292338 Views 4594 Replies 524 Participants Last post by  Fatbob Frank
To be fair, these were from yesterday:

Rock Island GI .45
RIA GI .45 by awp101, on Flickr

Ruger SR1911 Commander size
SR1911 CDR by awp101, on Flickr

S&W Model 57
IMG_0844 by awp101, on Flickr

Ruger target, 50rds at 7yds. The low shots were the first ones. The rest were after I made my self slow down and focus
SR1911 CDR 7yds 230g 50rds by awp101, on Flickr

Model 57 target, 12 rds at 7yds. My first go 'round with the .41 Magnum and I can certainly see the attraction
Mod57 7yds 185g Hornady 12rds by awp101, on Flickr

Let's see who else has been burning powder recently!
See less See more
Reactions: 5
1 - 20 of 4595 Posts
what did I shoot?

my mouth off, once or twice.
Sounds like I'm in with the right crowd...:laugh: :pompus:

Have not shot anything or anyone(haha) in a very long time, starting to get depressing!
We're talking a year! I keep buying and have one hell of a pile I haven't shot yet.
I know. I try to get to the range at least once a quarter but most years I only get to make it out 2-3 times the whole year. When I do go I end up bringing a ton of stuff and don't get to all of it because I'm trying to balance trying out the new stuff, working out the bugs on projects and making time for the old favorites. First world problems, I know....
Reactions: 4
A little Good Friday recoil therapy:

9mm Glock mag AR pistol

XDs45

Scoped Blackhawk as a .357 (old pic)

And as a 9mm (still working on getting the cylinder fitted properly)

Remington Model 11 project
[url=https://flic.kr/p/SAJypf]
[/url]
See less See more
What CZ is that? Is it just a CZ75 Orange? Local place had one but I didn't ask to see it...:roll:
Took the day off Friday for a little range time. Did a shoot off between these two

I need to modify the grip to fit me better but I just flat shoot the Glock better, it has a better trigger and just feels better to shoot. The only advantage the XD had was it fits me better without any mods. Unfortunately yesterday also confirmed my hands don't play well with small .45s anymore so that stops my plans of picking up a G36 and/or an Officer size 1911. I think any thoughts of .460 Rowland, .45 Super or .50GI will have to be in a full size platform instead of a G30 or midsize XD.
See less See more
I'm glad this thread took off. It's nice to see what others are shooting and how they're doing,

They shut down the shop just after lunch today so I had time to get to the range for a couple of hours. Projects and chores have already been lined up for me all weekend and I was wondering when I was going to squeeze in a range trip.

First up was the .38 Super kit build I've been working on HERE :

I still have a trigger reset problem and after the 3rd loading, one of the mags developed a feed issue but overall it ran fine. Brass dropped between 4 and 5 o'clock about 6-8 feet away. The sights will have to be changed. I found I can't do dark/dark even on light colored targets anymore. Maybe a fiber optic front but I'm thinking more along the lines of a gold bead. :D It really worked over the steel plates at 20 yds and I think a 9mm barrel might in the future to double the pleasure, double the fun. Or I do have a spare frame to build on...hmmmm.

Next was trying out a CMC flat trigger in my G19:

It feels...different. I can't say if I like it or dislike it. It doesn't feel as mushy as the factory unit and the reset is easier to feel but the pull weight and length of pull feel very close to the same as the factory.

After function testing those two, I went to the next range over and proceeded to wear out the falling plates and other steel targets on the 20yd line. I put around 275 rounds downrange in almost 2 hours, mostly 9mm and I thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it! :smurggrin:

Most of the 9mm went through the XDm OSP:

I've got almost 250 rounds through this one over 2 range trips and it's really growing on me. The dot shows me how bad I shake and that I've got a habit of breaking my wrists down just before I fire. I never realized that and I now know something specific to work on.

Wrapped up the afternoon with 4 mags of hardball. This is easily the best 1911 that I've bought as well as my favorite 1911 (based on an admittedly small sample size from Para and RIA).
See less See more
Reactions: 4
Another Rock Island/PSA build project, this one in .45:

We were informed 30SEP that Probable Future Daughter in Law has officially been placed in Future Daughter in Law status and will attain full fledged Daughter in Law status in November. Saturday I put this together on my second PSA/Dasan frame. This will be the wedding gift for my son from myself and his older brother. I took it out Sunday for a function check/range test. Put a box of Blazer brass through it and it did a good job working over the CAS target on the 20yd line at the range. Pulled it apart this evening to start the tweaking and cleaning up the cosmetics. Trigger sides will be buffed and polished and I need to address a sticking slide stop.

Before the wedding news, I was thinking about building the second frame as a 9mm. With the second frame going to the .45 build, I figured that was a good excuse to pick up a 9mm barrel and fit it to the .38 Super project. That happened Saturday as well and it made the range trip Sunday. Wow, what a fun shooter!

Finally got good pics of the SR1911 CMD with the SK Grips aged buffalo bone

The odd man out was the G19 with AA .22 conversion kit I picked up recently. Another fun shooter!
See less See more
Reactions: 2
Put one more box through the PSA/RIA .45 build as a final shakedown in case anything needed to be tweaked for function. This one is going to the youngest boy as a wedding present.

Then I put 4 mags through a new to me CZ P-09
See less See more
100 rounds of .44 Special out of the 4" 29

5 rounds of full house 158g .357, 20 rounds of much milder .38 Special (after my eyes quit watering and my hand quit stinging :roflmaro: )
See less See more
Reactions: 3
Took a couple hours of range time yesterday.

4" .327 SP101

I like the overall feel and balance, the trigger is acceptable (for now) and in general it handles nicely. I like almost everything about this one except I can't fire .32ACP out of it like I could my Single Seven. Since I'm limited to factory fodder for the foreseeable future that's disappointing because .32ACP makes for a nice, low blast plinking round. Since it's my only .32, I'll have to decide if it stays or if I want to try and swap it for something like a 4" .22 or .357.

4" .357 GP100

Picked this up over on Ruger Forum last month. Trigger job from Actions by T, walrus ivory inserts. As Samuel L Jackson said about the Big Kahuna Burger, this IS a tasty trigger! It's heavier than the older S&W triggers I've had but if it's not as smooth, it's not far off. It's a real joy to shoot in DA.

And I picked up an extra set of scales to keep the dirt and wear down on the walrus. Yes, scales. I ordered these of GB without enlarging the picture. I THOUGHT they were the Spanish Diamond pattern like this:

After ordering, I enlarged the picture and saw they were this:

Not horrible but not my taste. I'll keep them as a reminder to enlarge the picture before hitting the BiN button. And I can't even blame it on drinking and browsing... :roflmaro:

Put about 35 rounds of .38 Special through this old friend, Marlin 1894C

Another couple hundred rounds of 9mm were sent down range by some CZ pistols and a Scorpion EVO 3 but no pics since I was too busy feeding them.:D
See less See more
Today is going to be a special range day. My mother, who hasn't been able to leave the house in a while because of health problems, is going to come out with us.
Outstanding!
Got the replacement Scorpion conversion barrel a couple of weeks ago and finally installed it this morning so a range date was in order. 120 flawless rounds. Now to decide if I want to stick with the EOTech (because it's mine and already paid for) or go to something a smaller (but that means cutting into my AR build fund).

Rolled out the new to me 6" 686 Silhouette as well. That optic is coming off. I think I'll get a Weigand mount, pull the scope from my .357 Blackhawk, mount it here and go back to irons on the BH.

Finally, I brought out a bog standard, new to me 4" GP100. I traded the .327 SP for this because I couldn't do what I wanted to with the SP and I saw no point in keeping a single .32 caliber around.
See less See more

16" CBC .308 upper, Aero Precision stripped lower, DPMS and ALG guts, PRS stock
I was pleasantly surprised with this build and I enjoyed it even more than I thought I would. The CBC upper ran right out of the box. I was expecting a break in period but for the 25-30 rounds I shot yesterday it cycled fully each time. The recoil is less than I remember when shooting my old FAL off the bench and from the bipod it has more jump than shove.

This started out as a PSA sub-$300 shipped 5.56 upper 2-3 years ago. I swapped the A frame front sight/gas block for a folding version and the A2 handguards for Magpul MOE. I was able to run a folding rear sight when it had a red dot but with the 1-4x Bushnell scope set up I'm either going to have to ditch the BUIS or go to a rail front end to have enough real estate. Other than that, a sling, more mags and food to feed it should be all it needs now.

18" 6.8 with the Bushnell 1.5-6 scope. I ran into the same lack of room with this one as well so I need to decide how important a BUIS is on this one. Same as the 5.56 a sling, more mags and food to feed it should do it.

I did 60 rounds of either slow simulated draw or present from low ready and firing 1 round DAO from the CZ P-07. That and the Rami are my carry rotation and I use the decocker option so the first round is DA. The handgun range has 2 CAS silhouettes at about 17yds so those are what I practice on. We had 2 days of pretty good rain during the week and the stands were in a puddle so in addition to the sounds of a hit there was a nice splash. After the first 2 mags from the CZ I alternated between .38s in a GP100 and a S&W Model 63 .22. The goal with them was to keep the steel dripping from the splashes of water for a full cylinder. Easier to do with the .38. :D

See less See more
...my mouth off...:bang::bang::bang:...gotta find my "filter" again...
I do that so often I don't even bother posting a new thread about it...:roflmaro:
GA, what light are you running on the AR?
Reactions: 1
Cool, thanks!
New to me M&P Shield that's going to end up costing me money: https://www.1911addicts.com/threads/m-p-shield-apex.50269/#post-741053

The Taurus PT-92AF that belonged to my Grandfather. He bought it from the pawn shop I worked at in the early to mid-90s. The discolored brass is what was in the mags when I inherited it a couple of years ago. It's a horse of a gun that I never really cared for due to the size but for some reason it's started feeling better and more natural to me recently.

Shield and PT-92 targets

Put a Weigand mount on the GP100 I did a mild trigger job on. I tried a Fastfire on it but my eyes and handgun skills were lacking when I tried to zero the Fastfire at 25yds. No problem zeroing the scope at 25yds though.
See less See more
Today was 9mm and working on the fundamentals day. I've gotten into a bad habit of just wanting to ring the 15yd steel plates at the range so today's primary goal was to stay on the 7yd line and work on front sight focus, DA first shot from low ready and follow through.

I discovered it's real easy for me to get into a groove and start outrunning my sights. Almost 500 rounds between the Shield 1.0 and a pair of Beretta 92 Compacts but there was improvement. At the end of the session I put the last 45-50 rounds through the black 92 on the 2 15yd plates and knew exactly where to hold to get a first round DA hit. It's small progress but it's progress.

Railed 92 Compact I picked up in the Classifieds here, with and without light

Non-railed I picked up a week ago

The original owner said he put about 3000 rounds through it and I believe it. Smooth and easy to shoot well when I take my time. I need to measure the Langdon Tactical panels, they feel thinner than the WC but I don't know if they are or if it's just my perception.

Sighted in the Fastfire on the Scorpion. Still working out light placement vs my hand placement vs the handstop.

No pictures of the Shield or the CMMG .22 AR conversion I put about 100 rounds through. I had to make myself stop with the conversion because I was running out of time to finish up with the Berettas. Man that thing is F-U-N!
See less See more
Put some glass on that beast and start tracking rhinos!:D I had a Handi-Rifle in .500 S&W for a time. Recoil was...stout.
Put a little over 100 through the Beretta 92 compacts, 75 or so through a new to me 3.6" version 1.0 M&P9c I traded into last week and 100 though this:

Rock Island Tactical that was an impulse buy a couple of weeks ago. I found out my hands notice 100 rounds of .45 more than they used to...
See less See more
1 - 20 of 4595 Posts