1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was sure I saw a Dan Wesson for sale here in the classifieds one time so I went to the Dan Wesson website and they are not listed. They have a 9mm lightweight CCO, but no 38 Super.
Don't want to spend Nighthawk money, so that limits the choices. Also, would prefer it not have a rounded butt like the Vigils. Anything available?

·
I'm a terminal 1911 Addict!
5,446 Posts
I got nothing:eek:.o:

Closest thing I know about is a .38 super Guardian.
Commander Bob-tailed Alloy frame.

I'm sure if you ask Keith to build you a .38 Super Guardian
super with a Vigil frame, he will do it.
But you will pay retail and have to wait.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well Dwe, if anyone would know of any it would be you. So I assume that means there probably are not any. Wesson is shut down in New York according to their website.

·
I'm done buying guns, I'm just a bystander now
8,422 Posts
Well Dwe, if anyone would know of any it would be you. So I assume that means there probably are not any. Wesson is shut down in New York according to their website. I wonder if they would build one for me when they open up?
Keith posted on TOOS that the custom shop was being put on hold because they were to busy with other projects.

I wouldn't be hung up with lightweight frame, the heft is good in 38 super, especially in a CCO

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Keith posted on TOOS that the custom shop was being put on hold because they were to busy with other projects.

I wouldn't be hung up with lightweight frame, the heft is good in 38 super, especially in a CCO
It is also more wight trying to pull the right side of my pants down, but I will look for a steel one anyway. Not interested in a Baer shorter than Govt size frame.

·
THE DOCTOR WILL SEE YOU......LATER
2,842 Posts
This is a problem for us guys who want a lightweight 1911 with a few more rounds than 6 or 7 and want good self defense choices other than .45 or 9mm. The specialty smiths need to come up with a Officers sized and lightweight framed 10-12 round 38 Super. I think they would sell very well.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Brown Gun Firearm Trigger Gun accessory
BTW, I already have a somewhat customized lightweight Colt Talo 38 Super Commander with a Kart 4.5" ramped barrel and Heinie mag well. Really like the gun, but the shorter butt of a CCO would make concealed carry just a bit nicer. Many years ago I bought a Colt Lightweight C.C.O. .45 when they first came on the market. Would not feed worth a crap until my gunsmith buddy fixed the extractor. It had diagonal stoppages every magazine, with any kind of magazine. I was very frustrated with it until he fixed it. Then it fed anything including hollow points like a champ. Also had severe sharp edges which I smoothed off. Wish I still had it but it was sold in my 2018 pre-death gun sale. That was the only C.C.O. that I have owned or shot.

Quick poor quality cell phone pic the the Talo 38 Super added:

·
I'm a terminal 1911 Addict!
5,446 Posts
BTW, I already have a somewhat customized lightweight Colt Talo 38 Super Commander with a Kart 4.5" ramped barrel and Heinie mag well. Really like the gun, but the shorter butt of a CCO would make concealed carry just a bit nicer. Many years ago I bought a Colt Lightweight C.C.O. .45 when they first came on the market. Would not feed worth a crap until my gunsmith buddy fixed the extractor. It had diagonal stoppages every magazine, with any kind of magazine. I was very frustrated with it until he fixed it. Then it fed anything including hollow points like a champ. Also had severe sharp edges which I smoothed off. Wish I still had it but it was sold in my 2018 pre-death gun sale. That was the only C.C.O. that I have owned or shot.
I would love to be able to shoot a CCO, however a square butt on a CCO hits a nerve in the palm of my hand and it is a complete no go for me. That being said, I found that a Bobtail commander carrys better, has more capacity and prints about the same as a CCO.
But I'm not a small man.:angel: So the Guardian, in 38 super became my primary EDC and I have never wished for anything more. IMHO, It is as perfect a carry gun as I can find.

Good luck in your search...

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I would love to be able to shoot a CCO, however a square butt on a CCO hits a nerve in the palm of my hand and it is a complete no go for me. That being said, I found that a Bobtail commander carrys better, has more capacity and prints about the same as a CCO.
But I'm not a small man.:angel: So the Guardian, in 38 super became my primary EDC and I have never wished for anything more. IMHO, It is as perfect a carry gun as I can find.

Good luck in your search...
This shows that men are different. I cannot shoot a Bobtailed gun. The Bobtail wallows around in my hand something awful. I ruined my Kimber CDP Custom when I cut it for the Bobtail. It's one of those things that cannot be undone. I tried twice to get Kimber to put my gun on a new frame at my expense, but they refused. No more Bobtails for me.

·
Premium Member
1,439 Posts
This shows that men are different. I cannot shoot a Bobtailed gun. The Bobtail wallows around in my hand something awful. I ruined my Kimber CDP Custom when I cut it for the Bobtail. It's one of those things that cannot be undone. I tried twice to get Kimber to put my gun on a new frame at my expense, but they refused. No more Bobtails for me.
Have you seen the “Bobtail Regrets Mainspring Housing” that EGW makes?

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Have you seen the “Bobtail Regrets Mainspring Housing” that EGW makes?
No, Never heard of it. But I will search EGW's website right now. Thanks. I already traded off the Bobtailed Kimber, but it may end able to be traded back. Thanks.

Edit: Just found them. The Bobtail Regret MSH has the pin hole to fit a Bobtailed frame. I assume there would be a gap under the grips where part of the frame is missing, or does one just use Bobtailed grips? Would not that be ugly? Am I missing something? Searched the net for a pic of one of these installed and found nothing.

·
Premium Member
1,439 Posts
No, Never heard of it. But I will search EGW's website right now. Thanks. I already traded off the Bobtailed Kimber, but it may end able to be traded back. Thanks.

Edit: Just found them. The Bobtail Regret MSH has the pin hole to fit a Bobtailed frame. I assume there would be a gap under the grips where part of the frame is missing, or does one just use Bobtailed grips? Would not that be ugly? Am I missing something? Searched the net for a pic of one of these installed and found nothing.
There are Grips made with a fillet to give proper fit. Can’t remember which grip maker. Send George an email tomorrow and he can tell you.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
There are Grips made with a fillet to give proper fit. Can’t remember which grip maker. Send George an email tomorrow and he can tell you.
OK thanks. I use only thin grips, so that is a maybe. Not positive I could get the Bobtailed Kimber back, but maybe if I offered a good trade....

·
Registered
296 Posts
@Wildcat Creeker Sent you a PM.

Thanks Ray

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
So soon old, so late smart...
923 Posts
I have lusted after a lightweight CCO in 38 Super for a long time. I talked to Keith at one time about getting one built, but wasn't able to make it happen then. I've regretted it ever since. shoulda, cloulda, woulda. Anyway, I am still looking, watching classifieds on many sites. Hopefully someday I'll get lucky. Hope you do too!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts