1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
1911 Pistol Smith
10,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting an milling machine soon, and need some of the most common bits used for slide customizing. Could use some advice please. I am getting a 1911 slide jig from Brownells and have some steel stock I can round over to mimic the top of a slide. The only example for a french border being cut online is done with a slitting or slotting saw. But, when I look it up on Brownells it doesn't have a favorable review. Had a regular machinist tell me that a regular small end mill should work with the slide laid on it's side, but I thought that would be pretty hard to indicate and set up compared to coming at the slide from the side.. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Suggestions for ball cuts, carry cuts etc... what tools do you guy use? I will only be doing this as a hobby for myself and a friend that is splitting the expense of the machinery and such... Thank you. I know I will get some great quality advice and direction in here.

·
Avatar is back to my favorite things!
9,783 Posts
I too have seen a 60deg da mill to cut the border. I’m looking for mills to cut Novak sights on my slide.
Thinking about making them but would like to find some so I understand your questions.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts