1911 Firearm Addicts banner

What have I got here?

2K views 22 replies 16 participants last post by  ca survivor 
#1 ·
Gents,

Have any of you run across this kind of device before? It looks to be some type of thumb guard. You can see it just above the thumb safety in the photos below.

Who made such a device, and when?

Thanks as always for your sage advice.

Z

Gun Product Yellow Firearm Photograph

Blue Gun Firearm Photograph White

Metal Steel Engineering Watch accessory Watch

See less See more
#11 · (Edited)
You don’t see brass mag bumpers much anymore.
I am thinking that this is an older build. It has a Kart barrel in it. I'm wondering if there is an easy way to be able to attribute the build?

Reactions: KS95B40 and FWoo45
#20 · (Edited)
OK, how many of the contributing gunsmiths here sign their work and how many don't? And if you don't, why not?
@ZoidMeister, glad you had it identified.
Was hesitant to open the thread after reading the subject line. Thought you were seeking advice on strong antibiotics.
This was one of those "don't go to bed without Buy-It-Now" listings on GB.

I saw it within an hour or two of the seller listing it (a smallish Texas pawn shop). I debated with myself for a couple of hours, but figured it wouldn't last overnight. The beginning price and Buy-It-Now price were $1.50 apart. If anyone had and interest, they would be stupid not to hit the buy it now.

When I first saw it, I was hoping it would have been a Swenson (big score on my part), but after looking over the photos and doing research, I determined that it was probably a Lauck or similar build (smaller score on my part).

I am hoping to find out more under the grips or inside of the slide when it arrives. I didn't want to ask too many questions, triggering the owner to realize this wasn't just a run of the mill bubba build.

I'm figuring there is at least $800 of custom work done to this gun (maybe $1,200).

Hell, the Kart barrel alone is worth at least $250, then $100 to fit it, the beavertail, custom bobed hammer, Swenson ambi-safety, sights, checkering, rear of slide treatment, etc.

I am praying there is a signature or mark somewhere under the grips or slide.

Here are all the photos I have on this gun. I took a risk, buying it somewhat sight unseen. Let's see if the Addict-gods are smiling on me.

I would be interested in y'alls opinion of its value based upon what you see.

Onto the pichers . . . .

Product Gun Firearm Photograph White
Metal Steel Engineering Watch accessory Watch
Blue Line Stationery Metal Electric blue
Line Trigger Metal Material property Rectangle
Blue Gun Firearm Photograph White
Gun Product Yellow Firearm Photograph

Z

#14 ·
We used the Wilson (I think) version on our Steel Challenge, compensated/RD guns with 8# springs shooting 120 PF .38 Super loads.
There was so little slide velocity with the LIGHT load/compensator/cone barrel weight- that contact with your “shooting hand” thumb would frequently produce a FTE jamb.

#22 · (Edited)
Seems like it may be a little tricky to rack the slide with the thumb guard covering the serrations. Will be interesting to see if you find the builder label somewhere on it.

That's a great point, and the source of a real "Catch 22" for me.

My first proclivity would be to take off that thumb guard, install a flat trigger, replace the MSH with a Stan Chen SI magwell, and put on a set of fully checkered grips.

Of course I will need to evaluate how it shoots first and how good the trigger is. This will be my very first gun with a Kart barrel, so I am extremely excited and curious.

The downside is that if this build CAN be attributed to a famous smith, dare I do anything to it at all?

Your thoughts? Anyone have an opinion of value knowing what we know now? That might impact what I do with it.

Too many decisions, too little information. It should be here early next week.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.