1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Known Agitator
3,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, with the current political environment, it is time to turn my NoBetto stripped lower into an AR. So, what flavor? I have owned a 6.8 SPC AR in the past, love the sound when you shoot it. My thoughts when I got the lower was a 300BO.

My intended use would be 100 yards or less. I am not a hunter, but would like something with a little more authority than the 5.56... But, I want to be able to get ammo for it. Don't have the $ for a SBR or can, so just a basic gun. What basic carbine style AR would be the easiest to get ammo for, but have a little more than the 5.56?

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Hi,
Well, what a 300 BO or a 7.62X39, is to me is just a Win. 30-30...

Nothing wrong with that, probably more Deer killed with one than any other cartridge out there. (East Coast!)

You just might be degradng the 5.56 a little as it is a serious, nasty CQB round.

Also very little recoil, allowing quicker follow up shots.

Probably also more accurate if needed at longer range.

Ammo cheaper, more available in hard times, and the list goes on.

In the house to house fighting, in IRAQ, it was noticed that the M4's with Red Dots were working for our Troops better or faster than the Bad Guys with iron sight AK-47's, just something, I heard???

Range Toy, Long Distance, Varmit, CQB, the little 5.56 has done it all!:cool:

Air gun Machine gun Soldier Recreation Trigger

·
Registered
701 Posts
If you don’t have one in 5.56, then 5.56. You’re over analyzing, especially for your use. If you already have 5.56, then the 6.8. Why did you get rid of the one you had ?

I’m contemplating a 6.8 build. I’ve also been eying 375 SOCOM, but I’m thinking 458 maybe a wiser choice. Starline really needs needs to get off their asses and start another shift to get some brass back in stock.

·
Banned
306 Posts
I have both 300AAC and 7.62x39 as a bigger bore addition. The 7.62x39 came first as an optional use for the ammo stock for the SKS(s). By handloading, I've been able to move that upper into suitable deer taker class.
The 300AAC was just a wild hair. I had an upper and the barrel was the only one Brownells had on hand the day I ordered. It seems to have some potential as a deer gun for Grandsons and has shown much better accuracy than the best I've been able to achieve with the x39 besides it doesn't require additional mags.
Brass can be reformed from .223 if you don't mind the extra effort.
While it's likely a good idea for familiarity training, I refuse to pay twice as much for a 22lr upper vs a simple effective 10/22.

·
Known Agitator
3,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have an AR in 5.56 flavor. I sold my 6.8 because money was tight and I wanted a better 1911. Almost sold my 5.56, but came to my senses, every 'merican needs at least one AR...

Leaning towards the 6.8, but the 300BO would be cool if I ever got a suppressor. This is a "want" gun. I like the 5.56, but the boom of the 6.8 is fun too. Going through a rifle case, I found around 100 rounds of 6.8 ammo and 2 mags, so, might just go 6.8. Might be fun to play around with reloading for a rifle one day, maybe play around at a little longer range shooting.

But, I have had the lower for a few years, and yeah, I am an addict...

·
Registered
6,573 Posts
My 15’s are in 5.56 & 6.8 personally so those would be my recommendations

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
838 Posts
7.62x39 in an AR is a terrible idea. Firing pins and mags are going to be your enemy here

.300blk is pointless if not going suppressed and SBR. Better off going 30-30 as the ballistics will be the same out of a 16” barrel. 30-30 being cheaper and easier to find

6.8? Once again why?

need more authority than 5.56? For what? It’s plentiful, cheap, mags are everywhere.

the correct answer here is 5.56

·
Registered
745 Posts
Yea. I gotta reiterate the above comments. If you’re not shooting past 100 and you’re not suppressing / running subs, or hunting medium size game. It seems 5.56 would be what you want. Cheap(ish) plentiful ammo and mags, low recoil. Also the 5.56 round is an absolute terror in the distances you described. It just starts losing steam at longer distances.

·
Known Agitator
3,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Since you are clearly allergic to having duplicates, building another AR-15 will just irritate your delicate condition. Trade/sell your unbuilt lower to someone not so afflicted and pursue something else.
Well that is no fun!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts