What are the advantages?

Discussion in '1911 Gunsmithing' started by ORShooter, Feb 15, 2019.

1. ORShooter

ORShooter Just outsided the realm of Crazy!

Nov 28, 2018
    Of flush cutting and reverse crowning a barrel? I like the looks but, was wondering if there are any advantages to doing this?

2. azguy1911

azguy1911 I'm done buying guns, I'm just a bystander now

Oct 22, 2015
    most people agree it's more aesthetically pleasing, especially on a bushingless gun

WC-2.jpg

3. Slapshot

Slapshot Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2017
    It’s my understanding that it’s just for looks. I believe it actually has a negative affect on accuracy.

samuse, ZoidMeister and wrmiller like this.
  4. B81

B81 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2018
    In theory, it protects the crown of the barrel from dings. Accuracy can be compromised if the seal around bullet doesn't break evenly when it leaves the barrel. Ideally, you want the crown to be kept nice an even.

But it is also aesthetically pleasing.

simonp, UBOATDOC, isialk and 6 others like this.
  5. ORShooter

ORShooter Just outsided the realm of Crazy!

Nov 28, 2018
    Ok, thanks for the explanation. I do like the looks of it!

6. B81

B81 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2018
    isialk, Colorado Sonny and ORShooter like this.
  7. FullySupported

FullySupported Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2019
    Certainly, all the people you point it at will enjoy the view more.

UBOATDOC, bobo3020 and Mike Meints like this.
  8. wrmiller

wrmiller The Tinker

Oct 29, 2016
    More and more pistolsmiths are doing more and fancier features to differentiate themselves from each other. It's a tough business they're in.

This is another reason I have no wish to do this for a living.

Mike Meints and ORShooter like this.
  9. DWdude

DWdude Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2019
    I like the flush cuts but not the big scooped out crown look. I think I read years ago 10' -15' was about the most crown for accuracy.

Journeyman1234, gaijin and ORShooter like this.
  10. Renegade4006

Renegade4006 Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2018
    Very timely post. I was doing some research on this very subject a few days ago. I have a couple of pistols that I would like to have modified with the flush cut and reverse crown. For me it looks good but I did not know about the possible degradation in accuracy.

Looking forward to seeing more data on the subject.

11. wrmiller

wrmiller The Tinker

Oct 29, 2016
    I like a recessed crown to protect the bore, but I prefer a recessed flat next to the barrel's bore that is as close to absolutely perpendicular to bore axis as I can get with my machines (usually a few tenths). This is difficult to do on a bushing style barrel without a specially ground tool, but it can be done on a bull type barrel easily enough.

UBOATDOC, gaijin and B81 like this.
  12. samuse

samuse Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2013
    It looks terrible to me.

Especially if the bushing isn't tapered since the barrel doesn't sit square in it.

A deep crown is detrimental to accuracy.

A recessed floorboard on a 9mm bull barrel is something I haven't seen done yet...

13. JNW

JNW Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2017
    Pretty much just for looks. It’s effect on accuracy will most likely depend on how well it’s done. I don’t know of any bullseye gunsmiths who do this modification, and their main concern is accuracy.
    Jeff

wrmiller likes this.
  14. EvolutionArmory

EvolutionArmory Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2011
    It isn’t just for looks.

Any time you precision machine a crown, it’s going to have a positive affect on accuracy if the existing crown isn’t great to begin with.

What isn’t very important on a 4 or 5 inch pistol barrel is the angle you choose to crown it.

FWoo45, B81 and BennyAdeline like this.
  15. tarosean

tarosean Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2013

Now look at all the rifle manufactures that do...

16. JNW

JNW Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2017
    I’ve appreciated the discussion in this thread and want to thank ORShooter for bringing this topic up. I’ve done a bit of Internet study on barrel crowns and rifle accuracy and it seems that the evenness and quality of the crown is, overall, more important than the actual shape or angle of the cut. Tradition and consumer expectation seem to dictate the shape of the crown as much or more than factual evidence as to the superiority of one shape vs. another.
    I must say I do like the look of a flush cut reverse crown bushingless barrel and feel the need to add one to my safe.
    Jeff

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted