What do you do when you can't make it to the range?

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by monadh, Apr 20, 2019.

Tags:
  1. monadh

monadh Sapientiae Timor Domini Initium

May 8, 2012
    You get creative when the family goes out of town to a wedding, making sure to keep in mind the neighborhood has covenants against what you are planning to do.

The set up, which included a Ruger 22/45 with a red dot on top:

[​IMG]

If you can't tell, I have the back window open and I am shooting from a rest on the kitchen table. Since I don't have a silencer, I figure being INSIDE the house will muffle things. What I didn't think of was the *TING* of the bullet striking the plates.

The spinning target is 20 yards away, and the milk jug is 25 yards away as determined by the always trustworthy Nikon rangefinder.

The spinning target during the shooting:

[​IMG]

Once I got it zeroed, I took on the milk jug and hit the red cap with the one and only shot I took. I'm calling that good.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 20, 2019
    Novak77, boatdoc, xerts1191 and 11 others like this.
  2. nikerret

nikerret Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2019
    In my younger, dumber days...when I was dumber...

I once set up a box full of moving blankets and shot a stack of phone books leaned against the box, down the hallway. I REALLY wanted to test a gun and couldn’t come up with anything better with the frigid blizzard outside. To mask the sound, I played Saving Private Ryan beach attack at reference volume. I have an acceptable surround system. Couldn’t hear the real shot over the movie effects.

Never do this.

Novak77, xerts1191, WC145 and 5 others like this.

3. B81

B81 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2018
    A coworker of mine is doing something similar at his home in the suburbs. Instead of 22LR and steel targets, however, he's shooting an Ansuchtz air rifle at pesky squirrels. The air rifle has what they call a "lead dust collector" on it. It just so happens that this lead dust collector also serves to suppress sound.

Novak77, Kip and monadh like this.
  4. Greg45acp

Greg45acp Double Secret Banned Supporting Addict

Oct 31, 2016
    Ruger should offer a version of their .22 pistol with my name on it given the number of vile muskrats I killed with one.

Now I stack ground squirrels up with an RWS Diana air rifle. After I wack 30 or so, the squirrels catch on that my yard is a Zona de la Muerte.... and they stay away.

Kip likes this.
  5. Busa Dave

Busa Dave Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2018
    This is one post I cannot believe was actually posted here. So many things wrong doing this. Steel plates with no back stop not to mention being in a "neighborhood". Am sorry, but this is not responsible gun ownership imho and gives all responsible owners a blackeye.

boatdoc likes this.
  6. Busa Dave

Mar 3, 2018
    The problem with air rifles is the higher velocity ones actually crack --- the heavier pellet larger caliber air rifles do not crack. :)

7. monadh

May 8, 2012
    Dave, I did not know I would need to give the safety specifications here. The nearest house to mine is 125 yards away to the side. My yard backs up to thick woods and fields that go for about a mile behind the house. Safety was considered and the only ones threatened were the moles in my back yard.

Fred_G, Kip and Busa Dave like this.
  8. Busa Dave

Mar 3, 2018
    Understand your position I just do not agree with it. Do feel better about the 125 yards :). I never shoot at steel without a backstop but that is just me. Mine are dirt berms or the sides of hills.

boatdoc likes this.
  9. gaijin

gaijin Well-Known Member

May 18, 2015
    Dryfire and shoot in the back of the shop.

Can shoot just 12 yds., but good enough for rough dial in/load development.
    Sketchy neighborhood, residents are used to gunfire. :eek1:

xerts1191, Fred_G and Capthobo like this.
  10. Babboonbobo

Babboonbobo Avatar is back to my favorite things!

Nov 18, 2014
    Cry!

I’ve been crying a lot:cry:

11. studenygreg

studenygreg Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2016
    Masterbate.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

boatdoc likes this.
  12. razorbacker

razorbacker Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Dec 2, 2011
    I like your creativity. I opened the back doors on my woodworking shop today and shot a few 9mm & .22 rounds at my 30 yard backyard targets. I don't call it a range session just a little stress reliever break.

Novak77, xerts1191 and gaijin like this.
  13. monadh

May 8, 2012
    I have to be creative these days if I want to shoot.

14. bvbarry50

bvbarry50 Sarg.

Oct 11, 2018
    PHi_j0128(10).JPG
    I shoot Paintball with my son.

xerts1191 likes this.
  15. WC145

WC145 Every day is Saturday and every night's a party!

Jan 1, 2013
    Luckily I live in the country and usually just go down in the back field to shoot, so I don't have a problem with a place to shoot. I do, however, have trouble finding the time.
    I only go to the range for shooting matches.

16. xerts1191

xerts1191 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2017
    TMI

17. Novak77

Novak77 Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2019
    A buddy and I did almost the exact same thing, except it was raining and we were listening to loud punk music.

Also don't do this lol.

nikerret and xerts1191 like this.
  18. xerts1191

xerts1191 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2017
    What retired guys do, whatever I want!

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted