22, 2017
    I am a pretty hard core SIG guy, and had a Nightmare in SIG 357 for a time. Really fantastic shooter, but I did not like the fact that the SIG 1911 slide kills what 1911’s are all about, nice and narrow. They put that thick top SIG slide on it.

Anyhow, I don’t know of anyone else that makes it in a 1911 platform. Much like the 9mm, you are putting a short round in a gun not made for it. I think SIG did it right by making the slide fit the round.

Anyhow, like you I have a ton of SIG 357 brass and bullets but tend to shoot my 9’s more these days. Still have a slide and barrel for my P320 that for it if my trend changes.

Good luck and let us know if you find a proper 1911 in SIG 357.

Addicted2gunz likes this.
  10. Addicted2gunz

Jul 14, 2018
    I agree with you about the Sig design, that's why I was hoping there was something else out there! I do have to say that the Sig 1911 is extremely accurate!

11. RatBikeRod

Nov 22, 2017
    Yep, mine was as well. I do miss it.

12. Patrick Taylor

Patrick Taylor Yes, I own a dremel tool.

Nov 7, 2011
    I have a Delta Elite with a 357 barrel in it. Started shooting the 357 when brass was very cheap and it could be loaded cheaper than most other calibers.

Now days the brass is not as common or cheap and I do not shoot much of it.

WC145 and FWoo45 like this.
  13. Addicted2gunz

Jul 14, 2018
    Well dang, I just sold a Delta Elite lol

14. RatBikeRod

Nov 22, 2017
    How much modification was needed to make that work?

15. jaydoc

jaydoc i'm riding a turtle!

Aug 10, 2012
    Not a 1911 but I’m in line to have Don Williams build me a BHP in .357 Sig.
    Starting with a .40S&W base gun.

16. RatBikeRod

Nov 22, 2017
    Yea, actually, if you begin with a 40 you should be able to do a pretty easy conversion.

I am torn right now. Being that I sold off a majority of my guns during this period of being jobless (hopefully I am starting a new job in a few weeks, YES!), I have been considering what I want to replenish.

I am leaning heavily toward doing a 9mm conversion of a Dan Wesson Vigil to 38 Super. However, I sure have a lot of SIG 357 brass....

Also, as I get older and am going through a bit of a minimilist phase I am thinking about how to hone down my components. If I could get to where I could use the same 124gr projectile for reloading 9mm, Sig 357 and 38 Super that would be fantastic. Even if I did not get down to a single projectile, the lure of only looking for one type of bullet in various weights is attractive and having those three rounds would pretty much fit every bill I had from a shooting standpoint.

Marry that up with the fact that I also shoot 357 Magnum lever guns and well, all I am ever looking for deals on is, effectively, 38 bullets.

Now, being that I have just been thinking this during my joblessness and having never written it out and seeing it here.... really makes me want to do it more...

wcanterbury, Whiten and Addicted2gunz like this.
  17. Patrick Taylor

Nov 7, 2011
    Installed the barrel and went with a lighter recoil spring.

wcanterbury likes this.
  18. Patrick Taylor

Nov 7, 2011
    If your shooting the 357sig in a 1911 the longer profile ( compared to the 357 bullets ) 9mm bullets work well. The extra length helps just like loading .40s a little longer in a 1911. Winchester 124gr FMJ are probably the most reliable feeding load I have for my 357 Delta.

wcanterbury likes this.
  19. FNFAN

FNFAN Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

May 15, 2013
    I think the Hi Power is a much better host for 357SIG than a 1911. I remember one of the Wilson reps responding that they could never get it to run reliably in a 1911 so they never offered it.

wcanterbury likes this.
  20. Mike0251

Mike0251 Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Mar 25, 2016
    At the indoor range I attend occasionally the Federal air marshals train there regularly. They all use .357 SIG! There is always a 5 gallon bucket full of brass after the range crew cleans up behind them. What is also interesting is the range folks told me when they sweep all this up there is quite a bit of un-burnt propellant out on the floor as well due to the short barrels. I did ask why they used .357 SIG and was told mainly for penetration so the round will go thru an airline seat. Interesting things you come across at the range.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted