1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ob·so·lete | \ ˌäb-sə-ˈlēt , ˈäb-sə-ˌlēt \
1a: no longer in use or no longer useful, an obsolete word

I watched a Youtube video recently about the HK P7 in which the video maker described it as obsolete.

He defined obsolete as "no longer in production." Even though it isn't in production anymore, I'd say that the P7 is not obsolete because it performs as well as any modern production handgun.

What do you all consider obsolete? Firearms or non-firearms tech.

·
Edge of Glory
146 Posts
I would have agreed "No longer in production" does not make something obsolete.......but, when I Googled the definition, "no longer produced or used; out of date" comes up. Also, to make something newer or better is part of the definition.

I would not have used that word, but what do I know.

·
Professional Pest, NRA Patron member
2,618 Posts
My 256 Newton chambered rifle might be considered obsolete. The last production of it I think was over 100 years ago.

·
Fun O' Meter on FULL
5,991 Posts
Common sense

·
We Are!
2,669 Posts
There are many in the gun-realm who consider our favored 1911 as “obsolete.”

I do not agree with that assessment and suspect most of us Addicts wouldn’t, either.

There have certainly been new developments since 1911, and many / most of them work quite well, also. I don’t think they’ve slated the 1911 into obsolescence.

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
That must include the model T, model A, Ruger o/u shotguns, Remington model 32, original Browning A5, ……… We still got some of 'em but they aren't produced any more. Apparently in some places things like "manners" and "courtesy" and holding a door open for a woman are obsolete as well.

·
Banned
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
when I Googled the definition, "no longer produced or used; out of date"
I saw that but I have issues with that definition. Back in engineering school, if memory serves, obsolete meant that it was no longer useful. Obsolescent had a different meaning in that something was still useful but had been supplanted by improved technology.

Some would say that with the advent of cordless drills, a brace and bit is obsolete. However, I've had cabinetmakers tell me that, to them, a brace and bit is still a useful tool. I don't have a brace and bit but I do have a Yankee drill which I use on a fairly regular basis.

Muzzle loading rifles are still being produced but they are obsolete as a military weapon. As a hunting rifle, they are still viable.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
This is why I don't waist time watching gun videos on YouTube anymore. Too many self proclaimed experts spreading bullsh*t.

Some of these guys gain popularity by simply being entertaining. Their popularity status then somehow gets conflated with being knowledgeable.

·
Fun O' Meter on FULL
5,991 Posts
I think the Hudson H9 comes to mind

Reactions: FWoo45

·
Banned
170 Posts
My dad thought me that, He was a High school teacher at some point of his life. People no longer have the need for it anymore.

·
Pulling my hair.
27,673 Posts
Me!!!! As far as govt. goes I live, believe in an era from a long time ago. I've said this before but for the NEW guys here they can read this and no why I'm obsolete.

No welfare at all, no food stamps, no govt. grants for anything and I mean ANYTHING!! No money not a penny given to any country on the planet, no money to NATO or WHO. Other countries pay our soldiers for us being there or pull out. No money for any abortions and the MURDER of children. No person in a federally elected position gets paid a penny. The house members can serve 4 terms and the senate 2.

That is a start so yea I'm obsolete. ;):)

And yes I believe all I just said. If your family, church, friends, or local charities won't help ya get by then die for all I care. If we did all that we would have WAY more money to help people but not robbed by the govt. to do it.

If we didn't have it in 10,00 BC, 1,000 AD or 1700 we don't need it as it is just the govt. robbing us.

·
Womb? Weary? He rests. He has travelled.
4,980 Posts
Walking on the correct side of a hallway or stairway. Yep, I am Teutonic.

Reactions: Andyd
1 - 20 of 24 Posts