1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I have been working on a 4.25" Commander for the past year off and on when time permits.
It started as a Foster Blem frame cut to Commander specs by Caspian and a slide and barrel in 45 Auto from Remsport.
The other parts were EGW, Colt, Wilson Combat, Ed Brown, ect.
All pretty good parts.
I checkered the frame, machined, ball cuts,french cuts, beveled bottom of slide, dehorned, ect.
All the parts were hand fitted and prepped.
Took the pistol out yesterday and ran 100 rds through it.
No FTE, FTF, slide locks back everytime.
Did the extraction test where a round is loaded with mag, mag is dropped and round is fired.
Round ejects same as when mag is in.
Casings ejecting about 0300 at a 25 degree angle up and lands about 5' away.
I'm left handed so that is good to me.
All of that to ask, what quality of 1911 are we building?
Meaning the serious hobbyiest or part time maker?
I'm building this Commander because I want a steel frame not alloy and I want a 70 series not 80.
So, where would you rate a well made home shop 1911 using good well made modern parts?
Please don't derail this with the wore out barstock vs MIM parts.
Just wondering where these pistols fit in the scheme of things compared to other 1911 out there for sale???

·
Make it a double
17,034 Posts
It’s hard to value a gun like that. Likely, it has more sentimental value that monetary value. If a person could give it a good inspection and test run you’d probably do okay. Maybe around the prices for factory Colts. Unfortunately home builds scare a lot of folks. Just my opinion. I could be wrong. Good luck with whatever you choose to do.

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Hi,
Thanks, I'm not really choosing to do anything...
Just started wondering where these home built pistols with name brand parts, stand in cue?
I built my pistol for a number of reasons, mostly as I could not buy a commercially made pistol that checked all the boxes!

·
Christ is my front sight.
825 Posts
Well, as a hobby builder myself I've pondered this question as well. Truthfully you've built a nice 1911! Better than a factory gun for sure! The one thing that's missing of course is a name. You may produce a fantastically built 1911 with all the parameters tight and solid, with your aesthetic qualities spot on and it's still not going to be worth much more than the value of the gun before you touched it. Mainly because you are not a professional gunsmith and one with a name of some renown. That's just the way it is I'm afraid. I've pursued the knowledge and have had a great time, all for the love of the platform and maybe one day I'll hang out a shingle but who knows. Either way, enjoy your gun and the satisfaction earned from your hard work!

·
Premium Member
8,151 Posts
I have self built 5 so far and am starting #6 when the frame and slide arrive. I don't plan on selling them as I'm sure "home builds" in general, have a less than a great reputation. Mrs. C. & I enjoy shooting them and find them more peasant to the eye than most of the bajillion low cost production run guns. Some of those who shoot with us and have handled & shot them know that quality parts are used and workmanship in form & function are good. I doubt that I could even get parts cost for them because I don't use cheap parts. My time invested is done because I choose to.
Sorry I didn't answer the OP question.

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi,
Well...I'm not making pistols for money but sometimes you will sale one project to finance a newer one?
I have a LGS that take consignments for 20% and I guess you can put any price you want within reason.
The reason this came up is, the pistol I built and shot for the first time yesterday, felt so good and worked so well...
I just asked myself, what did I just do, with all the attention to detail and taking the time to do a good job?

·
Make it a double
17,034 Posts
I would view it as a hobby. Most hobbies are for the enjoyment and...………..cost money. Some investment is recoverable but generally not all. The part not recovered pays for your enjoyment.
So true. Enjoy the ride and if you recoup your money later it’s a bonus. Life is short. Spend time doing what you love.

·
Premium Member
8,151 Posts
Hi,
I have been working on a 4.25" Commander for the past year off and on when time permits.
It started as a Foster Blem frame cut to Commander specs by Caspian and a slide and barrel in 45 Auto from Remsport.
The other parts were EGW, Colt, Wilson Combat, Ed Brown, ect.
All pretty good parts.
I checkered the frame, machined, ball cuts,french cuts, beveled bottom of slide, dehorned, ect.
All the parts were hand fitted and prepped.
Took the pistol out yesterday and ran 100 rds through it.
No FTE, FTF, slide locks back everytime.
Did the extraction test where a round is loaded with mag, mag is dropped and round is fired.
Round ejects same as when mag is in.
Casings ejecting about 0300 at a 25 degree angle up and lands about 5' away.
I'm left handed so that is good to me.
All of that to ask, what quality of 1911 are we building?
Meaning the serious hobbyiest or part time maker?
I'm building this Commander because I want a steel frame not alloy and I want a 70 series not 80.
So, where would you rate a well made home shop 1911 using good well made modern parts?
Please don't derail this with the wore out barstock vs MIM parts.
Just wondering where these pistols fit in the scheme of things compared to other 1911 out there for sale???
Pictures?
:pics:

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
Locally I can sell the guns I build for reasonably good money.
Some people know my work and generally it's well accepted.
But I still rely on the fact that what I'm building is for me and my satisfaction.
Then when I'm at the range or a competition I'll get asked to look at the gun and it gets sold and the cycle starts over again.

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi,
This pistol is not finished it has a SS frame and carbon slide.
I've got some KG Gunkote for it but have to finish my oven.
Just sayin, still needs to be sanded and bead blasted so here it is with all the warts.
I am just now having the time to learn about these pistols and learn what I can from where ever I can learn it.
I do not have the money to take classes from the Big Boys but learning anyway.
Gun Firearm White Trigger Line
Gun Firearm Trigger White Style
Gun Firearm Trigger White Line

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
Personal taste opinion here! I like my ball cuts to be even with the frame.
Again that may only be personal preference!
I like the way the Sig safeties feel and work, when they are deactivated does the contour follow the frame/grip safety contour?
Like you I often leave a little bbl sticking out of the bushing until I'm happy with the function of the gun. Then I flush it up with the bushing.
That's a nice looking project and the milling appears clean from what I can see.
Well done.

·
1911 Pistol Smith
11,465 Posts
Very nice first attempt, now rinse and repeat lol.. With over a year in the build I'd never sell the pistol, you could continue throughout your experience and learning process to use this pistol as a test subject adding parts changing it around as you go. Experimenting so to speak..

Or when you build #3,4-5 you can look back on this one and see how much you've grown. Many here will tell you I'd never be one to discourage a hobbiest learning the trade by nearly whatever mean necessary. I'm fortunate in that I have at least 3 competent Smiths that live or at least work less than 1hr away from me. What a blessing those visits, chats, and experiences have been..

FYI I would suggest Cerakote over the Gunkote .. Just imo..

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Gun Firearm White Line Trigger
Personal taste opinion here! I like my ball cuts to be even with the frame.
Again that may only be personal preference!
I like the way the Sig safeties feel and work, when they are deactivated does the contour follow the frame/grip safety contour?
Like you I often leave a little bbl sticking out of the bushing until I'm happy with the function of the gun. Then I flush it up with the bushing.
That's a nice looking project and the milling appears clean from what I can see.
Well done.
Hi,
Thanks, the ball cuts were suppose to be even with the frame but I missed it!
Probably go and recut them as like you they are bugging me.
I will admit I was wanting to know how it would shoot so plowed ahead.
I'm left handed so need a ambi safety and the SIG seems to be made well even though it is MIM.
Don't really want to spend $130 for a TS.
Here's a pic of the TS area
Yes, I'm going to cut the barrel back to the bushing but need to make a jig for my lathe. View attachment 379079 View attachment 379079 View attachment 379079 View attachment 379079 View attachment 379079

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Very nice first attempt, now rinse and repeat lol.. With over a year in the build I'd never sell the pistol, you could continue throughout your experience and learning process to use this pistol as a test subject adding parts changing it around as you go. Experimenting so to speak..

Or when you build #3,4-5 you can look back on this one and see how much you've grown. Many here will tell you I'd never be one to discourage a hobbiest learning the trade by nearly whatever mean necessary. I'm fortunate in that I have at least 3 competent Smiths that live or at least work less than 1hr away from me. What a blessing those visits, chats, and experiences have been..

FYI I would suggest Cerakote over the Gunkote .. Just imo..
Hi,
Yes the Gun Coat I have is a little old and may just ditch it.
At the time I bought it, KG Gun Coat was the one people were using but things change.
I was building FAL's back when you could get a Austrian Steyr STG-58 parts kit for $150 and an IMBEL forged receiver for $200...
Those were the days!

·
Registered
3,581 Posts
* Personal knowledge of the platform.
* An appreciation of the work of so many of the craftsman on this and other forums.
* An understanding of all the parts and how they interact.
* An eye for details that otherwise would escape you.
* A gun that hopefully shoots better than any production gun out there.
* A family heirloom to be handed down between generations.
* Patience.
* Personel Satisfaction.

·
Consider my signature line before replying . . . .
14,798 Posts
Great question, and great thread.

I think the value of mine varies with whichever grips I have on it at the time . . . . . .

Metal String instrument Guitar accessory Iron Everyday carry

Gun Firearm Trigger Gun accessory Ammunition

White Metal Black Grey Steel

Gun Metal Trigger Grey Tan

Gun Firearm Trigger Metal Gun accessory

Gun Product Firearm Trigger Gun accessory

Metal Silver Carbon Wire Steel

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.