What Areas Should I Smooth Out with FINE Sandpaper??

Discussion in '1911 Gunsmithing' started by Nalajr, Oct 19, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Nalajr

Nalajr Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2015
    Hey all.
    I was handling my XSE Commander Stainless the other day and the trigger felt like it was not moving smoothly at all. Also a couple other rough spots on the rails.

I’m wanting to know what areas would you recommend be smoothed out with a fine grain wet/dry sandpaper like 1200 grit or higher?

Any advice would be appreciated.
    Thank you.
    Larry

2. azguy1911

azguy1911 I'm done buying guns, I'm just a bystander now

Oct 22, 2015
    Is it new? if it is, I think you'll find many things will smooth out after 500-1,000 rounds. The slurry created from powder residue and lubricating oil can rid the metal of any fine imperfection not taken care of at the factory

switchback and Mikey00130 like this.

3. Integrity Arms

Integrity Arms 1911 Pistol Smith

Mar 20, 2017
    The trigger not moving smoothly, can be caused by more than just rough surface. Could be the bow is out of square to the frame, or the pad is bent up, down, or to one side or the other, or cockeyed. Etc... Just smoothing something without verifying the actual issues can cause a whole different set of problems.. Not that 1200 grit is going to affect it too much, but I would take the advice above and shoot it a bit to see if some things don't just start to smooth out a little on their own.

4. Bender

Bender Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 15, 2011
    Keep the sandpaper away from the gun.
    Oil it.
    Shoot it a few hundred rounds, lube some more, shoot another few hundred.

Detail strip, clean and lube.

5. TheCollector

TheCollector Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2018
    what Bender said. ^^^^^^

Integrity Arms likes this.
  6. jjfitch

jjfitch Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2012
    There is a tutorial that might give you some idea as to what can be smoothed, stoned and adjusted. About the only area that may benefit from "sand paper" is the sides of the trigger bow if it has been "squared"!

Google: "Wiegand 2.5# trigger pull"

I also includes tools available from Brownell's!

Don't do any stoning of the sear or hammer or spring adjusting unless you are thoroughly familiar with the 1911 and an experienced shooter!

Smiles,

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted