1911 Firearm Addicts banner
41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
I can relate to that. I currently have two FN Mark III Hi Powers, and my hard chrome model has the WORST trigger of any pistol I currently own (the other may be the same, but its never been fired). I've been told it's mostly because of the magazine disconnect, and it needs a trigger job. The gunsmiths that were recommended to me said its wasn't worth sending it to them just for a simple trigger job...and I lack any interest in having additional custom work done. So, since I do not possess the motivation to tackle that job myself, they collect dust.

With that said, I will most likely NOT be interested in an SA version of this gun.
If you can detail strip the gun buy a C&S hammer, sear and spring package and you will be able to get a nice 4.5-5.5lb trigger that is clean, crisp and reliable. IMHO 80% of the way to a trigger job done by a good BHP gunsmith. This is what I often do with BHPs I am not going to customize beyond a trigger job. If you remove the mag disconnect also replace the trigger return spring with a heavier version. It will help the reset be less vague after the mag disconnect is removed.

·
Registered
7,456 Posts
I certainly agree with WVSigs advice in the above post. All of it together makes for a nice trigger.

Remember, it will never be a 1911 trigger due to it being hinged , but it can be made useable with the above advice

·
Registered
22 Posts
It would be nice if SA manufactured to original Spec, minus the mag disconnect and with a updated trigger with reset. That’s it! I‘ve got a 76C serialed HP, in pristine condition, in its original pouch. It would be nice to have a shooter, as my original has become a safe queen. 🤞

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
G&A online is running a poll (I borrowed the title of it for this thread), asking folks to guess at what the new release will be. Here are the latest results:

Rectangle Font Parallel Number Screenshot

Surprised so many folks think it will be an M1 Carbine.

·
Premium Member
638 Posts
If you can detail strip the gun buy a C&S hammer, sear and spring package and you will be able to get a nice 4.5-5.5lb trigger that is clean, crisp and reliable. IMHO 80% of the way to a trigger job done by a good BHP gunsmith. This is what I often do with BHPs I am not going to customize beyond a trigger job. If you remove the mag disconnect also replace the trigger return spring with a heavier version. It will help the reset be less vague after the mag disconnect is removed.
Thanks, mate. I may just try that. Will ditching the mag disconnect negatively impact resale value?

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Hi,
Well, if they got Imbel, in Brazil to do the forgings and then did some decent CNC work...

Here in the States, making a perfect Clone that would take OEM Browning Hi-Power Parts, like a FEG...

It would be VERY interesting, but a LOT, of "IF's"!!!

SAI, has impressed me more with their 1911's, than their M14 (M1A)...

We shall see.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Thanks, mate. I may just try that. Will ditching the mag disconnect negatively impact resale value?
Keep the parts and offer to reinstall them if you sell.

Reactions: Old Sea Dragon

·
Registered
989 Posts
It would be nice if SA manufactured to original Spec, minus the mag disconnect and with a updated trigger with reset. That’s it!..
The HP went extinct largely because FN/Browning didn't evolve it with the times. It was never going to catch up with the polymer revolution -- Glock replaced it, period, and for good reason. But FN probably could've downsized and repurposed HP production toward our kind of specialized buyers -- meaning Addicts -- and made themselves the Wilson/Nighthawk/GC/EB/LB/ACW/etc./etc./ad infinitum of customized Hi Powers.

Perhaps okay if SA offers an original spec version among an otherwise modernized line-up like they do for 1911s with the MilSpec model, but it makes much more sense to focus on versions that bring the HP up to speed: better sights; tuned trigger; high cut; front and back strap treatment; a usable thumb safety...basically all the things most of us pay to have done to make the HP a better shooter's tool.

But then again, since SA still won't do high cuts on any of their 1911s and only offers front strap treatment on a few select models, maybe this is all just dreamin'...

Either way, I hope it's at least quality and not a rebranded, lesser clone...

·
Registered
468 Posts
There are certainly strong clues Springfield plans to offer a clone of the Hi-Power, but I wish they or Ruger would make a clone of the Bren Ten. I just had to get that off my mind.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Reactions: Au Jus in Bello
41 - 53 of 53 Posts