1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Jeff Cooper used to say that the only modifications a reliable 1911 needs are “sights you can see, a trigger you can manage and a dehorning (a smoothing of sharp edges).”

I've re-configured this 1911 many times over the years. Here's how this Series 80 Colt is currently configured.
Harrison Rear Retro Sight
Talon Tape over Front Strap (highly recommend for smooth front straps)
EGW (I think) Short Spur Hammer to avoid bite
Cheap standard ambi-safey (I'm a lefty).

I like "bells and whistles" 1911's also, but there's a lot of beauty in the classics.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Hi,
Nice pistol!
When that cheap ambi goes, you might want to try a SIG 1911 safety.
They are MIM, but seem reliable, affordable, and is what SIG uses of course.
Gun Firearm Trigger Gun accessory Air gun

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
Very nice and I agree, with Cooper and your set up. I'd tweak it a little differently, I have EGW or Wilson Ambi safeties on almost all of my guns at this point and a Jardine tactical hook rear / gold bead front sight for target acquistion. Everything else after that is gravy, now I do love gravy but one can certainly get by in life without it ;)

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Jeff Cooper used to say that the only modifications a reliable 1911 needs are “sights you can see, a trigger you can manage and a dehorning (a smoothing of sharp edges).”

I've re-configured this 1911 many times over the years. Here's how this Series 80 Colt is currently configured.
Harrison Rear Retro Sight
Talon Tape over Front Strap (highly recommend for smooth front straps)
EGW (I think) Short Spur Hammer to avoid bite
Cheap standard ambi-safey (I'm a lefty).

I like "bells and whistles" 1911's also, but there's a lot of beauty in the classics.

Very nice,
& so true.

·
So soon old, so late smart...
866 Posts
She's a beauty! Very nice indeed. I agree on the Talon Tape. A smooth front strap definitely needs some kind of treatment. I have some "skateboard tape" on one of my pistols that works really well.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Hi,
Nice pistol!
They are MIM, but seem reliable, affordable, and is what SIG uses of course. View attachment 414407
Wow, looks very similar. I actually had that rear sight for awhile, but switched to the Harrison retro. I also have one of the Sig ambi-safties on my Colt Agent. I might have to pick-up another.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Hi,
The black SIG ambi's were not available for awhile, but seems they have caught up on the demand.
I would love a EGW or Wilson, but $100+ for a safety, just bugs me some how!

My rear sight is a 10-8 Retro with a U shaped notch.

The barrel is a S&W take off and the pistol is pretty darn accurate!

·
Every day is Saturday and every night's a party!
7,232 Posts
Cooper was right, at a minimum that's what you need in a reliable 1911 for defensive use. I appreciate the rugged utility of a Cooper style 'minimalist' 1911, I love the old school look and feel of such a gun, but I prefer a 1911 with a little more than Cooper was satisfied with.

My King's Gun Works '48 Colt is a "Cooper era" build ('Al' Capone built it in the '70s) but it has some extras beyond his basic criteria that make it a more desirable gun for me.

@ChuckC and the Colt Custom Shop are responsible for this 'Retro Reissue", I feel it's a nice modern take on Cooper's thinking with an unmistakeable old school vibe.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
There is some very fine work being done today, probably better than the Old Masters, but just so much of your gunsmith's time gets tied up in cosmetics.
Do I need a French Border to get hits?
I DO need a beavertail. Nice old guns with all the then-bells and whistles but plain grip safeties look a little naked and feel strange.

My most useful Cooper quotation: "You will do as you think best."

·
What me worry ?
12,446 Posts
Hi,
Nice pistol!
They are MIM, but seem reliable, affordable, and is what SIG uses of course. View attachment 414407
If the pistol is to be used to protect your life , I wouldn’t want too
Use and worry about MIM parts breaking and if Sig uses MIM parts
They do so to save money on the build .
You really want to bet your life on MIM ???

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Hi,
I have and do.
Nothing wrong with newer MIM parts in the right place.
I think Kimber gave MIM a bad name.
I've talked to a lot of 1911 SIG Users and never a complaint about parts breakage.
With the Internet today, if something is not working as it should...
You will hear about it!

·
Every day is Saturday and every night's a party!
7,232 Posts
There is some very fine work being done today, probably better than the Old Masters, but just so much of your gunsmith's time gets tied up in cosmetics.
Do I need a French Border to get hits?
I DO need a beavertail. Nice old guns with all the then-bells and whistles but plain grip safeties look a little naked and feel strange.

My most useful Cooper quotation: "You will do as you think best."
Nothing wrong with personalization on top of functional modifications. Look at the history of gunfighters, military, samurai, knights, etc, and personalized weapons and gear have always been around. Certainly it was all functional first and foremost, but carved leather gear, polished accents, engraving, and such are common through out history. Cooper's personal ideal was spartan, but even then not everyone subscribed to that minimalist approach. Heck, even Cooper's own pistol had a nickeled or hard chrome frame and small parts, a rat tail grip safety, Commander hammer, and scrimshawed ivory grips.

·
Premium Member
1,290 Posts
When Cooper said that many things considered standard or expected today weren't even around.
What is "standard or expected" is different from what is "needed".

He preached KISS so people could have a 1911 that does what it needs to do w/o unnecessary expense.

·
What me worry ?
12,446 Posts
Hi,
I have and do.
Nothing wrong with newer MIM parts in the right place.
I think Kimber gave MIM a bad name.
I've talked to a lot of 1911 SIG Users and never a complaint about parts breakage.
With the Internet today, if something is not working as it should...
You will hear about it!
All it has to do is fail once in a life or death situation and you don’t have to worry about it ever again .
No disrespect Sir , but if I were going in harms way , I’d use the
The best proven parts in the weapon, MIM will eventually fail ,don’t even want to take that chance .

·
Pearl Pimp
3,138 Posts
I agree. I like the deck stacked in my favor, but that's just me.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts