1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Every day is Saturday and every night's a party!
7,920 Posts
This morning I fired two rounds of 110gr JHP .357mag out of my Ruger GP100 Match Champion.

One round each into the heads of these two American guinea hogs. We added guinea hogs to our little farm last December these two are the first to be harvested.

7,920 Posts
Ruger makes a great revolver, WC. I am partial to the old Security Six series. Although the SRH Alaskans are fun shooting too.

What did I shoot today? Not a dang thing! :mad:

Hope to remedy that this weekend. Some 1911 and Alaskan (.480 Ruger) time. Maybe some .357 Vaquero just for Canterbury.
Yeah, they do. I've had several over the years, really like this GP100. The Hogue grips are made at an angle that is very similar to the 1911 grip frame making this one point very naturally for me, just like the 1911.

7,920 Posts
Shot one round out of my old H&R .22 revolver to put down a 5 month old piglet with a rectal prolapse. Now she's butchered, vacuum packed, and in the freezer.

7,920 Posts

This ^^^^, three mags off the back porch to see if it would run. Surprisingly it did!

7,920 Posts

7,920 Posts
How did your match turn out with the new Pony?
The gun shot great and ran perfect but the competition was tough today. I came in second in single stack and tenth overall. I shot well except for one stage and that was all it took to knock me down a few spots. We'll get 'em next time.;)

7,920 Posts
Culled three 3 piglets today with my G21 of all things. I was going to use the Roadster but the Glock was handy and I didn't feel like opening the safe.

7,920 Posts
Took the Magnum Research BFR 45-70 out for the first time. While the size of the gun and the rounds are intimidating it was no worse to shoot using 350gr flat points (1350fps advertised velocity) than the 5" .44mag S&W we also had was with 240gr JHPs. The BFRs have a reputation for accuracy that I've wondered about and I didn't give it much of a test since we were only shooting at about 18yds but it would put them in one big hole over and over as long as you could hold it steady. One thing I found interesting and entertaining was that when you cock it it sounds like a vault closing as cylinder turns and locks into place!

Here are a couple of pics showing the size of the BFR compared to my 3.75" .45ACP Vaquero an the 45-70 rounds next to some 230gr ball .45s.

7,920 Posts
The other day I managed to find a few minutes to run a couple of mags through the Tussey Norinco that I recently got from Dump1567. It's a nice gun, good trigger, well put together, plenty accurate. I swapped the arched MSH for flat, put the original thumb safety back in it, and changed the grips. This pic is the first mag I shot through it, 8rds at about 12yds. No complaints.:)

7,920 Posts
Shot LEOSA quals today with my Joe C modded Baer BOSS. Gotta say that this gun is just a pleasure to shoot, it's ridiculously smooth, Baer accurate, and runs like a top. No problem qualifying, shot 49/50 and 50/50, threw one round the first time through shooting around a "simulated" barricade at 18yds other than that it was a piece of cake.

If anyone is interested, this is the course of fire we shot today-

Maine Criminal Justice Academy

Plain Clothes Course of Fire

50 Rounds

Shooter Proficiency = 40 hits total (80%) back to back.
Instructor Proficiency = 45 hits total (90%) back to back.

Total
Distance Activity Time Rounds
3 Yard 6 Rounds total - from holster

1 round standing 2 second
2 rounds standing 3 seconds

3 rounds standing 3 seconds 6 rounds

5 Yard 9 Rounds Total – from Holster

Failure Drill = (2 to the chest and 1 to the head)

2 rounds standing, pulse fire, center mass 3 seconds

3 rounds, failure drill, pulse fire 3 seconds 9 rounds

7 Yard 9 Rounds Total – from Holster
On the whistle, take one lateral side step and fire

2 rounds standing, pulse fire, center mass 4 Seconds

3 rounds, failure drill, pulse fire 3 seconds 9 rounds

10 yard 6 Rounds Total - Ready Gun

3 rounds, standing, pulse fire, center mass 3 Seconds

3 rounds, kneeling, failure drill 4 seconds 6 rounds

12 yard 4 Rounds Total - Ready Gun

2 rounds, standing, pulse fire, center mass 3 Seconds

2 rounds, standing, pulse fire, center mass 3 Seconds 4 rounds

15 yard 4 Rounds Total – Ready Gun – Barricade

2 rounds standing, over barricade

2 rounds kneeling, strong side barricade 10 seconds 4 rounds

18 yard 6 Rounds Total – Ready Gun - Barricade

From the 25 yard line draw the weapon and safely move to the barricade at the 18 yard line.

2 rounds standing, over barricade

2 rounds kneeling right side barricade

2 rounds kneeling left side barricade 15 seconds 6 rounds

18 yard 6 Rounds Total – Center Mass - Ready Gun – Move and Shoot
All weapons should have at least 6 rounds for this drill

Approach Target on Command – Low Ready

Threat Command - High Ready and Verbalize ID and Command.

Fire Command – 3 shots center mass

Stop, Dress Line and Command to Back Away From Target – Low Ready

Threat Command – High Ready and Verbalize

Fire Command – 3 shots center mass (No Time) 6 rounds

Shooters should be empty. Make line safe. 50 Rounds

Correction- I shot the Boss, not the Hemi. Duh. At least I got the picture right.

7,920 Posts
That’s a decent course of fire, I wish my retirement quals were something other than stand and shoot...
It is, and so is the duty pistol course of fire, it is similar, but goes out to 25yds. Either course of fire makes for a good practice session if you can only squeeze in time for one box of ammo. It would suck just doing a static range session for quals, no fun at all.

Reactions: Eric

7,920 Posts
Is this scored like an IDPA match, or do they use par times and just count the hits?
Verbal commands, no timer, the instructors watch the time. If you're too slow they let you know. The Maine Criminal Justice Academy determines the courses of fire, all LE in Maine shoots the same qual courses, whether active or retired. The FBI Q target is used, hits anywhere on the target are counted, though you must make the head shots in the "head" area of the target on failure drills.

Reactions: B81

7,920 Posts
Shot one of our American Guinea hogs this morning. We raised it for a lady that bought him as a gift for her husband who is a food guy. He wanted to try a heritage breed and has all kind of plans for smoking and curing parts of it. Killed him with the Tussey Norinco .45 and bled him with a Scrapyard Knife Co. 'Trash 1'. He was a nice sized pig for the breed and in great shape. He weighed 191lbs, bled. I think the folks that bought him will be very pleased with the yield and the quality of the meat, these pigs are delicious.

Winter Freezing Snow Tail Precipitation
Gun Firearm White Trigger Line
Brown Tan Insect Beige Fawn

7,920 Posts
Son-in-law brought over a Taurus G2 he just got, thought he should shoot it before carrying it but all he had was one box of 115gr FMJ. Fixed him up with a couple more boxes of range ammo and a box of 9BPLE for carry. While we were out back I ran a couple of mags through the Scorpion and the .45 Kriss. The Kriss is cool but the Scorpion is a little beast, lovin' that thing.

7,920 Posts
Just shot this young woodchuck about 15 mins ago with a Henry .22mag pump rifle. He was in the back yard, shot him from the upstairs window, about 35yds.

7,920 Posts
Today I shot pain in the ass rooster that was beating on the hens. Took him out with the .45ACP Vaquero using Federal Classic 230 HiShok JHPs. Excellent rooster.medicine.

7,920 Posts
Shot another unwanted rooster with a snubby .38 and fed him to the pigs. That makes 8 or 9 roosters out of 25 birds I bought from a guy that said they were all pullets. That's what I get for trying to help him out.

7,920 Posts
This morning I shot this woodchuck in my back yard. 17yds offhand with my Tussey Norinco 1911, 230gr FMJ. They all fall to ball. 😁

7,920 Posts
Vertebrate Mammal Grass Terrestrial animal Wood

7,920 Posts
Wheel Tire Land vehicle Plant Car

1 - 20 of 24 Posts