1911 Firearm Addicts banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

· Registered
713 Posts
Win ranger 230 standard pressure and 230 gold dot standard pressure. There is nothing gained with +p 230gr 45acp ammo, the extra 50fps comes with extra abuse to pistol and shooter and 50fps isn't going to do much of anything to enhance modern bullet performance. That said, I still have some 185+p golden saber bonded that I bought 500 when sg ammo was blowing them out 4z5yrs ago. Those things are like bombs going off and usually run 1200ish from a commander barrel.

· Registered
4,818 Posts
I have 230gr. HST in my gun and in my second magazine I have Winchester 230gr. T-Series Ranger.

Whether there is validity to it or not, I view the Ranger as a "tougher" bullet and if I'm reloading I may need just that. If my backup magazine held more HST's or 230gr. FMJ I don't doubt that I would be just fine.

· Banned
148 Posts
I'm a fan of Hornady, Federal, and Speer. I carry any of the following with confidence:
Hornady Critical Defense 185gr. FTX
Hornady Critical Duty 220gr. +P (you can use this too, since it's intended for full-sized/service guns such as your G21)
Federal HST 230gr regular or +P.
Speer GDHP 185gr.

All feed flawlessly and shoot well in my XD-45 Tactical. I've never used any of them for anything but practice (thankfully, I might add), so I can only rely on ballistics numbers and, to a degree, marketing to help make my decision.

· Registered
713 Posts
I'm a fan of Hornady, Federal, and Speer. I carry any of the following with confidence:
Hornady Critical Duty 220gr. +P (you can use this too, since it's intended for full-sized/service guns such as your G21)
Speer GDHP 185gr.

All feed flawlessly and shoot well in my XD-45 Tactical. I've never used any of them for anything but practice (thankfully, I might add), so I can only rely on ballistics numbers and, to a degree, marketing to help make my decision.
Can't offer an opinion on the others, but I can tell you, from experience on medium-size game, that the HST bullets perform EXACTLY as advertised. That expanded flower is like a freakin work of art - in spite of tough hides, bone, muscle, etc. I'm a believer. :cool: (y)

· Registered
Bul Armory 45 acp SAS 1911
8 Posts
Speer GDHP 185gr.

With you on all three of those. Not crazy bout the 185 CD-FTX but will use it if the need arises. Otherwise I like your choices along with everyone elses. But as with all things in the gun business, it's not about the tools, but how you use them. Shot placement is everything IMHO. Keep you guns clean and loaded, but most of all know how to shoot them well.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts