1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
They say the early builds are better than later builds and at some point good outsourced parts (like Wilson, etc.) were being replaced by cheaper versions.

Had mine for a couple of years with maybe 4-5 range trips. It is not an early build but I don’t believe it’s a late build either. My impressions:
- If I concentrate, it is as accurate as my Baers
- Trigger is OK, not awesome but not production either. Mine needed the overtravel screw adjusted.
- Mine is melonite, the finish does not seem as “thick” as on current production DWs or NHs. Fine for a range gun that never gets holstered.
- I dislike the firing pin safety (activated by grip safety) but don’t want to deal with removing the rear sight to get rid of it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I bought one new a few years ago and thought highly of it. Accurate, pleasant to shoot. One thing I did not like was the firing pin safety, which gave no problems. I just didn't see the need for it.
A couple of months ago I sold it, a 1911 SC Commander, 9mm Pro Series, a Colt 1911, and two Ruger SR1911's and replaced them all with Dan Wessons.

·
Premium Member
3,372 Posts
I have a Pro Series 9mm that I bought used about five years ago. It was in good shape. Had a decent trigger, nice adjustable sites. Never shot it beyond fifteen yards.
Some bad machining inside the slide, can't see it when the slide is in battery..
I am happy with it...

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
not sure about the gun BUT beware that their CS sucks--big time.

Reactions: tac45

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
The new E Series or the new Perf Center pistols are better. I have a Commander size one built in 2004. JRE6xxx serial number. It does have the mechanical firing pin safety based off the grip safety. Not related to the old Colt Swartz safety as the S&W one was developed in house at S&W by a fellow named Mochak? I think.

I put the Carbon fibre grips on mine. This guy also has the narrower external extractor.

I do not shoot it a huge amount and it has always functioned fine. It has a righty only thumb safety and a FLGR also by the way.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Here are a couple of PC guns. These are not to be confused with the current versions. Also don't confuse the PC guns with the Pro series.
The PC 1911 seen here is easily compared with other semi custom 1911's in fit, finish and performance. It is interesting to note the serial number is JMB 0023!

20180923_095956[1067] PC guns.jpg

·
Registered
478 Posts
I own a SW1911E and a PD 1911 dang good quality builds.....mim parts and all. I guess hand fitting can only be a better thing.

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
Completely agree with jjfitch. I have the same PC as you and also an E-Series pistol and they are worlds apart. E-Series is a solid production gun, but fit/accuracy/trigger is a step above on the PC.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Here are a couple of PC guns. These are not to be confused with the current versions. Also don't confuse the PC guns with the Pro series.
The PC 1911 seen here is easily compared with other semi custom 1911's in fit, finish and performance. It is interesting to note the serial number is JMB 0023!

View attachment 367367
Nice PPC-9!

Do you know of an approximate date (or serial number) that separates the PC1911s that are comparable in quality to PPC-9s, 952s, 845s, and the like, and those that aren’t?

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
As mentioned the early ones using nice parts, as from Wilson are considered good. Also from what I read when they first came out folks from the Performance Center trained and supervised the general S&W workers in making them. I have heard JRDxxxx and JRExxxx serial numbers are early ones.

I remember when they came out some gun mag at the time had a picture of them on the cover with the title "Hell Froze Over" meaning S&W was making 1911s.... sort of.

I have a 945 I had bought and it is a lovely pistol. Mine is a 945 no dash. I think it was about 2001-2002 that Mochek came out with the mechanical firing pin safety. Mine does not have it but a friend has a 945-1 and he said his does. Now the 945 line is not a 1911. It even uses different mags. Still it is nice SA pistol in 45ACP.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
As mentioned the early ones using nice parts, as from Wilson are considered good. Also from what I read when they first came out folks from the Performance Center trained and supervised the general S&W workers in making them. I have heard JRDxxxx and JRExxxx serial numbers are early ones.

I remember when they came out some gun mag at the time had a picture of them on the cover with the title "Hell Froze Over" meaning S&W was making 1911s.... sort of.

I have a 945 I had bought and it is a lovely pistol. Mine is a 945 no dash. I think it was about 2001-2002 that Mochek came out with the mechanical firing pin safety. Mine does not have it but a friend has a 945-1 and he said his does. Now the 945 line is not a 1911. It even uses different mags. Still it is nice SA pistol in 45ACP.

That's nice.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts